REPAIRED: Another failed Bike Receiver/Hitch System

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Another failed Bike Receiver/Hitch System

I was thinking the same thing. The damage that could do to entire rear structure of the coach.
You have a huge 10" or 12" I-beam frame to build off of. Just over build the hitch and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
I did make my 30" extender tube out of 1/8" wall square tubing. It seems to be doing fine but I'm thinking maybe I should replace it with some 1/4 wall tubing.
It will be heavier but I won't have to worry about it. That is my weakest link right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just added 2 pictures to my thread of my hitch before it was welded on

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Is this really the backing for the ladder with the wiring between the backer, cap and ladder standoff's?

0316161609.jpg

This is a LM Syracuse. I wouldn't depend on the backers to support anything. They are not made or secured properly.

LM_Syracuse_a.jpg

SNOKING

Is this really the backing for the ladder with the wiring between the backer, cap and ladder standoff's?

View attachment 47113
The area those wires are in is the raise area down the side of the rear cap. I do agree that the ladder backing looks a little substandard! It's a RV!!!!

Chris

plshilo

Ok, sorry have been busy with our rig going back to CW to get All the parts installed that Heartland send to FL.
Jim & All,
Erika is correct our BC's do have a complete bumper and also the brackets for a hitch. What I have is a bolt on 2" receiver hitch and bike rack that holds the bikes from the wheels....Not the hanging type. Jim I know it is hard to see what is going on in the back, but at least you can see if like you say if they were Dragging or God Forbid Completely gone....we do have friend who lost his high-tech mountain bike off the back of his TT and Didn't know it till he stopped for fuel, had No Idea where or when....just gone. So Good Luck with the guy there doing the welding....Safe Travels

jbeletti

Okay - Bob, our WI Chapter Leader's brother who's an electrician, had a welder and repaired my two receiver brackets. He also added a gusset under the failed area of each. Bob reminded me he is an electrician, not a welder, but he did fine. I reinstalled the brackets and Cookie helped me put the receiver in and I readded that bike rack. Tomorrow, I'll put the bikes back on.

This should get us home easily. We may start leaving the bikes at home :) I may have a platform made to use that dual 2" receiver system to carry a smoker. I'm sure it will get plenty of bounce back there - so I need to really give it some thought.

Receiver Brackets - Repaired.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

we do have friend who lost his high-tech mountain bike off the back of his TT and Didn't know it till he stopped for fuel, had No Idea where or when....just gone.
I've seen more than one bike laying in the ditch along the highway.
Ouch.

Peace
Dave

dlw930

I've seen more than one bike laying in the ditch along the highway.
Ouch.

Peace
Dave

We've been thinking about getting bikes. Maybe I should start keeping a closer eye on the ditches...

Dave 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumboldles

My dealer had a local welder fabricate a two inch receiver hitch for bikes. The hitch was set up to use the existing holes in the frame. Notice the reinforced triangle iron sections for that weak point of the tube.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

plshilo

My dealer had a local welder fabricate a two inch receiver hitch for bikes. The hitch was set up to use the existing holes in the frame. Notice the reinforced triangle iron sections for that weak point of the tube.

View attachment 47149

View attachment 47148

View attachment 47150

Dumboldles,
Yeah we have the same brackets on our BC along with a bumper. We plan to bolt on a 2" receiver hitch to hold our bikes - by the way are very light road type....the ones that Jim has are much more heavy and need a much better build rack.

wildwolfproducts

Jim look into the stingers everyone uses in a 2.5" hitch. When I had my Truck camper. I had a 36" 2.5" extension, it had 1/4" thick walls on the tubing. Then a 2" tubing inside that one. It also was made from 1/4" tubing. I used this in my 2.5" receiver hitch for years sticking out 34" from the hitch. This cleared the overhang sticking out of the truck bed. Pulling a 20ft boat for thousands of miles no issues. Buddy of mine even pulls a 2 horse trailer with his. He has been doing it 14 years.
Will be putting a hitch on the back of our Key Largo. And it will be the 1/4" thick tubing. With gussets off each side and plated top and bottom with V plates. These plates top and bottom welded into the T section of the hitch. Will take lots more bounce then just the pieces like yours.
When we were welding up Gravel washers years ago. You learned that if it could crack. That 100 HP motor shaking tons per minute. Would find the weak spots. And with the gussets and plates welded. Even my welds held up to Thousands of hours or us.
Pete
https://jet.com/product/detail/d706...15&gclid=CKnj8ZXE384CFZGegQodRNsHUg&gclsrc=ds