Hearing of icemaker leaks in all models

CaptnJohn

As a real estate broker I have always suggested buyers toss the rubber hoses from washers and plastic hoses from ice makers and replace with metal hoses.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While that might be a good idea at a stationary house I don't think it's a good idea on an RV.
The vibrations of the solid line will eventually create a leak at the solid mounted fittings.
I would rather see a stainless braided ice maker line.
JMOP

Peace
Dave

CaptnJohn

That is what I meant. Available at all hardware stores. There have been a lot of reports of water damage due to ice makers in RVs lately ~~ only time until the washer/dryer numbers start climbing.
While that might be a good idea at a stationary house I don't think it's a good idea on an RV.
The vibrations of the solid line will eventually create a leak at the solid mounted fittings.
I would rather see a stainless braided ice maker line.
JMOP

Peace
Dave

Rhyph

In the couple of decades I've owned RV's with washer/dryers, not once have I had a leak using the standard rubber hoses. For when I've either bought or owned something approaching 7+ years of age, I run to the home improvement store of choice and get a replacement set to swap them out just because it's good maintenance to avoid a problem. I apply the same logic to the sticks and bricks.

As for the ice maker line, the one in our Bighorn came abused/damaged from the factory and on day one leaked because it was crushed by the factory rolling the fridge over it upon installation. I replaced it with a long leader and loop that I taped up against the back wall to keep it from being crushed or having stress put on it. There's also plenty of slack in it for when I might ever have to pull the fridge out in the future. It has been like that for about 1.5 years now without issue.