Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Az_Ernie

Made a stop at the local Lowes today and picked up an impulse purchase and needed the bed for hauling.

34pgxer.jpg

Hope your wife didn't break a nail putting that thing in there! :cool:

AZ_Ernie

Bogie

I will be taking it out next weekend for a longer trip (about 100 miles each way). I'll check in after that trip.

I just wanted to check back in regarding my first trip with the Anderson. As a refresher, I bought the 3220 which is the vertically shorter version of the hitch because my new truck is 9 inches higher than the old.

The first tow covered about 250 miles round trip and was great. We had no issues at all and really no chucking either. The trailer was a bit nose high, but I expected this. When I returned home I lowered the pin box 2 inches to try to level the trailer out. That seemed to work out okay, but reduced the trailer to bed clearance a little and caused the trailer to get really close to the Backflip cover (didn't touch though). Though we are done for this season, I may raise it by one notch on the Anderson ball (much easier than adjusting the pin box) the next time we tow.

Here are a couple of pictures. The first is before I lowered the pin box and then after. On the hitch picture, excuse the location of the safety chains. The tie downs that lock into the bed puck system hadn't arrived yet.

IMG_2422.jpgIMG_2430.jpgIMG_2457.jpg

Also, someone submitted a post with a locking mechanism for the Anderson. Since DW express concern that someone would steal her trailer from storage, I though I would share my version of the same thing that I made to help allay her fears. It could also be used when traveling if desired. The locking mechanism is made of a 1 3/4 hole saw bit with the teeth ground off. I drilled a hole in the handle mount and the hole saw bit to accept a long shafted padlock. I also painted the shaft of the locking handle with a red sharpie so it would stand out when opened.

IMG_2449.jpgIMG_2447.jpgIMG_2453.jpgIMG_2454.jpg