Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2011 Edge M18 Leak in front storage compartment

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: 2011 Edge M18 Leak in front storage compartment

DG72:
    I have the m18 edge. It has the exact leaking issues as your. Matter of fact I could had written your post verbatim. I am working my way through issues I am finding. I even climbed into compartment when flooding, I found that the water fill hose leaks when tank full and it burps. So I fixed that, but it not the issue.I believe it comes from the slide out because way to much water for screw hole or caulk issue.
    Did you fix issue ?

2. Print this Post   #12

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky6619 View Post
    DG72:
    I have the m18 edge. It has the exact leaking issues as your. Matter of fact I could had written your post verbatim. I am working my way through issues I am finding. I even climbed into compartment when flooding, I found that the water fill hose leaks when tank full and it burps. So I fixed that, but it not the issue.I believe it comes from the slide out because way to much water for screw hole or caulk issue.
    Did you fix issue ?
    Hello Sparky6619, Sorry I hadn't returned to the forum for quite a while. I've re-caulked all of the exterior joints, including all screws, vents, lights, windows, everything (except around the 3 lights at the top of the front cap).
    The rainy season came again here in Victoria and I still have a HUGE problem with this thing. I bought a slide-out awning (just waiting for a sunny day to install it), but that is really the last thing, other than having the slide-out re-worked somehow.
    The primary water issue is approximately a 3 foot by 2 foot area on the inside, slide-out side, in front of the wheel well and just in front of the (bed). I checked the hot water heater, and can't see any water entering around it. Water ends up on top of the floor, as well as under the floor between the layers. It's now discoloring.The second issue is at the front right of the camper under the storage compartment. I never have any water in the compartment, but rather in the underbelly layers themselves. As shown in an earlier picture I posted, it's looking up under the camper with a flashlight I see water droplets between the black membrane and inside edge of the camper, at the front. The inside walls and roof all look fine. However the floor itself is getting inundated with water between the layers. I still think its partly due to the channel UNDER the slideout. I could reach in and feel moisture in there, and along the bottom there are screws. I bet it runs into that channel, and then drains down around the screws and in through the last foot of the wall to the floor and underbelly. If so, that is a massive flaw. I haven't had any support from the dealer as of yet.

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by dq72 View Post
    Hello Sparky6619, Sorry I hadn't returned to the forum for quite a while. I've re-caulked all of the exterior joints, including all screws, vents, lights, windows, everything (except around the 3 lights at the top of the front cap).
    The rainy season came again here in Victoria and I still have a HUGE problem with this thing. I bought a slide-out awning (just waiting for a sunny day to install it), but that is really the last thing, other than having the slide-out re-worked somehow.
    The primary water issue is approximately a 3 foot by 2 foot area on the inside, slide-out side, in front of the wheel well and just in front of the (bed). I checked the hot water heater, and can't see any water entering around it. Water ends up on top of the floor, as well as under the floor between the layers. It's now discoloring.The second issue is at the front right of the camper under the storage compartment. I never have any water in the compartment, but rather in the underbelly layers themselves. As shown in an earlier picture I posted, it's looking up under the camper with a flashlight I see water droplets between the black membrane and inside edge of the camper, at the front. The inside walls and roof all look fine. However the floor itself is getting inundated with water between the layers. I still think its partly due to the channel UNDER the slideout. I could reach in and feel moisture in there, and along the bottom there are screws. I bet it runs into that channel, and then drains down around the screws and in through the last foot of the wall to the floor and underbelly. If so, that is a massive flaw. I haven't had any support from the dealer as of yet.
    dg72: I finally fixed mine. It the exact same issue as you have. I replaced the D seal around the slide out. yours will be the same. It will be the front seal follow it from top to bottom you will see that they did not properly tuck the ends. Also when worn the seal becomes loose. water will drip at bottom of seal into the camper run under couch into storage and under water heater and puddle in front of storage door. Sometimes into cabin floor if camper tilted toward awning side. Mine fixed now

4. Print this Post   #14

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky6619 View Post
    dg72: I finally fixed mine. It the exact same issue as you have. I replaced the D seal around the slide out. yours will be the same. It will be the front seal follow it from top to bottom you will see that they did not properly tuck the ends. Also when worn the seal becomes loose. water will drip at bottom of seal into the camper run under couch into storage and under water heater and puddle in front of storage door. Sometimes into cabin floor if camper tilted toward awning side. Mine fixed now

Great, thank you for the update!
    I'll replace the D Seal around mine too, in addition to installing the slide-out awning. Did you do it yourself? If so do you have any tips? Did you replace the bottom section under the slide-out? On mine, the bottom one looks a bit loose, however I don't know that I can replace it without removing the slide-out room from the camper.

5. Print this Post   #15

Quote Originally Posted by dq72 View Post
    Great, thank you for the update!
    I'll replace the D Seal around mine too, in addition to installing the slide-out awning. Did you do it yourself? If so do you have any tips? Did you replace the bottom section under the slide-out? On mine, the bottom one looks a bit loose, however I don't know that I can replace it without removing the slide-out room from the camper.
    dq:
    I only replaced the exterior D seal. Not the interior seal. The seal under the slide out is easy to change. If yours like mine. It is a 2 piece seal
    You more than likely do not need the bottom portion of the seal assembly. The top portion (D seal) slides into the lower section.
    Yes i have a suggestion. There will be a upper and lower screw that holds the vertical D-seal in place to keep it from sliding out of the lower seal.
    The lower seal is comprised of the wiper and a sloted groove for sliding D-seal into. I removed mine and used Black weatherstrip adhesive to re-install
    the piece back on. I used Rubber gloves and Denatured Alcohol to clean back of lower seal and the trailer wall. I used thin rubber gloves to apply
    the adhesive. I used a foam brush the same width as the seal to put it on both parts. Get several and its darn messy and you have to be quick to apply it
    to the part or else it will smear and try to pull back off the partas you smear it along the path. Then i used new Stainless Steel screws
    to attach the lower piece. Followed by sliding the D seal into the vertical positions first followed by the horizontal
    and then attaching the ends of the D-Seal with Stainless Steelscrews and a small washer to resist pull through.
    I almost forgot. I cleaned the lower seal wiper portion really good and applied pure silicoln luricant to ONLY the wiper portion. And then wiped it felt dry
    . Dont get silicoln on the part you will place adhesive on or adhesive will fail. Also when placing screws into lower section, be mindful to
    not overtighten as it causes the lower section to hump away from trailer wall and will leak.
    It sounds complicated but it was easy. No need in paying for it to be done and if you do it you will know it was done the way you want it.
    I bought my D-seal on Ebay. Got it quick but that stuff is expensive!!! they sell it by the foot so be sure to measure then add a couple feet
    for mistakes becouse you not want to have to splice this stuff.
    Okay now to stop a issue that does not help the water intrusion proplem, but maybe not a direct issue for you. Buy some gutter extension.
    Place them onto gutter above slide out. They are a little plastic elbow that will divert the water (Especialy from the AC) from running around seal
    and also splashing on the water heater door hinge. It helped me to get that possibility off the checklist.
    Next Get some low expansion foam. pick the coach up enough to get access to the corner where the bed and coach meet. then remove the plwood panel
    couple of screws. Clean up the dirt from around the 2 pipes going into the storage area. Fill up the entrance hole. I used the remaining foam to reseal where
    the factory came up short around the fender wells under coach and under the sink.
    Once done then get some clear water resistant fungicide type of silicoln sealant. Place a small un noticable bead around the entire kitchen
    and in front of coach where the tile meets the wood, Go into the storage compartment, remove the trim piece and use the foam between the front of compartment
    floor and the wall, be sparing then quickly re- install the piece of cheap junk trim. Then place a bead of silicoln where the entirior wall meets the storage
    compartment floor along with the side walls.
    Be sure to check that your water tank fill nozzle clamp is tight and no leaks from it. Especialy when it burps air water mix.
    If this dont fix the issue and dry it up then sell the darn thing!
    But be for warned that i have searched the blogs and every trailer seems to have some kind of leakage with slide outs, and if they dont then the floor will fall out when they
    find that they do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2