I have a water leak and don't know what it is

Georgia_Biker

Today I noticed some water dripping from my 2016 3875FB Big Horn. It is two years old and I have never seen this occur. On the left hand side just past the rear axles to the rear there is a blue line sticking out above the frame with a 90 degree white plastic elbow and water is dripping from it and it's cold.

Anyone know what this is and should I be alarmed?

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Drip One.jpg
    Drip One.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:

Oregon_Camper

Those are your fresh water tanks overflow valves. You probably just drove somewhere with the RV and water from the tank moves back and forth...some spilling over the valve.

I've put in separate valve (and tubing) to stop this. I open the valve when I fill the fresh water tank and close them for travel.

Link to Valve on Amazon

311KaIiakYL.jpg

Finally...here is what is looks like installed.

qqq.jpg

Georgia_Biker

Those are your fresh water tanks overflow valves. You probably just drove somewhere with the RV and water from the tank moves back and forth...some spilling over the valve.

I've put in separate valve (and tubing) to stop this. I open the valve when I fill the fresh water tank and close them for travel.

Link to Valve on Amazon

View attachment 52091

View attachment 52092

That makes sense - we just traveled from Salem, VA to Rocky Fork State Park in Hillsboro, OH - lots of wavy and crooked mountain roads - I have never seen so much stuff slung around inside. I rarely run more than 1/2 a tank of freshwater but, am carrying 3/4 right now. So nothing to be alarmed over - thanks!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Also if you have a bad Anderson valve or water pump check valve your fresh water tank will slowly fill up when your hooked to city water, Unknown​ to you.
Then the tank is full it will start leaking water from those vent's.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Georgia_Biker

Also if you have a bad Anderson valve or water pump check valve your fresh water tank will slowly fill up when your hooked to city water, Unknown​ to you.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

I am getting a little concerned - I have been here two days camping and this thing is still dripping. The fresh water tank is only showing 2/3 full. Of course the sensor may not be correct . I am going to turn the city water off for a little while to see if it stops - that might tell me something.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this helps
Jerrod

OK - What is the Anderson valve? If that is the valve you select City/Tank/ etc - I have had an occasion to replace it about a year ago because of failed O-rings, the water pump check valve is new to me - where would it be located?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes the Anderson valve is that valve you hook the hose to and select city- tank-normal or winterize
This is the internal part of the valve, this one​is missing a O-ring and was filling his fresh water tank.

The check valve is an internal valve inside of the water pump that should not allow the water pressure from city water to pass backwards through the pump and run back into the fresh water tank.

Hope that makes sense
Jerrod
a6578a068f039d3e3f376c240fa054a9.jpg

Georgia_Biker

Yes the Anderson valve is that valve you hook the hose to and select city- tank-normal or winterize
This is the internal part of the valve, this one​is missing a O-ring and was filling his fresh water tank.

The check valve is an internal valve inside of the water pump that should not allow the water pressure from city water to pass backwards through the pump and run back into the fresh water tank.

Hope that makes sense
Jerrod
a6578a068f039d3e3f376c240fa054a9.jpg

Thanks Jerrod - yes that is the little "booger" I replaced last year - Art sent me one free and if that is the problem I am ordering two this time to have a backup. Now how do you determine which valve it is?

Gary521

You can test to see if its the Anderson valve or the internal pump check valve by carefully removing hoses from the back of the UDC. First tracing which hose goes where. Be careful as you may get wet.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can test to see if its the Anderson valve or the internal pump check valve by carefully removing hoses from the back of the UDC. First tracing which hose goes where. Be careful as you may get wet.
This will work but I've found it's a lot easier to just remove the Anderson valve cartridge and you'll see if your missing an O-ring or not.
My issue was the pump check valve but what I've been finding is most of the issues have been the Anderson valve missing the O-ring.

Jerrod

mlpeloquin

Link to Valve on Amazon

View attachment 52091

View attachment 52092

OK. Now you are making me spend more money. Not a lot, but everyone has a lot of good ideas and solutions, and I end up spending more money! The ball valve is the best solution so long as you remember to open it for filling and use. If the valve remains closed, I don't think the fresh water tank is open to allow air in as water is pumped out. The suction would cause the tank to oilcan. If the fresh water tank does not oilcan, how does the air get in to relieve the negative pressure? Anyone experienced this?

Georgia_Biker

This will work but I've found it's a lot easier to just remove the Anderson valve cartridge and you'll see if your missing an O-ring or not.
My issue was the pump check valve but what I've been finding is most of the issues have been the Anderson valve missing the O-ring.

Jerrod

I am going ahead and order me a couple Andeson check valves - if I pull it out and the o-ring is bad - then I got to put it back until get one.

Thanks for your help.

Oregon_Camper

OK. Now you are making me spend more money. Not a lot, but everyone has a lot of good ideas and solutions, and I end up spending more money! The ball valve is the best solution so long as you remember to open it for filling and use. If the valve remains closed, I don't think the fresh water tank is open to allow air in as water is pumped out. The suction would cause the tank to oilcan. If the fresh water tank does not oilcan, how does the air get in to relieve the negative pressure? Anyone experienced this?

Agree on having to remember to open/close them. That is why my wife made me this awesome label for my UDC area....sometimes it is the simple things that work best.

Capture2.jpg

gasman

Camp Socializer
I also added the valves to the overflows however I have a word of caution concerning that. I always opened the valves when filling the tank and when pumping from the tank and all was well. When connected to city water, I left the valves closed. This winter we noticed a huge lump in the coroplast behind the axles. Upon investigation, we found that the Andersen valve had failed and was bypassing into the fresh water tank and had pressurized it to the point of nearly exploding. We took down the coroplast and inspected the tank and found that it was still intact...whew! We have now adopted a new procedure. The only time the overflow valves are closed now is when we are traveling. That won't prevent the valve failure but at least we would detect the problem when the overflow started dripping.

Georgia_Biker

Well I went and drained the fresh water tank down to one dot (light). I then turned off the water and twisted the Anderson valve to a few positions just to move it around and then made sure it was in the City position. I turned the water back on and so far I am not getting any additional water in the fresh water tank - that was yesterday morning.
Maybe the Anderson valve was no totally in the correct position???

This further convinces me RV's are female!

I did go ahead and order a couple Anderson valves and a Ice Maker waterline drain valve and Heartland is actually bringing the parts to me at the National Rally - pretty cool

MikeR

Well I went and drained the fresh water tank down to one dot (light). I then turned off the water and twisted the Anderson valve to a few positions just to move it around and then made sure it was in the City position. I turned the water back on and so far I am not getting any additional water in the fresh water tank - that was yesterday morning.
Maybe the Anderson valve was no totally in the correct position???

This further convinces me RV's are female!

I did go ahead and order a couple Anderson valves and a Ice Maker waterline drain valve and Heartland is actually bringing the parts to me at the National Rally - pretty cool

Open the drain valve on your fresh water tank and see if you get water out instead of letting it fill. You will know sooner.

Georgia_Biker

It will be a very very slow leak. Takes several days to fill the tank.

Jerrod-

It's been two days and now I notice my fresh water tank is acquiring water - you are right -it is slow. I'll just drain some more back out of the tank until I get to the rally in Goshen for parts.

sdwelling

Sounds very familiar. Replaced my Anderson valve free-of-charge after a call to them with same symptoms. Problem solved. You'll also want to check your water pump if I recall. The check valve could have failed, causing water to choose the wrong path to tank instead of just plumbing on city water. Did that, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk