Thread: No insulation

1. Print this Post   #1

No insulation

Let me start off by saying we love our new Gateway 3680 fb. As with most new products, I expected some bugs to work out, some construction debris to clean up, messy plumbing and wiring and general absence of quality control. In an effort to find a vent issue, I removed some of the plastic under covering and there was no insulation. Is this a mistake or ????? I noticed on our last trip ( and first trip ) that both ac units worked hard to keep it cool. I think the "r" value was advertised as (10).
    Am I the only one who has no insulation? Any help from Heartland?
    Thanks Chipper

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Re: No insulation

I would call Heartland and confirm what your unit was built with. Have your VIN handy. 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2013 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4, 115gal Dually Depot Aux Tank
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL High-Speed Observation Camera
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

3. Print this Post   #3

Was there radiant foil instead of traditional batting?

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

4. Print this Post   #4

Thanks danemayer and Travel Tiger for the quick response. There is a layer of foil kind of shoved on top of the material screwed to the frame. It's wadded in places and there was no effort to make it or the plastic airtight as there is a gap between every screw going into the frame. Some of these are open 3/4" or more leaving the wood floor pretty much exposed to moisture (especially when traveling in the rain).
    I just talked to Dustin at Heartland and found out that this unit had no floor insulation installed. Ordered that way? Also the front closet gets very hot when the sun hits it. I took the little shelf out, at the front cap, and found a layer of foil down about 2/3 the way down the front cap (stopped about 2'from the floor). There was also some bat insulation hanging from the top of the cap and some that had fallen down. Also this bat insulation stopped well short of both corners leaving both areas uninsulated.
    My thoughts are to something like Solar Guard in the front cap and under as well. I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks Chipper

5. Print this Post   #5

On the higher-end coaches with the Yeti option, you'll find a layer of radiant foil stretched out above the coroplast, with batting above that. In the front and rear caps, same thing. They also put in radiant foil on the slideout floors.

When the coaches are built, the coroplast goes on the bottom while the frame is upside down, early in manufacturing. That's the last time it lays flat with no gaps, except for cutouts around the springs.

Holding tank expansion can distort the shape of the coroplast. Then once distorted a bit, if it ever has to be taken down, when put back up, it won't lay flat at all. Some people have filled gaps between screws with expanding foam. And others have used scraps of rubber or other material to close up some of the cutouts around the springs.

But if you're towing through heavy rain, you can expect water to get into the underbelly. If you use a bit to poke a few 1/4" holes in the coroplast low spots, rainwater should drain. And if you don't seal all the gaps, the airflow will probably take care of residual moisture.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #6

My Gateway also just has the radiant foil on top of the chloroplast with no bat type insulation. The floor insulation is a rigid foam that is laminated into the floor structure itself.
    2015 Gateway 3650BH
    2013 Heartland Pioneer DS31 (sold)
    2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
    2005 F250 CC 6.0 FX4
    1977 Bronco

7. Print this Post   #7

On a good note and inspection of the downstairs floor, there seems to be some areas insulated with a black scrim faced fiberglass while other areas have the scrim with no insulation. Also Dustin with Heartland was very helpful.
    Next week I am taking it to the dealer to fix the toilet vent issue, where this all began. (I've been trying to find out how many tanks are there, which ones are for which sinks,lavatories, toilets, which indicators are for which tanks and how they are vented). The upper toilet gets pressurized and blast stuff and odor out when flushed. Anyway when I get it back I'll add some insulation, seal the pipe holes and the insulation along the frame. (And poke some holes in the chloroplast)
    Thanks Chipper