Another Dometic failure!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
On Wednesday a mobile tech confirmed what I already knew, front AC doesn’t cool. New blizzard unit on the way. Covered by dometic warranty, 3 months left. My out of pocket is the mobile tech fee but I’m good with that. Immediate service. First opening in the shop was 3 weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to pay for two trips out Lyle?

We’re back to 2 functioning ACs. Mobile tech returned today with a helper to install the replacement. He did a bit of work in and around the plenum before setting the new one in place. Sure made a significant improvement reducing the interior noise level.

8d54a0174c010877ba17adef7973a0b4.jpg

Captainmike

Congrats! Not a moment too soon. Do you know what he did exactly to reduce the noise level?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ziggysun

We’re back to 2 functioning ACs. Mobile tech returned today with a helper to install the replacement. He did a bit of work in and around the plenum before setting the new one in place. Sure made a significant improvement reducing the interior noise level.

8d54a0174c010877ba17adef7973a0b4.jpg

Hi Lyle,

I see you're in PA (know it's a big state though!) Was wondering if you could share the name of your Mobile Tech? Although I do realize they may not cover our specific area.

Our bedroom AC started short cycling the final night we were at the NE Rally and the dealer performed the TSB for the Dometic Blizzards when we originally purchased our Big Country and everything seemed to be fine, but looking back our use of the AC while camping has been somewhat limited since we camp more frequently in the Fall. I think the last time we used the AC might be last August! My husband is planning to get up on the roof this weekend and pull the cover off to see if it's something obvious, but if it's something more involved would be nice to have a Plan B as we can't find any authorized dealers that want to work with us and going back to the selling dealer isn't an option since we don't want them working on the camper (long story) and our current ACs have another 5 - 6 months left on warranty.

travelin2

Congrats! Not a moment too soon. Do you know what he did exactly to reduce the noise level?

Should’ve taken a picture but didn’t want to get in the way of the paid help!!!
Anyway, visualize the square opening with a piece of fiberboard, as wide as the opening is deep, running from corner to corner. He attached, with wide sticky tape, a narrow triangular piece of rubber type foam, long side to the fiberboard/short side to the box perimeter. (I’m assuming the foam was included with the new unit). The additional piece of foam added strength & rigidity to that piece of fiberboard that divides the intake from the outflow. He said it was likely acting like a reed in the wind causing a vibration.
Certainly an improvement.

Last edited:

travelin2

Hi Lyle,

I see you're in PA (know it's a big state though!) Was wondering if you could share the name of your Mobile Tech? Although I do realize they may not cover our specific area.

Our bedroom AC started short cycling the final night we were at the NE Rally and the dealer performed the TSB for the Dometic Blizzards when we originally purchased our Big Country and everything seemed to be fine, but looking back our use of the AC while camping has been somewhat limited since we camp more frequently in the Fall. I think the last time we used the AC might be last August! My husband is planning to get up on the roof this weekend and pull the cover off to see if it's something obvious, but if it's something more involved would be nice to have a Plan B as we can't find any authorized dealers that want to work with us and going back to the selling dealer isn't an option since we don't want them working on the camper (long story) and our current ACs have another 5 - 6 months left on warranty.

We live in central PA. The mobile tech was from Susquehanna RV in Selinsgrove, primarily a Forest River dealer.
You can use any local mobile tech for non-Heartland warranty work. This AC had several months left on the warranty. All you need to find is a tech certified to perform Dometic warranty claims.
We’ve used several mobile techs across the country for warranty work on this rig and the previous one.
The fee certainly offsets any downtime spent sitting in a dealer’s service shop.

Captainmike

Should’ve taken a picture but didn’t want to get in the way of the paid help!!!
Anyway, visualize the square opening with a piece of fiberboard, as wide as the opening is deep, running from corner to corner. He attached, with wide sticky tape, a narrow triangular piece of foam, long side to the fiberboard/short side to the box perimeter. (I’m assuming the foam was included with the new unit). The additional piece of foam added strength & rigidity to that piece of fiberboard that divides the intake from the outflow. He said it was likely acting like a reed in the wind causing a vibration.
Certainly an improvement.

Makes perfect sense, thank you for the detailed description. I'm about to add a second AC to my unit and was very curious what he did to make it quieter.

ziggysun

We live in central PA. The mobile tech was from Susquehanna RV in Selinsgrove, primarily a Forest River dealer.
You can use any local mobile tech for non-Heartland warranty work. This AC had several months left on the warranty. All you need to find is a tech certified to perform Dometic warranty claims.
We’ve used several mobile techs across the country for warranty work on this rig and the previous one.
The fee certainly offsets any downtime spent sitting in a dealer’s service shop.

Thank you for the info.

There is a part of me that would like to replace both a/c's with low profile units, but since they're still under warranty that seems like a waste of money right now.