BIG OOP's Today!

Greggshere

Well I hooked the Terry all up today, as I needed to take it and dump the tanks. Hooked everything up to the truck, check. Removed the water hose, check. Raised the stabilizers, check. Unplugged the power cord and stowed it away, check. Removed the wheel chocks, check. Check the lights, check. Put everything inside in traveling position and locked the door, check. Good to go, yep. Pulled out and turned right onto the street and heard, BLAM, Scrape! Oops, forgot about my driveway drop off and that I need to pull out further with the Terry attached! The passenger side tire fell off the driveway and I pulled it across the ditch with the right rear stabilizer crushed and dragging. I pulled it down the road a block or so and stopped to assess the damage. Believe it or not everything looked fine except the stabilizer which was crushed. Anyway, I went ahead and took it to the trailer park and dumped and flushed the tanks.
Decided to get inside and see what all damage had occurred. I had visions of cabinetry fallen or the microwave or TV on the floor. Much to my surprise and delight there was no damage. I didn't even lose anything off the walls, pictures, plates, etc. I hang everything using a combination of screws and two side tape and it all held. I guess these are made pretty darn solid overall. Below are some photos.

IMG_0969.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0970.jpgIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpgIMG_0968.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ouch! Sorry to see your oops but hopefully a lesson learned you'll always remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Furious10

Wow...sorry that happened. Sounds like an easy fix and, as stated, lesson learned :eek:. I'm still not used to having the trailer behind the truck. To make matters worse, I bought a new truck with the 8' bed. My other trucks all had a short bed. So everything seems HUGE.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ironically, five years ago today (9-11-2012) we bought our first Heartland product . . . a 2013 Trail Runner 22RK.

Here it is about five minutes after we pulled it out of the dealership for the first time:

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg

Anyway, when I got it home and backed it alongside the garage, I leveled and unhooked it, then dropped the rear scissor jacks.

Before I dropped the front scissor jacks I gave the tongue crank a little extra snug to put a little more pressure on the rear jacks (which I did all the time with our old 1978 camper that we just traded in ours earlier), and one of the stock scissor jacks snapped in half (the very one you can see in the photo above)!

Hadn't even owned the camper two hours yet . . . :p

A new one cost me $100 bucks and I replaced it myself.

Greggshere

Ouch! Sorry to see your oops but hopefully a lesson learned you'll always remember.

Yeah, you got that right, I'll definitely remember it now! :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow...sorry that happened. Sounds like an easy fix and, as stated, lesson learned :eek:. I'm still not used to having the trailer behind the truck. To make matters worse, I bought a new truck with the 8' bed. My other trucks all had a short bed. So everything seems HUGE.

Yes I can imagine, mine is a crew cab with the 6'5" bed, and it is huge to me. It's the first truck I owned in 35 years and it seems huge. Nice and comfortable, but long. I still have trouble putting it into a RH parking space, it's always at an angle and wont fit. I pretty much pull through a double space when available or turn left into a space.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, five years ago today (9-11-2012) we bought our first Heartland product . . . a 2013 Trail Runner 22RK.

Here it is about five minutes after we pulled it out of the dealership for the first time:
Anyway, when I got it home and backed it alongside the garage, I leveled and unhooked it, then dropped the rear scissor jacks.

Before I dropped the front scissor jacks I gave the tongue crank a little extra snug to put a little more pressure on the rear jacks (which I did all the time with our old 1978 camper that we just traded in ours earlier), and one of the stock scissor jacks snapped in half (the very one you can see in the photo above)! Hadn't even owned the camper two hours yet . . . :pA new one cost me $100 bucks and I replaced it myself.

Ouch, yeah I bet that definitely hurt your feelings a bit. Mine was really an embarrassment thing, as my neighbor was across the street watching me the whole time! I'm sure he was laughing his arse off when I drove off the driveway. That's why I took it down the block a ways before stopping to check it over.

JohnD

It's the first truck I owned in 35 years and it seems huge. I still have trouble putting it into a RH parking space, it's always at an angle and wont fit. I pretty much pull through a double space when available or turn left into a space.

I've been driving big trucks and vans for years and I've found that if the parking spaces aren't angled or pull through it is much easier to back in to the parking space.

This almost always makes it easier to get out of the spot, most especially if someone parks too close on one side or the other.

NewTruck2500HD-IMG_20140823_121212002.jpg

MTPockets

You guys have it sooooo easy.. minor issues not even close to my experience.. While backing into a really great campsite in Yellowstone National Park, with several other campers observing my parking and backing skills, I was nearly finished and got out to see how much further I could back in when it happened. I turned my head and dropped my favorite chewing gum onto the ground!!! It was fresh and my favorite! Disaster!!!

JohnD

You guys have it sooooo easy.. minor issues not even close to my experience.. While backing into a really great campsite in Yellowstone National Park, with several other campers observing my parking and backing skills, I was nearly finished and got out to see how much further I could back in when it happened. I turned my head and dropped my favorite chewing gum onto the ground!!! It was fresh and my favorite! Disaster!!!

And that was probably your last piece of gum, too!

Miss you guys . . .

Wish your were going to be at the Mancos Rally this weekend . . .

Greggshere

I've been driving big trucks and vans for years and I've found that if the parking spaces aren't angled or pull through it is much easier to back in to the parking space.

This almost always makes it easier to get out of the spot, most especially if someone parks too close on one side or the other.

View attachment 54482

Hmmm...I'll have to try that, love your truck by the way.

Furious10

One nice thing about this F150...it has a rear camera and the backup assist. Just push a button, turn a knob and it does the rest. I look like a pro backing in to spaces, now.

- - - Updated - - -

:D:eek::rolleyes:. Hahahaha...love it.

Greggshere

I saw that advertised on a commercial, that is so cool. So it puts a trailer where you want it without you even touching the steering wheel?

Furious10

I saw that advertised on a commercial, that is so cool. So it puts a trailer where you want it without you even touching the steering wheel?

You turn the knob and the truck controls the brakes, steering and gas. It's amazing.

BobbyandGenee

Oh man! Looks like the jack may have actually saved the rig from doing a serious bottom out!! The day we brought ours home, we went out to the State Park where there is a BIG dirt field. I practiced backing up without jack knifing, and multi point turn arounds. That little practice has payed off so many times! I have slid that our RV into some REALLY tight spaces out camping. But pulling it with the dually long distances you tend to forget the RV is behind you.......I have accidentally cut off a few drivers changing lanes!

Attachments

• IMG_4849.jpg
    IMG_4849.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 48

Greggshere

I got my replacement jack off Amazon, and they came as a pair for$53. They are pretty much exact replacements but are heavier duty with bigger diameter screws. I'm so impressed I am going to order two more and just change them all out. I think it will make the Terry more stable than it is now. Turning lemons into lemonade.

Greggshere

Here are the pictures of the old stabilizer vs. the new one. The new one has the gold colored screw with is bigger diameter probably 1/2' vs. 3/8" or something like that on the original one. I'm going to order another pair of them for the front. Before when the wife was turning in her sleep I could feel the camper moving a little bit. With the new ones on the back I don't feel it.

IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0983.jpg

BobbyandGenee

Did the bolt pattern onto the frame line up? In other words no mew drilling for mounting? I have noticed that the morning after our arrival, I have to go back and give all the jacks an extra turn. I assumed it was settling of earth below the jack. But it would appear from your comment that the jack itself was relaxing. So this swap out may be something we do. I just want to be careful and not "over jack" the frame. On one trip in an attempt to get it stabile I lifted the front so much the tongue jack had no tension on it!

Greggshere

Three of the four holes lined up. I drilled one new hole on the outside edge.