Exhaust Brake

SNOKING

I think this reply answers the original question. Low traction situations are probably when you may not want to use it. Also trailer brakes can cause issues in low traction situations if they are set too high.

To take the trailer brake issue a step further, in many mountainous areas one has to chain up at least one trailer axle in snow and ice conditions like the Siskiyou Pass in at the Calif/Oregon border on I-5. Chris

NYSUPstater

Many towns/cities have signs stating no engine brakes (read Jake Brake) due to loud bark by some due to some factors. Most modern Jake's are very quiet, but still have a small bark to them. Semis can switch from low-med-high settings depending on weight and how much ooomph they need to get whoaed up. Jakes can be used on snow, but in lowest setting. Personally, I don't use my Jake in the winter, but rely on brakes and getting slowed up much sooner than if on dry roads in same area. Do NOT have any type of engine or exhaust brake on while going downhill or on curves in the winter UNLESS you know the roads are dry. If not, you'll be kissing the trailer.

Now I was told once that if you don't have a Jake/exhaust brake or if it's not working, you can always deploy the New Jersey Jake brake. Roll window down stick head out and yell " Whoa (insert your choice of words)"....repeat.:D

Lynn1130

I suppose in areas where it is posted "No Exhaust Brakes." I have seen this in certain communities while driving through.

Two different animals. Exhaust and Jake.

There is no reason NOT to use it when towing. Even gradual slow downs are faster with the exhaust brake on. Technically, with the Chevy/GMC, at least, it is a turbo brake and not exhaust as with a Banks Exhaust system for older Chevys. I added the exhaust brake to my 04 and that was a mechanical addition to the exhaust system and a butterfly that closed to create back pressure.

SNOKING

I routinely see signs like these. Pickup truck exhaust brakes are a different animal. Chris

engine-compression-brake-illegal-sign-k-0497.png

no-engine-brake-truck-sign-k-0499.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release_engine_brake

CDN

B and B
In the winter just driving my daily driver F 350 I use the exhaust brake and tow haul mode as well with 4 by 4 on Ice and snow. The truck is an easy handle on icy and snow packed roads.

farside291

I was told it is because when the exhaust brake engages and slows down the truck, no brake lights come on the trailer. On big trucks, and correct me if I am wrong, when the engine brake engages the tail lights illuminate on the trailer? I use it all the time when towing also, works great In conjunction with tow haul and cruise.

CoveredWagon

I was told it is because when the exhaust brake engages and slows down the truck, no brake lights come on the trailer. On big trucks, and correct me if I am wrong, when the engine brake engages the tail lights illuminate on the trailer? I use it all the time when towing also, works great In conjunction with tow haul and cruise.

i don’t believe the brake lights come on. The Jake is merely slowing the truck not braking it as such. Many years ago when I worked on them the brake lights did not illuminate. In today’s world anything is possible though.

NYSUPstater

UPS has this set up on their newest trucks. I travel w/ a buddy who works for them and it always messes me up when I'm behind him cuz his brake lights come on and I'm thinking he's slowing down for something. He's always in front of me as well cuz he has what I call a "Collision Alarm" but techicnally it's called a "Collision Mitigation System" which slows his truck down if closer than "X" feet from vehicle in front. My truck doesn't have it. Plus it sets off an alarm if too close (which he's not, but company has a set distance programed into it). So it's easier just to have him in front. Not only that, but he'll hit the deer before me and I have the deer guard!!! Nice guy I am huh?! You are seeing this "CMS" now on a lot of passenger cars/trucks----and starting to see it more as standard or at least optional on semis. Cannot answer on the brakes lights coming on for them, but for at least UPS, they do.

UPS has this set up on their newest trucks. I travel w/ a buddy who works for them and it always messes me up when I'm behind him cuz his brake lights come on and I'm thinking he's slowing down for something. He's always in front of me as well cuz he has what I call a "Collision Alarm" but techicnally it's called a "Collision Mitigation System" which slows his truck down if closer than "X" feet from vehicle in front. My truck doesn't have it. Plus it sets off an alarm if too close (which he's not, but company has a set distance programed into it). So it's easier just to have him in front. Not only that, but he'll hit the deer before me and I have the deer guard!!! Nice guy I am huh?! You are seeing this "CMS" now on a lot of passenger cars/trucks----and starting to see it more as standard or at least optional on semis. Cannot answer on the brakes lights coming on for them, but for at least UPS, they do.

I have a new Chevy 3500 and use the exhaust brake when towing with no problems.
Did the same on my old 2500. Love it.

NYSUPstater

I have a new Chevy 3500 and use the exhaust brake when towing with no problems.
Did the same on my old 2500. Love it.

My advice about using it during the winter is when you are on snow covered or icy roads. Reason being is that the exhaust brake is kicking in and trying to slow the engine down which ultimately is slowing the tires down and if on said roads can lead them to lose traction faster than you are going. Kinda like if you use cruise control on same roads (NOT recommended---just using this as an example) and you cross over a bridge that may have black ice. Cruise doesn't know it, and once on the bridge, the cruise maxes all the power to the wheels and wants them to go faster cuz they "lost" traction . So if set at 60 mph, cruise will actually kick the speed up to the tires substantially (or full bore-cuz it doesn't know it's on ice but sense it lost traction) causing the tires to rotate faster and again lose traction. Next thing ya know yer doing the loop-de-loo. What I do is NOT use cruise at times during the winter OR keep on the gas pedal when crossing bridges---just let my momentum take me across. No power to wheels=no spinning of tires.

I want to point out tho that my Jake is a hellofa lot more powerful than a exhaust brake on pick-ups. I can choose between low-med-high, whereas pickups are either on or off but do not have same amount of force to slow engine down even tho it's essentially doing the same thing as my Jake. I have heard of semi drivers using or setting their Jake to low or med during the winter on snow, but I cannot bring myself to do the same. Basically, I have to be on my toes more so and plan far ahead of my stopping/slowing down (if on snow /icy roads) and use foot brake, ease off gas and let trans slow me down. In regards to my comment about the trans, leave it in higher gear w/o no power to it and let it "lug" if you will. Once slow enough, then downshift. Sounds nuts, but if I downshift too soon, it will cause tires to lose traction due to forward motion is faster than what the trans is trying to do (slow ya down).

What really stinks nowadays is automatics in semis and trying to get unstuck or to move from dead stop in snow. With manual trans, put into 4th or 5th and let torque of engine get you moving. I never believed it until years ago I was told this and it worked. Using 1st or 2nd and you'll spin tires like crazy. Autos, we don't have the option of a higher gear from dead stop. Sadly because of this, we spin tires and basically spin 'em like H***, smoken and smellin to high heaven till we get traction (down to blacktop or gravel). May move just a couple inches at times so have to go back/forth in same "rut" till we get out.

Jim.Allison

The RAM owners manual cautions against using the "exhaust brake" in slippery conditions. But I can tell you if you have not towed in the mountains with that exhaust brake you don't know what a jewel it is.

porthole

Retired
Exactly, Jake brakes are a different beast. The true Jake break is a "engine" brake where as we and other light duty diesels have "exhaust brakes".

"Jake" brake, shortened from "Jacobs" brake, which is engine compression braking, and can be noisy with unrestricted exhaust.

Light Duty Trucks
They are not exhaust brakes.

The DMax was the first to use variable vane geometry turbo "VGT" in the light duty truck market. That technology allowed the use of 'turbo braking' which is not exhaust brake. Ford followed with eh 6.7 but did not add turbo braking until the 2015 model year IIRC.

With both the Ford and DMax, aftermarket kits were available to allow turbo braking.

Ram used an exhaust brake until several years ago, they also switched to the VGT for brake assist.

- - - Updated - - -

No one said “not to”. Reading these replies just adds to my curiosity as to why the on off switch that has to be engaged every time the vehicle is started.

Safety feature for the everyday driver.

Engine, turbo, compression etc braking can be hazardous in slippery conditions, ice, snow, gravel or just really slick roads.

The system doesn't know what kind of road you are on, so aggressive 'automatic' braking can cause a traction loss issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I routinely see signs like these. Pickup truck exhaust brakes are a different animal. Chris

engine-compression-brake-illegal-sign-k-0497.png

The 'Jake Brake' is an engine compression braking feature, and the noisy one.

Telma retarders on the other hand are silent and work fantastic.

carl.swoyer

Just got a new 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with the tap on/tap off exhaust brake. I'm pretty sure this question could pertain to any make/model with an exhaust brake.

Question is, why WOULDN'T I use it when towing?

Thanks in advance.
So I'm curious?
My 05 Silverado crew cab long bed 6.6 Duramax LLY 2500. Would it be possible to install the exhaust break on my truck and if so what would you think it would cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

So I'm curious?
My 05 Silverado crew cab long bed 6.6 Duramax LLY 2500. Would it be possible to install the exhaust break on my truck and if so what would you think it would cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I believe Gale Banks makes one for your truck. That is best I remember. Cost ????

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So I'm curious?

I think your 05 would be the same as my 02 in that they were still using a fixed vane turbo. If so, you need to install a true exhaust brake in the exhaust piping like I did. I purchased a Banks system which included the 4 inch exhaust and tuner package for just around $3k. The exhaust brake system was $1160. Installed myself and instructions were very precise. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I think your 05 would be the same as my 02 in that they were still using a fixed vane turbo. If so, you need to install a true exhaust brake in the exhaust piping like I did. I purchased a Banks system which included the 4 inch exhaust and tuner package for just around $3k. The exhaust brake system was $1160. Installed myself and instructions were very precise. Love it.

I have the Dual Bully Dog exhaust so all I would need then? would be the exhaust brake installed correct

SNOKING

I have the Dual Bully Dog exhaust so all I would need then? would be the exhaust brake installed correct

You will need at least the down pipe from the exhaust brake. It has to match up to the existing exhaust system at some point. When I put a Bank EB on our 2001.5 RAM I ended up also using Banks intermediate pipe also, to match up to my Magnaflow SS after market exhaust. So I was able into install the system myself.

Other than that you are off to a exhaust/muffle shop to get the systems tied together.

Banks may know, call them.

Chris

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Like Snoking said I'd call Banks. I dealt with Nick who was very helpful. The brake mounts at the end of the first section of exhaust pipe off the turbo downpipe. It has a 4 bolt flange connection, so there may be an intermediate pipe that comes to make the transition from your system.

Banks brake runs off an included on board air compressor rather than engine vacuum as some do so there is that to install also.

DMaxRocks

So I'm curious?

Carl,

The LLY has a variable vane turbo on it. You can get a program to load into the ECM that will allow you to activate turbo brake. Below is a cut-n-paste from duramaxhub.com on the LLY specs...
[h=3]6.6L DURAMAX LLY SPECS[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Engine:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.6L Duramax LLY, 90 degree V8 diesel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Years Produced:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2004 - 2006[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VIN Code:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 (8th digit of VIN)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Displacement:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]403 cubic inches, 6.6 liters[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assembly Site:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DMAX engine plant, Moraine, Ohio[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Head/Block Material:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aluminum cylinder heads, cast iron engine block[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Compression Ratio:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17.5 : 1 (2004 & 2005 model years), 16.8 : 1 (2006 model year)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minimum Cylinder Pressure:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]300 psi (minimum compression test pressure)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Firing Order:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
cylinder-numbers.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bore:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.055" (103 mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stroke:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.897" (99 mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aspiration:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Turbocharged and intercooled - Garrett GT3788VA variable vane turbocharger (VVT), air-to-air intercooler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Injection:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Direct injection, 23,000 (26,000 for 2006 MY) psi high pressure common rail with Bosch CP3 injection pump[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Valvetrain:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OHV (overhead valve), 4 valves per cylinder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oil Capacity:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 quarts w/ filter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine Weight:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx. 835 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Idle Speed:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]~ 680 rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Max Engine Speed:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3,250 rpm (rev limiter)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Emissions Equipment:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peak Horsepower:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]310 hp @ 3,000 rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peak Torque:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• 520 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm (2004 & 2005 model years)
• 605 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm (2006 model year)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine Dimensions:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Length[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Width[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Height[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx 30"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx 30"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx 32"[/FONT]

This question would garner more responses if you posted it in a Duramax forum like dieseplace.com or duramaxforum.com.

Let us know what you find out and plan on implementing.

Good luck!

-Mark