Exhaust Brake

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Just got a new 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with the tap on/tap off exhaust brake. I'm pretty sure this question could pertain to any make/model with an exhaust brake.

Question is, why WOULDN'T I use it when towing?

Thanks in advance.

SNOKING

Just got a new 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with the tap on/tap off exhaust brake. I'm pretty sure this question could pertain to any make/model with an exhaust brake.

Question is, why WOULDN'T I use it when towing?

Thanks in advance.

I use ours all the time, even when not towing. I wish RAM had an option to leave it selected. Chris

LBR

I use ours all the time, even when not towing. I wish RAM had an option to leave it selected. Chris
Same here, even when not towing...newer Fords have a push for on, push for off button to select either manual or automatic exhaust braking modes.

Last edited:

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Is your question using it on flat terrain when towing as opposed to in the mountains? My understanding is it will work whenever it is activated. I see more value in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Is your question using it on flat terrain when towing as opposed to in the mountains? My understanding is it will work whenever it is activated. I see more value in the mountains.

Off ramps are another place, traffic slowdowns etc etc etc. Saves the service brakes and keeps the exhaust brake exercised. Chris

CoveredWagon

I suppose in areas where it is posted "No Exhaust Brakes." I have seen this in certain communities while driving through.

Did that sign say “exhaust brakes” or engine brakes or what? They are referring to Jake Brakes, the kind found on class 8 (semi) trucks. The kind that go “blablablal” when in use. You’ll never hear an exhaust brake. They’ve been used in Europe for years because of that very reason.
Use your exhaust brake. It’s there for a reason.

jerryjay11

Did that sign say “exhaust brakes” or engine brakes or what? They are referring to Jake Brakes, the kind found on class 8 (semi) trucks. The kind that go “blablablal” when in use. You’ll never hear an exhaust brake. They’ve been used in Europe for years because of that very reason.
Learned something new today. 67 and still earning. May have said engine brakes. Been awhile since I last seen one.

CarterKraft

Exactly, Jake brakes are a different beast. The true Jake break is a "engine" brake where as we and other light duty diesels have "exhaust brakes".

Check youtube for explanation if you are interested.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I just put an exhaust brake system on my 2002 Chevy 3500. Back in the day they didn't come factory installed. I think the newer turbos have variable vanes which make variable exhaust braking a possibility now.

ramdually4100king

The 2018 RAMs (at least the 5500s) exhaust break has two settings.
1) auto - will only engage when the brakes are applied. Allows coasting when no breaks are applied.
2) full - you let off the throttle and your head hits the steering wheel.

And the truck remembers the last setting. So no more turning it on every time the truck is started.

I leave mine on auto except for when I’m towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

The 2018 RAMs (at least the 5500s) exhaust break has two settings.
1) auto - will only engage when the brakes are applied. Allows coasting when no breaks are applied.
2) full - you let off the throttle and your head hits the steering wheel.

And the truck remembers the last setting. So no more turning it on every time the truck is started.

I leave mine on auto except for when I’m towing.

Our 2015 has the same two modes also, and when the trailer is plugged in it remembers either Tow Haul or Exhaust Brake, I do not remember which. I think it is tow haul(makes sense, it can "see" the trailer). Auto works with CC and tries to keep speed on a down hill at CC speed. I find however that it runs 4 or so MPH over the CC speed. So I run the full mode 99% of the time. Chris

SNOKING

No one said “not to”. Reading these replies just adds to my curiosity as to why the on off switch that has to be engaged every time the vehicle is started.

They do not want it to be on in a low traction situation, think ice or snow, so they force you to select it. Chris

PondSkum

They do not want it to be on in a low traction situation, think ice or snow, so they force you to select it. Chris

I think this reply answers the original question. Low traction situations are probably when you may not want to use it. Also trailer brakes can cause issues in low traction situations if they are set too high.