Water leaking into front storage on 2013 Big Horn 5th wheel

jlfolde

We discovered water in the storage area. My husband removed the storage wall where the water seemed to be leaking and he found where a plumbing joint was leaking. It was an "elbow" type of joint. We purchased a replacement from Camping World...it did not look exactly the same, but the service person said that was the correct one. He installed it...checked to make sure it wasn't leaking and we thought all was well...until the next weekend when we went camping and water only trickled out of the shower head. Does anyone have any idea why this could have happened?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are in Florida I doubt that freezing came in to play.
So my question would be do you use a pressure regulator on your city water. Do you?
Heartland says 60 psi input. I think. There are a few RV parks that are in the 100 psi range.
Were the fittings broken or just leaking from not being tight?

Peace
Dave

bh3585

If I understand this right. You replaced the elbow and you now have just a trickle coming from the shower head and no leak, or is it still leaking and a trickle from the shower head.

jlfolde

Since you are in Florida I doubt that freezing came in to play.
So my question would be do you use a pressure regulator on your city water. Do you?
Heartland says 60 psi input. I think. There are a few RV parks that are in the 100 psi range.
Were the fittings broken or just leaking from not being tight?

Peace
Dave

No, we don't have a pressure regulator and yes, the elbow joint was broken...now we just don't know why there is no water coming through to our shower...all other faucets work perfectly. Oh, and there was another leak near this one that was a loose connection.

jbeletti

Remove the shower head from the hose to check for debris. Check also, both ends of the shower hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlfolde

If I understand this right. You replaced the elbow and you now have just a trickle coming from the shower head and no leak, or is it still leaking and a trickle from the shower head.
yes, elbow replaced and now just a trickle of water coming through the shower head...but not leak in the pipe/elbow anymore.

jlfolde

Remove the shower head from the hose to check for debris. Check also, both ends of the shower hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thank you...that was the next thing my husband planned on doing mostly because he's not looking forward to removing the storage space wall again...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
mostly because he's not looking forward to removing the storage space wall again...
lol, we all look forward to removing the wall. Some have figured out ways to make the wall easy to remove.
And a pressure regulator is a must. Get a good adjustable one not the inline that Walmart sells.

Peace
Dave

jlfolde

lol, we all look forward to removing the wall. Some have figured out ways to make the wall easy to remove.
And a pressure regulator is a must. Get a good adjustable one not the inline that Walmart sells.

Peace
Dave

Thanks...we'll look into that right away...meantime...gotta figure out how to get water flowing in the shower!

danemayer

As you had a water leak behind the basement wall, keep an eye on the battery charge level. While plugged into shore power, you should see 4 lights. If the panel drops to 3 or less, your Power Converter may have gotten wet and stopped working.

jlfolde

As you had a water leak behind the basement wall, keep an eye on the battery charge level. While plugged into shore power, you should see 4 lights. If the panel drops to 3 or less, your Power Converter may have gotten wet and stopped working.

I always check the battery charge level and always have 4 lights...thanks for the heads-up!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did he use a plastic or a brass elbow to replace the leaker? Having had to do some work on mine, the OEM plastic fittings have smaller diameter openings than the brass ones. I carry spare fittings and the tools to do PEX plumbing repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlfolde

Did he use a plastic or a brass elbow to replace the leaker? Having had to do some work on mine, the OEM plastic fittings have smaller diameter openings than the brass ones. I carry spare fittings and the tools to do PEX plumbing repairs.

We replaced with a plastic fitting...a smaller diameter opening would make sense with the water flow...maybe we can bore that openings out a bit...Camping World didn't suggest a brass fitting...and, pardon my ignorance, but what is PEX?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We replaced with a plastic fitting...a smaller diameter opening would make sense with the water flow...maybe we can bore that openings out a bit...Camping World didn't suggest a brass fitting...and, pardon my ignorance, but what is PEX?

PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) is the plastic piping in your rig. Camping World probably has Kalifornistanitis, where every piece of metal is carcinogenic or leaches lead.

Not likely that you can drill out the plastic fitting evenly.

http://www.watts.com/approvals/default.asp?catId=0&subCatId=132

jlfolde

PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) is the plastic piping in your rig. Camping World probably has Kalifornistanitis, where every piece of metal is carcinogenic or leaches lead.

Not likely that you can drill out the plastic fitting evenly.

http://www.watts.com/approvals/default.asp?catId=0&subCatId=132

Camping World was the only place we could get the part...hoping someone in this forum can send me to a more reliable place...the hubs is a class A machinist...if anyone can drill out the fitting evenly, he can!

jbeletti

It's unlikely that the plastic elbow is contributing to low water flow to a single fixture. If the fitting fit the pipe, then it's the right fitting. Unless teflon tape was used (not needed for that plastic fitting) and was inadvertently wrapped such that it covered up part of the opening at either end - It's time to move on from this area of the plumbing to chase the flow issue.

Let us know how the shower head/hose testing goes.

mlpeloquin

Your problem is now in the shower head or valve. Both hot and cold lines go to the valve fixture so the problem should be from the valve to the shower head. Unscrew the shower head from the hose and test. Unscrew the hose from the valve fixture and test.

I would not drill out the plastic fitting. It was designed for the pressures of a water system. Narrowing the walls of the fitting will change the pressure it can handle. Sharkbite push-on fittings are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE Hardware, True Value Hardware, etc.. They also stock the crimp on PEX fittings as well. Sharkbite fittings are good for PEX and copper plumbing. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Elbow--Pus...ngs-Plumbing/4294822035?refinement=4294821354

Get a pressure regulator. We were at one RV park with 150psi and a couple that had 100psi. They warned use to use one ot our plumbing would be destroyed. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...efix=rv+pressure+,aps,1025&crid=1N0O4DCG5Q9XA

jlfolde

Your problem is now in the shower head or valve. Both hot and cold lines go to the valve fixture so the problem should be from the valve to the shower head. Unscrew the shower head from the hose and test. Unscrew the hose from the valve fixture and test.

I would not drill out the plastic fitting. It was designed for the pressures of a water system. Narrowing the walls of the fitting will change the pressure it can handle. Sharkbite push-on fittings are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE Hardware, True Value Hardware, etc.. They also stock the crimp on PEX fittings as well. Sharkbite fittings are good for PEX and copper plumbing. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Elbow--Pus...ngs-Plumbing/4294822035?refinement=4294821354

Get a pressure regulator. We were at one RV park with 150psi and a couple that had 100psi. They warned use to use one ot our plumbing would be destroyed. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...efix=rv+pressure+,aps,1025&crid=1N0O4DCG5Q9XA

Copied this to show to my husband...I am hoping he saved the part we replaced so I can post a picture...

jbeletti

Copied this to show to my husband...I am hoping he saved the part we replaced so I can post a picture...

No need to provide the picture so long as you changed the elbow out for another elbow. Just need to unscrew that shower head and see if there's any debris blocking the flow.