Axle upgrade

Tahoe540

We have a 2013 32BUDS that now has blown out 2 hubs/bearings while on vacation, one each in the last two years. I do yearly maintenance on our trailer and inspect the bearings. After this last blowout I found that my axles are rated at 4400lbs and my trailer weighs 8600lbs dry. This seems like a pretty narrow margin and was personally really surprised. Anyone else have bearing hub issues with the 4400lbs axles? Also, I found that the axles I have have some weird sized bearing that is not commonly stocked. I have since upgraded to 6k lbs axles with the same wheel bolt pattern and 12" brakes. Bearing pack is close to twice the size and for $2k is nice piece of mind.
JnJQTuU1GZ4nnuVP8

danemayer

Hi Tahoe540,

On travel trailers, the hitch carries around 15% of the GVWR. The axles carry 85%. Your 32Buds GVWR is spec'd at 8,600 lbs. (6,995 dry). So the axles are carrying about 7,310 lbs and from what you've said, are rated for 8,800.

Tahoe540

Wow some nice math going on right there. The axles that were on my trailer were underrated as far as a person with some mechanical competence would see. The size of the bearing pack on the 4400lbs axles is a joke and the shop that did my upgrade said they do a lot of these because of this problem. Not specific to the Heartland brand but travel trailers in general. Just because it is on the trailer and within spec doesn't make it right. The manufacturer is trying to make money not make their trailer bulletproof, and I understand that. If you are having issues with your bearings/hubs an upgrade might be in your cards.

dave10a

In general RV suspensions are marginal at best. Upgrading axles and suspension is a good thing for those who put on a lot of miles every year. BTY can some one explain why truck and automobile wheel bearings don't require as much maintenance as RV trailers?

Squirlee

In my short time having a 5th wheel I have learned that they are built to the absolute bare minimum standards. The cheapest parts and workmanship that they can acquire that will meet the most basic and minimum standard is how the rv industry works.

I paid half as much (almost) for my truck as I did for my trailer. My truck has a diesel engine, a transmission, differentials, complex electronics and wiring (the complexity of electronics in a motor vehicle aren't even in the same universe as the rv industry). My trailer is a box on wheels and cost twice as much. Why is it like that? I can only suspect the rv industry hasn't become as regulated for standards as the car industry. I hope some day it does.

No they won't quadruple in price if they have to improve their standards. If you can put a car out the door with the complexities of engines, transmissions, electronics (computers) etc etc etc for the prices they are sold for then the rv industry can do it to. They just aren't required to and that is the difference. How can a motor vehicle manufacturer warranty their product for as long as they do but an rv manufacturer can't? They don't want to that's why. When the majority of the rv industry is under one roof there is no need for competitive anything.

In general RV suspensions are marginal at best. Upgrading axles and suspension is a good thing for those who put on a lot of miles every year. BTY can some one explain why truck and automobile wheel bearings don't require as much maintenance as RV trailers?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You really can't compare a cheap house on wheels (rv) to an automobile. They produce probably less than 10k units of an rv a year, vs "1 truck a minute" as quoted in a story I found about one Ford truck plant. No automation in rv building, they are built entirely by humans. A estimate I remember hearing is 13 a day for Landmarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kishy

I must say that reading these posts still upsets me. I have a 2011 North Trail BRS and in less than 3 years had to replace the springs and axles with heavier axles with proper leaf springs. Although rated for the weight, they do not stand up to the torque that is put on them. The axels tweak and tires wear. The trailer manufacturing company that installed the new equipment say that they see this all the time. In fact, there were 8 other units in their lot waiting to get replacements manufactured. The dealership that I bought the trailer from no longer sells Heartland and has walked away from the issue. They told me it was because I must have went on rough roads with it - it never left paved roads other than pulling into campgrounds. Contacted Heartland and they said they had not heard of the issue. So I learned a lot about how these trailers are made and backed. You want 1/2 ton tow-able, then this is what you get. Ultra light trailers with ultra light components.

Fox

I will admit to also being concerned. The data plate on my BH says its rated at 16K pounds (loaded) - yet it uses 2 x 7K axles.
While it is true the pin holds some weight - in a premier RV I expected a bit more axle capacity.

If I start crossing the continental divide I will look in to both axle and brake upgrades; and I will publicly proclaim it in various forums - for other users to read/ heed.

danemayer

Our Landmark has a GVWR of 16,000. The pin weight spec was about 2,600, based on an empty trailer with no options. Our heavily optioned actual weight on the pin was about 3,700, with 12,500 on the axles that were rated to carry 14,000 lbs. And yes, we were 200 lbs over GVWR.

The way to find out how much weight is on your axles is to get the trailer weighed.

dave10a

Our Landmark has a GVWR of 16,000. The pin weight spec was about 2,600, based on an empty trailer with no options. Our heavily optioned actual weight on the pin was about 3,700, with 12,500 on the axles that were rated to carry 14,000 lbs. And yes, we were 200 lbs over GVWR.

The way to find out how much weight is on your axles is to get the trailer weighed.

You did the right thing to upgrade your axles. However, if you have 12500lbs on the axles how is that over weight on your axles?-- the GVR has nothing to do with that. Looks to me that you were 1500lbs under the axle rating. My San Antonio has a GVW of 16250 which is on the same frame and suspension as yours. I have lost one axle and two outer bearings since I have owned mine--while performing proper maintenance. Heartland is not alone when it comes to not providing or offering axle options to those who put on a lot of miles like I do. I am having a difficult time finding a trailer that is engineered well with the options I need. There are a few, but the wife doesn't like the layouts. So looks like I am forced to find a manufacturer and dealer for the trailer we like that is flexible enough to upgrade the trailer to something we can trust to travel and enjoy at the same time. Heartland is not on my list because of that.

danemayer

You did the right thing to upgrade your axles. However, if you have 12500lbs on the axles how is that over weight on your axles?-- the GVR has nothing to do with that. Looks to me that you were 1500lbs under the axle rating. My San Antonio has a GVW of 16250 which is on the same frame and suspension as yours. I have lost one axle and two outer bearings since I have owned mine--while performing proper maintenance. Heartland is not alone when it comes to not providing or offering axle options to those who put on a lot of miles like I do. I am having a difficult time finding a trailer that is engineered well with the options I need. There are a few, but the wife doesn't like the layouts. So looks like I am forced to find a manufacturer and dealer for the trailer we like that is flexible enough to upgrade the trailer to something we can trust to travel and enjoy at the same time. Heartland is not on my list because of that.
I wasn't overweight on the axles.

But I lost one axle going over a bad bridge joint on I-10, and damaged another when the bearings were damaged after a brake assembly meltdown. I've got 8K MorRyde Independent Suspension now, which has no axles. And disc brakes. And 17.5" wheels with Load Range H Goodyear G114 tires.

Over the past 8 years I've concluded that having extra margin makes me more comfortable. If you find a trailer you like, and it doesn't have the extra margin that you want, you can use aftermarket solutions to beef it up.

Squirlee

You really can't compare a cheap house on wheels (rv) to an automobile. They produce probably less than 10k units of an rv a year, vs "1 truck a minute" as quoted in a story I found about one Ford truck plant. No automation in rv building, they are built entirely by humans. A estimate I remember hearing is 13 a day for Landmarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why that is an excuse for making poor quality products. I think the issue is that it is simply accepted that these companies make poorly designed products and no one questions it. In fact it would seem we are so ok with it to the point that we will spend tens of thousands of dollars buying the trailer and then go spend thousands of dollars more to replace the axles. It makes no sense. Anyway, I obviously am seeing this differently than some.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a 2013 32BUDS that now has blown out 2 hubs/bearings while on vacation, one each in the last two years. I do yearly maintenance on our trailer and inspect the bearings. After this last blowout I found that my axles are rated at 4400lbs and my trailer weighs 8600lbs dry. This seems like a pretty narrow margin and was personally really surprised. Anyone else have bearing hub issues with the 4400lbs axles? Also, I found that the axles I have have some weird sized bearing that is not commonly stocked. I have since upgraded to 6k lbs axles with the same wheel bolt pattern and 12" brakes. Bearing pack is close to twice the size and for $2k is nice piece of mind.
JnJQTuU1GZ4nnuVP8

On my previous TT (2013 Heartland Trail Runner) I experienced the same thing.

1000 miles from home and the TT started riding on the tires and a wheel bearing burnout.

Had it fixed with upgraded axles and everything else under there and traded it in a week later for my Prowler.

Dealer told me that it sat on their lot for less than four hours before it sold.

mlpeloquin

I have had mine weighed twice at two national rallies. I was within 100lbs front to back and side to side. 200lbs from max weight on 6K axles. I was told that several at the rallies were up to 2k plus pounds over. You really need to keep good track on just how much weight you pack into the trailer. Adding heavier rated axles and springs will not allow you to carry any more weight because the frame is not rated for it. Keep in mind that the new spring and axles add more weight as well so pack less.