Check your hubs

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
After we left the national rally we went to washington to a large Heartland dealer to have our bearings repack ( it was 12 months). found out that the magnets in all the hubs except the one ethat was replaced last week have ground the inside of the hub, $750.00 for that plus $220 for the bearing repack later we may be on the road by 1pm today.

Has anyone else had this happen? This is a first for me, the axles are one year old this week, less than 9000 miles on them.

Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most magnets do touch the drums. I think they are suppose to. Mine rub also and leave marks on the drum.

lwmcguir

After we left the national rally we went to washington to a large Heartland dealer to have our bearings repack ( it was 12 months). found out that the magnets in all the hubs except the one ethat was replaced last week have ground the inside of the hub, $750.00 for that plus $220 for the bearing repack later we may be on the road by 1pm today.

Has anyone else had this happen? This is a first for me, the axles are one year old this week, less than 9000 miles on them.

Don
Sounds like your brakes may have been dragging just a bit to wear them that much. Should only be light wear.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, you are right. Never thought about that in my post. HUMMM.....double dipping the customer. Shame on them.

wdk450

My magnets are over 3 years old,and still working. I had the bearings/brakes gone over last year, and the Dexter guy inspected/adjusted my brakes this year at Gillette.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There should be only one reason for the magnets rubbing on the drums. That would be if the magnets were energized.
Do you drive with your foot on the brake pedal? Or has anyone checked if there is current running to the magnets without the brake pedal applied?
How bad was the wear? Usually the magnets wear out before the drums. Did they replace the magnets as well?
Sorry, I gotta ask.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

BTW:
Included in your hub/bearing/brakes scheduled inspections, give the brake drum a close visual inspection for cracks, especially in the bearing mounting shoulder area. Maybe it was a freak occurance, but I had a drum break on the road on the way to Yellowstone/Gillette, and the tire ended up getting shredded by the shock mount. The next day at the tire store while getting a new tire, I had their staff inspect the other 3 drums for cracks. All O.K.

Chainsaw

There should be only one reason for the magnets rubbing on the drums. That would be if the magnets were energized.
Do you drive with your foot on the brake pedal? Or has anyone checked if there is current running to the magnets without the brake pedal applied?
How bad was the wear? Usually the magnets wear out before the drums. Did they replace the magnets as well?
Sorry, I gotta ask.

Peace
Dave

Hi

No, my dad and brother always drove with their foot on the brake, I am confident of my reaction time.

The magnets were replace and the drums turned.

Can I check for flow without removing the hubs? Like check wiring behind the wheel?

Chainsaw

BTW:
Included in your hub/bearing/brakes scheduled inspections, give the brake drum a close visual inspection for cracks, especially in the bearing mounting shoulder area. Maybe it was a freak occurance, but I had a drum break on the road on the way to Yellowstone/Gillette, and the tire ended up getting shredded by the shock mount. The next day at the tire store while getting a new tire, I had their staff inspect the other 3 drums for cracks. All O.K.

Hi Bill

I will post a picture of the hub I lost on the way to rally in Gillette, the parts you mention are shattered.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can check for current flow at the plug on your truck.
Find and identify the (Brake) and (-) pins on the plug.
Then use your digital multimeter to check for currant.
It should be 0.
If you don't have a meter, now would be a good time to get one. It is a valuable tool to have.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chainsaw

IMG_0224.jpg

Here is a picture of the hub we lost on our way to Gillette, you can see where the cast disintegrated

rick_debbie_gallant

I am just wondering how large a crack a person could detect with the naked eye or even a magnifying glass.
When ever I checked the rigging on our sailboat I used a two or three part system to check it. It involved a cleaner, a dye and a powder substance. I thought I had good eyes until I used this stuff. Good luck

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3t3hpm
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to orient myself with the photo. Is that the inside or outside? Looks like the inner bearing race.
Where's the grease?

Peace
Dave