Thread: Attach the Water Tank Support Bars!

1. Print this Post   #1

Attach the Water Tank Support Bars!

On our first road trip we dropped a bar. Fortunately it dropped onto the axle, I'd hate to see what would have happened if the front had fallen first! It's scary to think about a person behind one of these trailers when a bar flies off - we could have killed someone...
    I was able to get it to hold using slightly larger screws from Home Depot, but these things should not just be an afterthought, and am open to ideas on how to get them done right.
    IMG_2246_Original.jpgIMG_2247_Original.jpgIMG_3100_Original.jpgIMG_2248_Original.jpgIMG_2255_Original.jpg
    This is on a 287 with the 98 gallon fresh tank.

Pictures attached.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Attach the Water Tank Support Bars!

you think they could at least put all for bolts in - in my bighorn there is a cross bar that runs between the frame sides that hold up tank and support straps underneath it- had 4 holes each side and they only installed 2 in each side and both on same side so when 1 broke - it rolled down/ over and then snapped other self tapper screw so tank fell -4 self tappers to hold up water tank - pretty sad and careless how they throw these together-
    2017 bighorn 3760

3. Print this Post   #3

My Gosh.... there sure is a lot of fresh looking mud thrown up on a majority of coroplast for the very first time out!

If you happened to haul.the.mail on a muddy, badly potholed road with a full fresh water tank, this may have been part of the issue? Just an observation.

4. Print this Post   #4

Wow thatís awful ..! Iíll be looking under mine tonight..!
    Thanks for the post ..!
    Duane & Maureen Metcalf
    Princeton, Texas
    H.O.C. # 5883
    2019 Silverado 3500 DRW
    Firestone 5000 airbags
    MORryde upgraded wet bolt kit with heavier shackles
    2019 Cyclone 4007
    2016 Can Am Spyder RTL

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Iíve never seen bars attached like that on a Heartland trailer. Did you buy it new? Looks like a poor dealer fix to a sagging underbelly or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by TravelTiger View Post
    Iíve never seen bars attached like that on a Heartland trailer. Did you buy it new? Looks like a poor dealer fix to a sagging underbelly or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me either, something new for sure or added. Not a bad idea I just wonder the methodology as they seem like they would be really hard to install blind?
    2014 Torque TQ290, Hensley Arrow My Mod Thread
    2018 F-350 Lariat Ultimate DRW, 4x4, 6.7, 4.10
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W
    2005 Kawasaki KX 85
    2018 Can-Am Maverick Trail 800 DPS

7. Print this Post   #7

This was purchased new, and the CW team didn't claim any credit to the work that was done under there. I did see another 287 in our storage lot, I'll take a gander next time I go exercise the generator to see if they have the same setup. This was on our first roadtrip, not our first outing, we had 8 weekends into the unit before the trip. The bar fell somewhere between Salt Lake City and Reno on i-80, on day 3 of a a 5 day "dry" boondocking neck of our trip.
    It has held up nicely since then, another 3000+ miles, but you can bet I look under the camper at every stop now!

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingdjones View Post
    On our first road trip we dropped a bar. Fortunately it dropped onto the axle, I'd hate to see what would have happened if the front had fallen first! It's scary to think about a person behind one of these trailers when a bar flies off - we could have killed someone...
    I was able to get it to hold using slightly larger screws from Home Depot, but these things should not just be an afterthought, and am open to ideas on how to get them done right.
    IMG_2246_Original.jpgIMG_2247_Original.jpgIMG_3100_Original.jpgIMG_2248_Original.jpgIMG_2255_Original.jpg
    This is on a 287 with the 98 gallon fresh tank.

Pictures attached.
    I had one of the welds break on my spare tire under the trailer, can you imagine !! I was on a 1200 mile trip. If I would not have noticed it its possible the other bracket would of broke and my spare tire bouncing/rolling down the freeway at 70 miles an hour. I posted on this a few year ago for everyone to check there spare tire welds under your unit.

Bobby A

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby A View Post
    I had one of the welds break on my spare tire under the trailer, can you imagine !! I was on a 1200 mile trip. If I would not have noticed it its possible the other bracket would of broke and my spare tire bouncing/rolling down the freeway at 70 miles an hour. I posted on this a few year ago for everyone to check there spare tire welds under your unit.

Bobby A
    Good advise, I will do so.

Thanks
    Duane & Maureen Metcalf
    Princeton, Texas
    H.O.C. # 5883
    2019 Silverado 3500 DRW
    Firestone 5000 airbags
    MORryde upgraded wet bolt kit with heavier shackles
    2019 Cyclone 4007
    2016 Can Am Spyder RTL