Flickering/Diming Interior Lights

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2013 Elkridge 34QSRL. I haven't been able to find a thread that seemed to match my problem:

I notice all the 12 volt lights (when on) will randomly dim/brighten, and sometimes flicker. It is almost as if something is putting a heavy load on the system. It does this maybe several times throughout the day.

I am currently hooked up to a 50 amp service, and my battery says it is charged. I have only confirmed the charge well after the event had occurred. I don't seem to have a problem with the 120v outlets. The only thing that seems to be affected are the 12v interior lights, but in all rooms. I am not sure if it is just a wiring issue for the lights, or if there is a bigger issue with the electrical system as a whole.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to RVing, so feel free to ask for more info if I left something important out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like one of two things.
Could be a loose ground wire. Locate the grounding block and check all the screws holding the white wires in place.
Check the battery wires as well, they need to be clean and tight
It could also be your converter trying to charge a bad battery. Or a dying converter.
Take a voltage check on your battery while disconnected from shore power.
Also check the voltage at the battery while on shore power.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2013 Elkridge 34QSRL. I haven't been able to find a thread that seemed to match my problem:

I notice all the 12 volt lights (when on) will randomly dim/brighten, and sometimes flicker. It is almost as if something is putting a heavy load on the system. It does this maybe several times throughout the day.

I am currently hooked up to a 50 amp service, and my battery says it is charged. I have only confirmed the charge well after the event had occurred. I don't seem to have a problem with the 120v outlets. The only thing that seems to be affected are the 12v interior lights, but in all rooms. I am not sure if it is just a wiring issue for the lights, or if there is a bigger issue with the electrical system as a whole.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to RVing, so feel free to ask for more info if I left something important out.

Double check the batteries, make sure they are good. Look at your terminals make sure they are clean, tight. Also if the batteries are 7 years old you may be in line for new batteries. You could have the batteries load tested to make sure they are holding a charge if all your connections check out okay.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Read the manual for your converter. It will tell you that it periodically goes into Boost mode to maintain the battery. When it does, the 12V lights will brighten because the converter is temporarily providing higher voltage. If you have a Progressive converter, you can buy a small pendant indicator for it that will show what mode it's in.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. It may be this weekend before I have a chance to address those items, but I will provide an update. Thanks again!

wdk450

The Progressive 9200 series converters go into boost (battery desulphation) mode once every 24 hours for about 15 minutes. This will make lights noticeably brighter for those 15 minutes.

Try to wiggle wires/cables near connection points (battery, ground bus, 12 volt circuit breaker bus) as an electrical connection stress test. Observe the lights as you do this. You are dealing with just 12 volts DC here, so you won't get shocked, but try to grab the insulation (or wear rubber gloves) when doing this to ease your mind.