Thread: Battery box 21rbss

1. Print this Post   #1

Battery box 21rbss

I want to mount a 4D battery box for 2 GC6V batteries, will it fit on my 21rbss?

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Battery box 21rbss

Viking23 I measured the battery space on my 2020 21RBSS and I don't believe a 4D will fit. Plenty of length and height, but the rails are only 8 inches apart (a NOCO HM426 Dual 6V GC2 Commercial-Grade Battery Box is 18.25 x 14.25 x 14 inches). Even a 12 volt 4D box is 24.7 x 9.6 x 14 inches (NOCO HM408 Group 4D Commercial-Grade Battery Box)
    David and Karen
    2020 North Trail Caliber 21RBSS
    2008 F150 XLT SuperCab

3. Print this Post   #3

My new 21rbss, came with a Interstate marine battery. Not enough Ah rating. Removed it, and battery box. Cut a 2 x 10 board down, to fill battery tray, and bolted in from below. Moved propane rack and tanks a little forward. Installed 2 battery boxes side by side, running front to back. Have to tip back of battery down to drop into box, since it’s tight. Installed 2 deep cycle AGM batteries. Batteries paralleled with equal length cables, going to a waterproof breaker (manual reset type), then goes to master switch on tongue. Power exits master switch, and goes to factory distribution block. The battery box on awning side, will have a dual high capacity, waterproof USB ports, with digital 12 vdc meter, that can be shut off with a switch. Watertight, lighter plug, and external 12 volt accessory 60 amp terminals, for optional use. A 3rd battery could be set on ground, and paralleled to these terminals, for extra storage, or charge up a auxiliary battery. With the 12 volt refrigerator, not having propane operation, higher battery capacity is needed. Will possibly add some solar later. None of this would have fit on this area, without repeated measurements, planning, and modifications. Contemplated 6 volt in series, but it didn’t meet planning, and end use requirements.
    Last edited by jr814; 1 Week Ago at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by jr814 View Post
    With the 12 volt refrigerator, not having propane operation.
    Pretty sure your refrigerator uses propane and 12 volts

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Pretty sure your refrigerator uses propane and 12 volts

Peace
    Dave
    Thanks for reply. Wish you were right. Itís 12 volt only compressor. Advertising sticker on fridge, says 12 volt fridge. All lp lines on exterior underside, from lp rack on tongue. Lines branch off for furnace, stove, water heater, and quick connect grill port. No lp line to fridge. Been all over underside, closing large installation holes left at factory, and again, no lp to fridge. No heat generated from thermal operation, and no venting through camper wall or roof needed. Being 12 vdc only, is why. Spec sticker on fridge, confirms my disappointment. You canít turn power on to camper, without fridge running. 115 vac to camper it runs, 12 vdc, it runs. Power off switch inside fridge ,says to hold down 10 seconds to turn off. Do this, it clicks off, then restarts instantly. Will have to put in a easily accessible illuminated power switch, to interrupt line into fridge. Didnít buy camper to be part of R&D process, but needs to be done. Working on interior and exterior, makes having power on for lights, a necessity. For now, I have to put up with a fridge that wonít shut off, but will be corrected shortly. Suppose they will want to void my fridge warranty for putting in a external power switch.

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by jr814 View Post
    Suppose they will want to void my fridge warranty for putting in a external power switch.
    As long as you don't modify the refrigerator itself, you'll be fine. Putting in a switch before the refrigerator is no different that putting in a battery cutoff switch, or removing the batteries while in storage.

And yes, some new builds come with 12V DC refrigerators that don't use propane.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur babies Callie the Rally Dog and Cooper
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires