07 Dodge 3500---BLACK OIL !!!!!

Bobby A

This question may have been beaten to death, but I need some info please.
I just had my oil changed on the Cummins turbo diesel 6.7 litre. I used the Valvoline premium blue that Cummins recommends, to my surprise after the tech installed the oil and having me start the engine and shut it down, he check the dip stick and the oil on the dip stick way already BLACK !! without driving 1 mile on the truck. The tech was even surprised the oil on the dip stick was black, he checked it like 3 times and each time it was black on the dip stick, is this normal ?? Thanks

Rrloren

It is normal for these trucks with the egr valve which puts exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. Isn't the new technology great! Also causes us to burn 20% more fuel.

lhetsler

I have your truck and the same here. I had to ask the superv if he was sure they didn't forget to change the oil. He said he saw them do it and sure enough it is alway like that. It is a little disconcerting, thinking I have just paid 60 buck for "clean" oil.

lwmcguir

I am sure you did change the filter as well? Mine doesn't get black until I drive quite a ways. Use Motor craft on the newer ones and Rotella on the older 7.3 engines. However as the other post noted, the oil is going to be dark but you should be able to see a difference right after changing. I might question the oil but that should be good oil.

Bobby A

O.K Guys, I just wanted to make sure the Dodge service guys and cummins guys weren't pulling my leg. Thanks for clarifying, I will rest better now. thanks again,
Bobby A

KL7j

I had a 2004 Cummins, it did not discolor the oil very fast.

A 2008 6.7 Cummins to meet emissions has an aggressive EGR system and mine was almost black the day after it was changed. I did the changing so there was no doubt.

The new Duramax and the new in-house designed 2011 Ford Powerstroke use DEF fluid injection and do not have the aggrressive EGR. I just changed my 2011 Ford at 4000 miles and it was slightly discolored.

Your 6.7 Cummins oil color is perfectly normal but that soot load sure blackens the oil and the oil stains are tough to clean up.

lwmcguir

I had a 2004 Cummins, it did not discolor the oil very fast.

A 2008 6.7 Cummins to meet emissions has an aggressive EGR system and mine was almost black the day after it was changed. I did the changing so there was no doubt.

The new Duramax and the new in-house designed 2011 Ford Powerstroke use DEF fluid injection and do not have the aggrressive EGR. I just changed my 2011 Ford at 4000 miles and it was slightly discolored.

Your 6.7 Cummins oil color is perfectly normal but that soot load sure blackens the oil and the oil stains are tough to clean up.

That is a great point. What kind of protection system is there to keep the Urea from freezing in the winter?

6.7powerstroke

Freezing is perfectly fine. There is a heater in the tank that comes on when the truck is started, but everything is designed to freeze. The engine doesn't call for UREA until it is warmed up. The pump actually pulls the DEF back into the tank when you shut off the engine so the lines don't freeze. I can't speak for the GM system but the Ford one works quite well, my truck has spent many days in minus 20 up in the mountains and had zero issues.

jpajax

Perfectly normal but you can get a oil analysis done to check for any thing that might be going on. Did it on mine before warranty ran out. It can tell you a lot and checks for a lot things. The company I used was Blackstone Lab. www.blackstone-labs.com

porthole

Retired
When you change your dirty old diesel oil you are only changing a percentage of it. There is oil through out the engine that will be mixed with the new oil.
One of the things I didn't like with my GMC was the "well" in the oil pan in front of the suspension, that oil never drained and always got mixed in with the new. From the size of it it appeared to be a at least a 1/2 gallon.

BTW for you 6.7 folks - I got the new fumoto drain valve - will give a report in a week or so. Need to get some filters first.

Our boat has Detroit's in it. 7 gallons (yes gallons) in each engine. That oil only looks clean for about 10 hours before it turns dark.

porthole

Retired
Perfectly normal but you can get a oil analysis done to check for any thing that might be going on. Did it on mine before warranty ran out. It can tell you a lot and checks for a lot things. The company I used was Blackstone Lab. www.blackstone-labs.com

When we running the boat all the time I did 5 samples twice a year, 2 engines, 2 transmissions, 1 genset.
As long as I was using Kendall oil I got free oil analysis, quite a good deal.

$25 is actually a little pricey given the technology has been around for decades.

Rrloren

FYI, i'm using the Fumoto drain valve and it works great. Had one on my '98 Dodge as well and never had any trouble with it in over 150m miles. Doesn't hang down far enough to present any clearance problems.
Beats the heck out of wrenching a drain plug at oil changes.

porthole

Retired
I also have used the fumoto's on previous trucks with no issues.
The new Ford 6.7 has a plug that is a very different beast, so there has been some trepidation on the net over the new drain valve/plug.

Attachments

• pf-103n__68738_zoom.jpg
    pf-103n__68738_zoom.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 33

lwmcguir

Since we are talking oil and 6.7 Fords, I run the 5-40 full synthetic and it isnt nearly as dark as my 7.3/6.0 with Rotella oil. Curious as to what oil you other Ford 6.7 owners are using and how it compares to prior experience.

porthole

Retired
I will be using dino oil for about the 1st 20K, then I will think about switching. With my GMC I switched to Amsoil. After two changes I realized I could change the oil 4 times+ with dino oil over the cost of one syn change.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 5.9 Cummins has been pretty much black from the get-go. Had a 7.3 Ford Navistar, same thing. I think it is the nature of the beast'(s).
Kind of freaked me out at first, but you get over it.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Just changed mine with the Motorcraft 5W/40 that Ford suggested in the manual and filter (6.7 ford) It's only at 8k on the clock and I'm sure as long as there is enough oil and the right weight the engine is going to keep on trucking. Zero problems from any other vehicle I've ever owned due to oil preference.
It's like what is your preference of water brand you put into your body. It all comes from the same place.