12 Degrees & Kitchen water froze.

linuxkidd

Good point... now I just wish this had all come up before I converted to a hard line... Will mean much more re-work to implement.. :(

LK

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Every time that I dump, I do the black water first, followed by gray 1 and then gray 2, just like all of you do. The point I am making here is that each time I open a gray tank valve, I get some residual black water first. If you open gray 1 and let it flow into gray 2, isn't there a possibility of getting some black water into gray 2? I would not find this desireable.

linuxkidd

Very good point... I would imagine that if following that same routine before putting the Grey tanks on cross-connect... You should have the black water flushed out by all the grey... But, I'd love to hear the others that are currently doing this weigh in.

I may end up with the internal grey tank cross connect after all.. :)

LK

SmokeyBare

My view is... No Black water can get into the Gray Water tanks.. the same valve that prevents the gray from flowing... stops anything from getting back into the tank.

The Black Water you see flowing out of the pipe once the Black Valve is closed and when you open the Gray Water valve... is only the small amount that has flowed into the pipe up against the Gray Water Valve.

cdbMidland

My view is... No Black water can get into the Gray Water tanks.. the same valve that prevents the gray from flowing... stops anything from getting back into the tank.

The Black Water you see flowing out of the pipe once the Black Valve is closed and when you open the Gray Water valve... is only the small amount that has flowed into the pipe up against the Gray Water Valve.

In my book, that amount of black water would have to flow into gray 2 if I understand the initial posts.

SmokeyBare

Chuck,

Looking closer to how You do each tank individually... I would agree that there could be Black Water flowing into another than.... IF... the valves were left open.

I drain my tanks in the following manner... right or wrong.. here's how I do it:

Open Black Water valve... While it's draining... I turn on the Sani-Flush water that helps clear & Clean the Black Water tank of any residual solids. Having the water flow from the Sani-Flush begin to run clear... I close the Black Water valve and let the Sani-Flush flow a little longer so that there is Water left in the empty clean Black Tank. Next I open Both 1 & 2 Gray Water tanks... and let them both drain together... which I feel flushes out the drain lines with what is usually clear soapy water... Once they have drained.... I shut down the two gray lines.

I guess I'm not concerned about what waste water goes where... Just always glad it gets gone...

Sorry If I have misunderstood your method when I replied...

Marv

cdbMidland

Marv, I use the same method to dump.

I would guess that no black water would get into gray 1 or 2 IF after doing the black tank the way you describe and then let both gray tanks dump together, THEN leave the gray tanks open, then you could pretty much assure yourself that only gray 1 would dump into gray 2 without a problem.

However, once you hit the sanitation station, even though you would have all valves closed at that time, you would still have gray water dumping onto the road before you could get the hose attached. Since it is only gray water, no harm (it would even wash away someone else's black water boo boo).