120v on 30 amp enough for running a/c?

We stayed at my dad's this weekend and hooked up to his 20 amp breaker in his work shed. We have a 50 amp Elkridge and used a 50 amp to 30 amp converter. Everything ran fine until we ran the air conditioner. At the time I didn't realize the box was only 20 amps. Needless to say, it popped the breaker and the extension cord got hot. We ended up not running the ac and just used lights and a fan.
my dad is having his electrician come out to upgrade the box to 30 amp but asked if it should be a 120v or 240v with 30 amp. I have no idea, but I do need to be able to run the a/c.
Will this be enough to run the a/c and is 120v ok?

thank you!

danemayer

240V in a 30amp outlet will destroy the electrical devices in your trailer. It MUST be 120V. A 30 amp circuit should let you run 1 A/C unit as long as you're careful how much other stuff is running like toasters, microwaves, coffee pots, that all draw up to 15 amps apiece. Keep in mind that you have hidden loads like the Power Converter that keeps the battery charged and runs the lights and other stuff. In some modes, the larger power converters can draw around 12 amps. But all that said, lots of people camp with 30 amp connections.

Here's a link to some information that may help get the wiring right. Click on the button for 30 amp service.

Make sure YOU personally check the outlet with a volt meter before plugging in. Electricians aren't always familiar with RV requirements and they do make mistakes.

Thank you very much! I will be sure to check it myself before we plug in. If everything is ok with the voltage meter, I should be able hook up to his outlets with a regular extension cord which is connected to my power cord via a converter, correct?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The requirement is more than just a 30 amp breaker (which the electrician should be well aware). You may need to upgrade the wiring from the box to the outlet to at least 10gauge wire. The size of the wire needed will be determined by the distance between the breaker and the outlet. Probably better to consider the distance from the outlet to the RV too!

Rrloren

I plug into my shed also and it's hooked up to a dedicated 20 amp breaker. I use a RV 30 amp cord to reach the 30 amp cord from my trailer and it works fine for most uses. I've run the A/C also but only the A/C. We don't use the setup to camp in so it works for us when doing work in the unit.
Having experienced 2 major power outages during the last 3 or 4 yrs. I now have a large enough generator in the shed to powerup the camper for emergency use whether it's summer or winter.

danemayer

Thank you very much! I will be sure to check it myself before we plug in. If everything is ok with the voltage meter, I should be able hook up to his outlets with a regular extension cord which is connected to my power cord via a converter, correct?
The extension cord needs to be rated for 30 amps as well. A regular 15 or 20 amp extension cord will overheat, creating a potential fire hazard. You'll also have a voltage drop that could cause damage to your A/C unit if the voltage gets low enough due to the undersized wire.

porthole

Retired
If you have to spend the money to run new wire, may as well cost out what it would be to jump to the regular 50 amp RV service.

Cheaper to do it once.

Unless, all you ever need is one AC and maybe the converter.

priorguy

If you have to spend the money to run new wire, may as well cost out what it would be to jump to the regular 50 amp RV service.

Cheaper to do it once.

Unless, all you ever need is one AC and maybe the converter.

That a great idea. My TT is only 30A right now but could be 50A in the future. Or I could have a guest needing that so I plan to install a 50A outlet with an adapter to 30A to meet my current requirement. The minimal extra cost to upgrade us cheaper then doing it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedS

Put both a 30-amp and a 50-amp outlet in the outlet box. Then no need for an adaptor.

swburbguy

Dan is right about using the right cord. In my travels I see people using the wrong size cord a lot. They look at price instead of the size cord. At first I tried to explain the size ratings, but I got the deer in the headlight look.

wdk450

Great idea, I am buying one before I plug in again

Most Walmarts have these 30 amp RV extension cords in their RV area (by auto parts). $49 last time I looked. BTW, these have a nice little neon lamp in the clear socket end to help with electrical problem troubleshooting.

scottyb

If you decide to install 50A, look at something like this. It is pre-wired for 50/30/20 with breakers, just like the ones at RV parks. You can get them pretty cheap at Amazon.

Attachments

• IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 65

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Is it possible to run 2 ACs off of 30amp service, if that is all that is drawing power?

danemayer

Is it possible to run 2 ACs off of 30amp service, if that is all that is drawing power?
The living room A/C is probably on a 20 amp breaker and the bedroom is on a 15 amp. So they'd consume most of the available power.

BUT, the power converter draws up to around 12 amps depending on what mode it's in, so you'd have to turn the breaker off that supplies power to the converter. And of course then you'd be running down the battery without recharging it.

With the converter off you might be able to run both A/C units at least until they both tried to start at the same time.

porthole

Retired
Jamie I have run both AC"s with nothing else on on my 30.

Now had I thought far enough in advance I would have run a 50. But, as we all find out, once you run the 30 you tend to make do with it when you upgrade rigs.

Gaffer

You can run one AC unit on a 20 amp circuit if the receptacle is close to the main panel and connected to the RV with a 10 gauge extension cord. You will need to turn off the AC to run a toaster, coffee pot, hair dryer etc. TV, lights etc. are okay. Also be sure that the fridge and water heater are on propane.

scottyb

If I am plugging into 15/20A service, I prefer to run my 50A cord all the way to the source and adapt there. Minimizes any chance for line loss.

priorguy

If you decide to install 50A, look at something like this. It is pre-wired for 50/30/20 with breakers, just like the ones at RV parks. You can get them pretty cheap at Amazon.

I like that but don't (DW) want it on the side of my subdivision house. Maybe next time round when I get some acreage.

Put both a 30-amp and a 50-amp outlet in the outlet box. Then no need for an adaptor.

I already have the adapter in case I only have a choice between 50A and 15/20A. Came with my previous TT and I kept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: