12v short stop breaker question

Mebejets

I have a 2017/18 heartland Sundance 241bh travel trailer. The 12volt short stop circuit breaker has broken apart and has no markings on it except (batt) On one stub and (Aux) on the other std. does anyone know what amperage it could be?
thanks
mebejets

danemayer

Common sizes are 30 amp and 50 amp. Depends what the broken one supplies power to. A 50 amp breaker will have thick wires attached. 30 amp, thin wires.

Mebejets

There is only one on the Trailer that I no of. It’s the main 12volt power supply. It’s a #8 awg. I’ve been in contact with cruiser RV who was the builder and they aren’t sure. I have them researching another part and this one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That #8 wire should handle 40 amps but if in doubt install a 30 amp breaker. If that becomes a problem, not likely, install a 40 amp breaker. They are under $10.

Peace
Dave

Mebejets

Danemayer, yes that’s right surprised me as well. That cruiser built the trailer. After finding this out I found a sticker on the right front frame rail with that information on it.

Mebejets

Find it odd that they can’t look this information up on electrical drawings and tell me right away what it is. Maybe they haven’t went that far yet

danemayer

So there is only one of these mini breakers on my trailer. what would you consider thin or think wires?
#8 is in-between, so I'd agree with Cookie. Get both a 30 and 40 amp breaker. Try the 30 and see if everything works ok. If not, bump it to the 40.

Mebejets

Finally got answer from heartland. According to them they don’t have a wiring schematic/ drawing. Only build sheet. The guy looked it up and told me it should be a 30amp. Guess all the stories about camping trailers is true that the industry is a mess!!!!