New Sundance TT owner

I hope I picked a good camper. I picked up a 2016 Sundance 241BH Travel Trailer. It should fit my family perfectly, Plus I was offered a deal that I could not pass up. I hope to take some short trips around Texas first and then see where the wife would like to go.
On a side note, Has anyone modified their suburban water heater to have asmall rocker switch in the interior of the camper? I don’t want to have to gooutside every time to turn the electric element on and off. I see I can get anatwood relay that will allow me to use a small 12V DC rocker switch like theones already in the control panel and use the 110V side of the relay to controlthe electric water heater element.

danemayer

Hi ChuckNTruck,

While I'm not familiar with your floor plan, every Heartland RV I've seen has an interior switch to turn on the electric heating element. The switch in the lower left corner of the water heater is a secondary switch that protects the heating element from people flipping the inside switch while the tank is empty (like on a dealer lot).

Often the water heater electric switch is a wall-type light switch that illuminates when ON. I've attached a picture of my control panel. Yours may look different, and the water heater controls might even be located separately, but I'd be surprised if you don't find the switches somewhere.

Btw, we have a number of owner-written user guides that you may find helpful. Here's a link.

Attachments

• Control Panel Annotated.jpg
    Control Panel Annotated.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 27
I just checked mine for the interior switch, There is definitely not a switch on the inside. Mine is probably too cheap to have one haha.

wrgrs50s

Sounds like you need to call Heartland Customer Service with your VIN # if no one else with your same model responds. I've yet to see a Gas/Electric HW Heater without a switch inside.

Let us know what you find out ?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler (sister trailer to the Sundance line) has the red switch . . .

It is inside a cabinet door along with the awning and slide switches, and several light switches and tank level indicators.

I thought I had a photo of it . . . I'll have to look for it later!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The switch in my north trails have been in two different locations.

In my 2010 NT, The switch looked like a house hold type AC switch and was located right inside the main entry door.

On my 2016 NT, The switch is in the same panel as the gauges for the battery and tank levels. This panel is located in the bathroom above the light switches.
This panel also contains a switch for the water pump, in addition to the switches for the water heater, LP and AC side by side.

I use the switch located within the water heater to prevent someone from turning on the AC for the water heater when the water heater is empty. So I only turn off this switch when I drain the water heater.

Well i called heartland today and they said that i do not have an interior switch for the electric side of the water heater. Im going to put some use on the trailer before i go and start modifying anything, but i think this will be one of my first modifications.

danemayer

The water heater is typically on it's own circuit breaker, so I would think you could fish a wire from the breaker to a switch that you install.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well i called heartland today and they said that i do not have an interior switch for the electric side of the water heater. Im going to put some use on the trailer before i go and start modifying anything, but i think this will be one of my first modifications.

If there is no switch from the factory, then how can the electric side of the water heater be used directly from the factory?

That is really kind of strange . . .

CaptnJohn

Picked up my new 5er and found no switch inside. Switch is on the water heater ~~ looks like both electric and gas cannot be used at the same time as in my last coach.