13.5 v dropping to 11.4 v

busted2341

We just started having a problem with the slides coming in and the jacks coming up. The batteries show 13.5 volts but when the wife pulls in the slides it drops to as low as 11.4 volts. This stops the slides and it resets after a moment. She then can finish closing the slide. The same happens when raising the jacks. The jacks, wheather manuel or auto retrack, will stop, reset then continue up. Water is good in batteries, always made sure they were full. Any ideas? Four (4) batteries after less then 24 months is a lot to replace and expensive....This only happens upon closing up or raising jacks.

SGeohagan

It's probably a circuit breaker located near the batteries. Had the same problem with my BigHorn. Replaced the breaker and works fine. I got mine from Amazon. Bussman CBC-50HB Circuit Breaker. It's metal, not plastic like original.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Frank - I'd start simple here:
  1. Check the manual-resetting 50 amp breaker to make sure it's pushed in. If it's tripped, your batteries aren't charging from the converter
  2. Change out the 50 amp auto-resetting breaker that feeds your hydraulic system. This breaker can be found at most RV and auto-parts stores.

Here's a good read for understanding portion of your DC power system.

danemayer

Start with the easy stuff. Clean the battery terminals and check that all conections from battery to hydraulic motor are clean and tight.

Check your battery voltage with shore power disconnected or breakers turned off. 13.5V is typical from the Power Converter when in high charge mode (or 13.6). When batteries are fully charged, the Power Converter output is 13.2V. The Power Converter output by itself is marginal when it comes to using the Hydraulics. You also need good batteries.

If the batteries read below 12V when shore power is off (and you've waited 20 minutes to check), you may have one or more defective batteries and should have them load tested.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
If the batteries read below 12V when shore power is off (and you've waited 20 minutes to check), you may have one or more defective batteries and should have them load tested.

Make sure you disconnect all batteries and check each battery separately, a good battery can compensate the voltage reading for a bad battery and it will go unnoticed. Also charge each battery separately checking starting voltage of battery and the ending voltage after the charger has been disconnected for a minimum of 30 minutes (allows the battery to stabilize internally). You should also check the specific gravity of the battery after it has rested.

busted2341

I guess I forgot to say, it does not matter wheather I am plugged in or not. Drop is the same..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx for the replys, where is this breaker ya'll are talking about?

jbeletti

I guess I forgot to say, it does not matter wheather I am plugged in or not. Drop is the same..

- - - Updated - - -

Generator cabinet in front of the coach. On the right side on the back wall. Look at the document I linked to in my previous reply.

mlpeloquin

If you have a volt meter, put it across the 50 amp breaker. It should have almost zero volts. Run jacks. The voltage will display the drop across the breaker contacts. If the breaker opens, the voltage will jump up to almost the full battery voltage. If this happens, you need to replace the breaker.

wdk450

I guess I forgot to say, it does not matter whether I am plugged in or not. Drop is the same..

- - - Updated - - -

This might be a big clue. If the voltage readings are the same plugged or unplugged, I would wonder if the 50 amp charging breaker (or the 12 volt output fuses in the converter) are blown.

See this page from the Tools forum tab; "Manuals, Electrical, DC Buss Bar, Heartland". https://manuals.heartlandowners.org..._Buss_Bar/Heartland/12V diagram and notes.pdf

cfulton

Had the same problem. Finally isolated my batteries, 2, left set overnite and one bad battery! Replaced both.

Last edited by a moderator:

busted2341

Thanx Jim, I sent the question before opening the sheet. Thanx again. I don't want to sound stupid but the 50 amp breaker that is mentioned is the main breaker in the cabnet for the coach correct? There is not some other 50 amp breaker somewhere that I do not know about? Also, if I disconnect the batteries to have them load tested, is there anything that will lose memory or cause a problem leaving the batteries out for 24 hours or so?

I also hope the Block Diagram for breaker locations is correct. As advised that will be my first test. Now the yelling for wife to pull slide in and see if it pops!

busted2341

Ok, another stupid question. Do I need to cut all the power to the coach or can I just turn off the 12 batteries at the switch located by the batteries?

danemayer

Thanx Jim, I sent the question before opening the sheet. Thanx again. I don't want to sound stupid but the 50 amp breaker that is mentioned is the main breaker in the cabnet for the coach correct? There is not some other 50 amp breaker somewhere that I do not know about?

I also hope the Block Diagram for breaker locations is correct. As advised that will be my first test. Now the yelling for wife to pull slide in and see if it pops!

The 50 amp breaker being used by the hydraulics is NOT inside the coach. It's near the batteries on a row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers joined by a copper bus bar and usually covered by a red rubber boot.

And any diagram or photo of the breakers, like the one I'm attaching, is likely not the same arrangement of breakers as on your coach.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 34
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 34

busted2341

Thanx for all the help. I'm really not this stupid but I hate working around electricity. I just need to trace the wire back to the hydrolic pump to find which breaker to replace. I'll start there.

Last edited: