17.5" wheel failures and the day salvaged by Towmax .......

porthole

Retired
Who'd thunk - Towmax to the rescue.

After 2 weeks of dog camp I roll up the ground mat, Chan comes over and says "is your tire flat?"

Ah yup - zero air.

Bring the truck over and air it up to 115 and let it sit for ahwile. 10 minutes later down to 105 or so. Levelup off the ground and use a spray bottle - no leaks found.

Have some lunch while I wait for the sun to swing around a bit and it is obvious it is spare time.
Spare on, trailer hooked up and we leave one of our favorite places to camp.
320 miles later TST goes off showing 35 PSI on the spare, 10:15pm.
No place to pull over on the entrance area to the NJ Turnpike, but there is a rest stop right at the beginning, even before the tolls.

No spare........

Tire does indeed have 35 psi. I contemplate just airing up the tire and go reststop to reststop. In this area they are only 5-10 miles apart.

This is when I find out the trucks compressor has given up the ghost and can't produce more then 40 psi or so.

Good Sam call ends in frustration.

So we find a nice spot in the carpool lot away from many of the trucks and activity, jacks down, SAT antenna up, genny fired up, AC's on and we have something to eat. Time for bed.

In the morning me and the dogs head home, 57 miles away and leave Deb with the Cyclone.
Pick up two original Towmax tires from the basement (never sold them) and head back. The spare had never been used, so it went on the trailer and we made it home without incident.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 137

porthole

Retired
2 years ago on the way to Goshen we had a rim issue, hairline crack on the inner side. That was taken care of then (new).
What are the odds? Pretty good actually.
The two rims on this trip had almost indentical hairline cracks, in the same general location.

These are Hi-Spec wheels and as it turns out have a life time structural warranty.

So, sometime this week I should have 5 new wheels coming, but most likely not in time for the Massachusetts inaugural rally :mad:

I'll have to pay for mounting, and I ordered a case of liquid tire balancer and will be ordering new lug nuts as well. Sometimes not exactly no cost, but not $1500 for 5 wheels either (but they do come with new valve stems installed).

The Towmax may have a saved the day, but they will not be saving a rally.

Westwind

This has to be the FIRST - and I mean FIRST positive Towmax posting that I have read on the Heartland owner's forum. Sorry to hear of your trip interrupter but you handled it well.

porthole

Retired
Here ya go Jon.

Wheel #1 (2 years ago, no record)

Wheel #2

Wheel #3 (this just happened to be the 614 blow out wheel).

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Wow unlucky that you had two cracked wheels but lucky it was close enough to home for the remedy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Here ya go Jon.

Wheel #2

I wonder if they are making these wheels too thin. Mine had pin hole leaks in them but not cracks.

porthole

Retired
I was told by Hi-spec that there was a change in manufacturing on the "dropoff", the part where the rims diameter changes to allow the tire to be removed.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hopefully the mfgr doesn't play "the rim was hit or abused" card. This happened to a friend, when it really wasn't the case at all. Trace

porthole

Retired
So the bad news is that 2 days ago I got an canned email from the person I had been dealing with that he "has left the building" and is no longer employed as of week ago.
The good news is that someone pickup up the claim along the way and processed the replacements.

Sometime today UPS will be dropping off 5 new rims. Appointment tomorrow at Goodyear to make the swap.
Hurricane to follow.

travelin2

Hurricane to follow.

I'll let you know when Joaquin passes by Myrtle Beach. Raining here now with 5-8" forecast through Saturday night !!!
Everything put away, awning up, some beer in the fridge.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
you just never know when the crap is going to hit the fan. Glad all is well now and replacements on the way.

porthole

Retired
So the good news is - the wheels showed up at 6pm :)
The not so good news is - they are the wrong color :mad:

Attachments

• HiSpec wheel silver.jpg
    HiSpec wheel silver.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Hispec wheel gunmetal.jpg
    Hispec wheel gunmetal.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 53

MagnoliaTom

Here ya go Jon.

Wheel #2

I had the same thing with one of my rims on my elkridge. Same location but mine was a much smaller pin hole leak. Luckily, Tredit sent me a new rim that matched

porthole

Retired
Are you going to use them anyway? They still look nice

They do look nice.

But, it reminds me of a trialer we are interested in. One of the hold backs is waking up everyday and the first thing seen is a sliding barn door that i really dislike.

The wheels would probably be a similar scenario. Every day I walk out of the house and I will see wheels that should have been something else.

Kind of a pickle now. Waiting to hear from HiSpec.
We put on wheels that are the wrong color or we wait for the correct wheels and miss the Kentucky and Tennessee rallies.

porthole

Retired
Re: 17.5" wheel failures and the day salvaged by Towmax .......

So we are back on the road.
4 of the correct wheels came a day early, that was a plus. And I did a terminal pickup which means I was able to get them at 9am instead of sometime after 6pm from the brown truck, get them over to the dealer sooner.

At the end of the day it was a little frustrating and not without cost to us.
HiSpec did ship (and returns) at no cost all the wheels
We had a 5 day delay due to wheel color
Lost out on the Massachusetts rally
$160 to dismount, mount the tires (plus 4 trips to the Goodyear dealer)
$171 for a case of Liquid Tire balance (case of 12, needed to use 3)
http://www.liquidtirebalance.com/liquid_tire.htm

$49 for 32 new solid lug nuts (several of the stainless caps were splitting)

2 day delay getting to the Kentucky rally.

On a positive note, after the tire blow out for the Myrtle Beach rally and this issue with wheels, we ended up with new replacements of 5 year old tires and wheels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

travelin2

Yeah but you made the rally. That's what counts, being with HL friends!!