1st time buyers

We're just starting to look for a 5th and have stumbled across a 2005 Landmark, Grand Canyon for a really great price. However, we only have a 2006, F250 at this time and don't see changing vehicles as well just to be able to buy this unit. Would the 3/4 T F250 Diesel tow this unit with comfort, or would be be just making more problems for ourselves?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Papa, Landmarks are too heavy for a 3/4 tn truck. Some people do tow with them. I personally would not. They are really right at the edge for a 1 tn. Bob:D

SilverRhino

Papa;

I agree that the Landmark would be too much trailer for a 3/4 ton. You would be white knuckle driving all the time..

There are a lot of TVs on the road that are towing way over weight......this is just not safe. Personally.....I think a trailer of that weight and size needs a MDT as a tow vehicle.

Just my opinion.....Good Luck!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As a Landmark owner I will say that if you put airbags on your truck you could probably tow with the F250. The problem would be stopping it. That Landmark will weigh in at around 16000-16500. Our Landmark pin weight is 3650 and our F350 is right at the limit. You really would be safer to either buy a larger tow vehicle or a lighter 5er. IMHO

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Another vote on probably exceeding safety limits. You could add helper springs to your F250 to make it functionally equivalent to an F350 as far as payload/pin weight capability. But, with single rear wheels, stability could be an issue. By the way, the F350 does not give you any more braking ability. The braking system on the newer F250's and F350's are identical. We've looked into this considerably and have agreed that if we upgrade to a Landmark, we can pull it home from the dealer and maybe short distances for awhile, but will need an F450/equivalent for the long term.

ricatic

Thanks to Boat to 5ver for stating something I have also researched. I worried about my 04 F250 CC SB 4WD being able to handle my 3055RL. It does have the factory installed overload helper spring set and upgraded tires.. I have seen this option called several things; hd pkg, camper pkg etc. I have weighed it at the same CAT scales 3 times now. Fully loaded, full fuel, construction type generator, small air compressor and 30 gallons of water and ready to go with Deb, me and the dachsund, I weigh 20300 pounds. The trailer itself weighs in at 11,750 pounds. Technically I am over GCVRW by 300 pounds. I am under the max on all axles. I spent many hours reading weight posts etc. on many web sites. The actual difference between a F250 and F350 equipped like mine is negligible. The drive train, suspension and brakes are identical part numbers shared with the F350. What is not shared is the door sticker rating, the tire load range and the F350 emblems. Although the weight concious people will dis-agree and they would be technically correct, I have no issues pulling my 3055RL. In fact, the truck pulls it with gusto. That said, I would want a dually one ton to pull any 5ver that has a gvrw of over 15000 pounds. The one ton SRW would probably scale ok but I would want the stability of the DRW. I understand that this opinion is worth exactly what was paid for it.

Ricatic

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am now on my first dually truck. I have now pulled two 40 foot 5ers with my previous F350 SRW and always had confidence and never any problems. I would have argued that it is just as good as the dually. I have changed my opnion now and can actually feel much more stable with the dually. I don't feel cross wind like I used to either. I was also told by the Ford dealer the difference between the F250 F350 and F450 is 1 leaf on the rear spring. ie the F250 has one less than the F350 and the F450 has one more. Everything else is basically the same. However others have told me the F350 and F450 have a bigger frame on the new ones. I don't know what to believe as you hear so much. Maybe someone from Ford can give us the straight scoop.

ricatic

After extensive internet research on the differences between the F250 and F350 SRW, I would agree with Jim's post above. The one leaf spring additional on the F350 is the single leaf "overload" spring. This spring came in the above mentioned "camper/ heavy duty option noted in my original post. There were some changes made in 2005 when they went to the new front suspension but I still believe the basic premise about the differences is the same. I did not look that far into this 2005+model arena because I already had my 2004.

Ricatic

Cyncwby

Although the F-250/F-350 share much of the same equipment the F-450/F-550 are totally different animals. Yes the body, engine, trans. are the same but the running gear.....wheels, tires, frame, brakes, rear end etc. are much bigger and MUCH better suited for towing a BIG 5th wheel.

William

I too am looking at 5th wheels as a newcomer, but we're wanting a toy hauler in the worst way. I currently own a '06 Ford F250 Fx4 with 20" wheels, SW, off road suspension, tow command/tow boss. I cannot seem to find 'precise' info on what those 'extras' do for my towing/king pin capacities. I can only find towing capacity for F250 in general. Any thoughts? Thanks. -Bill

SilverRhino

I too am looking at 5th wheels as a newcomer, but we're wanting a toy hauler in the worst way. I currently own a '06 Ford F250 Fx4 with 20" wheels, SW, off road suspension, tow command/tow boss. I cannot seem to find 'precise' info on what those 'extras' do for my towing/king pin capacities. I can only find towing capacity for F250 in general. Any thoughts? Thanks. -Bill

In my opinion your "extras" do nothing for your towing capacities.......none of them change the basic elements of the truck....mainly the size of your brakes! We've all seen the commercials with the pick ups towing the 747 jets etc. ........ sure...we can all pull a lot of weight...but....can we safely stop it....or....control it at highway speeds NO!

Just my opinion / concern....... since we all share the same highways!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Agree with SilverRhino (except for the brakes part - F250/350 use the exact same brakes so that only becomes an issue as you go over the capacity of an F350). However, based on the weights and pin weights of various Heartland Toy Haulers, the only one you probably can "safely" tow is the 3010. And for that you need to make sure your tires can carry the weight (my 20" tires can carry 3750lb each), and more importantly, get a set of overload springs added to your truck to increase the pin weight carry capacity.

William

In my opinion your "extras" do nothing for your towing capacities.......none of them change the basic elements of the truck....mainly the size of your brakes! We've all seen the commercials with the pick ups towing the 747 jets etc. ........ sure...we can all pull a lot of weight...but....can we safely stop it....or....control it at highway speeds NO!

Just my opinion / concern....... since we all share the same highways!

Sadly, I'm not very mechanical, but I thought the tow command adjustable braking system would be ample. Is that wrong?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sadly, I'm not very mechanical, but I thought the tow command adjustable braking system would be ample. Is that wrong?

If that's an integrated brake controller (like GM), it controls the electric brakes on the trailer. It changes nothing on the truck. Set wrong, and you will either have little or no trailer brakes, or you'll get your dentures flying at the windshield when you hit the truck brakes. Tow command (assuming it's Tow/Haul) will regulate the transmission shifting depending on speed, load, etc.

William

And for that you need to make sure your tires can carry the weight (my 20" tires can carry 3750lb each), and more importantly, get a set of overload springs added to your truck to increase the pin weight carry capacity.

The sidewall info on my 20" tires indicate the same capacity as yours, 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi.

William

If that's an integrated brake controller (like GM), it controls the electric brakes on the trailer. It changes nothing on the truck. .

Here's what Ford says in their on-line towing brochure:

TowCommand Integrated Trailer Brake Controller​
The​
only trailer brake controller wired directly into the vehicle’s
electrical harness and brake control logic, it ideally matches the
braking force between the tow vehicle and the trailer to provide
smooth, predictable braking. Its integration with the vehicle ABS
reduces the likelihood of trailer wheel lockup on slippery surfaces.

Note:​
This system has only been verified to be compatible with trailers
having electric-actuated drum brakes (one to four axles) and not
hydraulic surge or electric-over-hydraulic types.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's what Ford says in their on-line towing brochure:

TowCommand Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

The
only trailer brake controller wired directly into the vehicle’s
electrical harness and brake control logic, it ideally matches the
braking force between the tow vehicle and the trailer to provide
smooth, predictable braking. Its integration with the vehicle ABS
reduces the likelihood of trailer wheel lockup on slippery surfaces.
Note:

This system has only been verified to be compatible with trailers

having electric-actuated drum brakes (one to four axles) and not
hydraulic surge or electric-over-hydraulic types.

Same as the GM controller, but I can adjust the gain to the trailer brakes manually, if needed.