1st time buyers

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Overload springs, not airbags? I hear springs are cheaper, work as well and with less maintenance. Any particular brand?

We put a set of "SuperSprings" on our F250. They have made a world of difference - much better ride when towing the 5er.

William

As I understand it, I can also adjust the gain. There's a switch on the dash. But the manual seems to be saying that the trailer brakes are integrated with the truck brakes, not acting independently as you suggested. Am I wrong?

boatto5er

As I understand it, I can also adjust the gain. There's a switch on the dash. But the manual seems to be saying that the trailer brakes are integrated with the truck brakes, not acting independently as you suggested. Am I wrong?
The trailer brakes are actuated when the truck brakes are applied. You manually adjust the gain (I'm running at 5.5 right now - your setting will vary depending on several factors: trailer weight being a big one). I went to a big empty parking lot and tried several different settings until I found one that seemed right. You can also apply just the trailer brakes by squeezing the two bars together (if you're going 60 and decide to test this, do it very carefully).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What Gus said. As Gus also said, make sure your seat belt is on, teeth glued in good and dont wet your lips. Picture a smashed bug on the windshield only its inside. OH YEA, and no loose beer cans or guns in the cab. If you really want have some fun, dont warn your DW and leave the glove box door open. After the test, you then close the door to stiffle the screaming. Jim B.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Well, call me crazy and understand I am not looking for a fight. My GMC 2500HD is licienced for 11000kg. I can photocopy the registration. It was done by the highway traffic guys here in Saskatchewan (I live here so I can spell it) I have been pulling a 16000 lb 5 er from coast to coast for 2 years with this one and 4 years with the previous one, just got back from California. Ever see the hills on I 5 or 101? The factory says gross combined for this truck is just under 23,000, sometimes I think I might have to leave the wife behind.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chainsaw, what year is your 2500HD and what engine combo do you have. My 05 manual says 22000# GCVW. Just had my rig weighed and the gross weight was 20760#. Thats only 1240# under the 22000#. A Landmark is way to heavy to pull that weight legally with a 2500HD. I'm speaking of US laws, not sure about Canada. In California any trailer over 15001#, you have to have a Class "A" non-commercial license to legally pull it. Bob:D

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have an 07 duramax 4:11 4x4 crew, I also have a class 1 (in Canada that is a classy as you can get without air endorsment. If you can beleive the material about the landmark it weighs in at 12 and change dry, I have to beleive that I could put 3k of weight into it, the hitch weight is 300lbs less than what I have now. I have been through 3 or 4 DOT safety check stops in BC oregon and colorado, no problem.

I have installed the Banks speed brake, works good so far.

boatto5er

How does your truck ride when you're not towing? We are debating between springs and bags.
We can't notice a difference when we're not towing. The supersprings begin to engage as a load is applied to them. I guess if we hit a really big hole or bump:eek:, it might cause the springs to engage and we'd get a stiffer bump, but we stick to mostly good roads and haven't had that occur.

jnbhobe

I added a 4 leaf progressive helper in place of the standard single leaf. It works real good and never effects the ride when empty. I bet thats the way Gus's works too. Jon :cool: :cool: :cool:

William

I added a 4 leaf progressive helper in place of the standard single leaf. It works real good and never effects the ride when empty. I bet thats the way Gus's works too. Jon :cool: :cool: :cool:

Forgive these 'newbie' questions, but I need some translation:
?Super Springs? What are they and where do you get them?
?4 leaf progressive helper? What is it and where do you get it?

boatto5er

Forgive these 'newbie' questions, but I need some translation:
?Super Springs? What are they and where do you get them?
?4 leaf progressive helper? What is it and where do you get it?

William - No problem with "newbie" questions - that's why we're all here! Check here: http://www.supersprings.com/

I believe they have a dealer locater on the Website. If not, you can probably call them for a shop near you. I got mine from an equipment shop my son worked at.

Gus

boatto5er

What about Timbrens? I hear alot about them. Do they work as well as supersprings?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with them. I believe there are others on here who have them or have experience with them. Hopefully one of them will jump in.

jnbhobe

You don't need both springs and timbrins. I've used timbrins on the front for a plow but thats it. Good helper springs should be available from any good spring shop, mine were made by triangle spring in Dubois, Pa. Real easy to install. Jon ;) ;) ;)