2004 gmc 2500hd ?

MIKEGELLO

Hi im new to the site and wondering if i can get some feed back.I'm looking into buying a 2012 key largo and currently have a 2004 gmc 2500 hd with the duramax.Reading some of the posts i was looking for some feed back on things like is the factory trans cooler big enough? Should i be using tow hual mode? Is anyone having problems with the 2004 models in any way? Any feed back would be helpful.Thanks mike.

Speedy

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Heartland Forum! Is your 2500 a LBZ or LLY engine? I have a 2004.5 3500 and I have the LLY engine and have not had any of the over heating issues that are reported for this engine towing this large of a 5th wheel. Having said that I have taken steps to prevent the overheating in the first place: EGR blocked, larger turbo mouthpiece and ram air.

With your 2500 I would be concerned of pin weight since I'm nearing the limit on my 3500.

MIKEGELLO

Thanks for the info,i believe i have the LBZ engine its the earlier 2004.I have the edge juice with valant air intake,pin weight is also a concern of mine.However landmark says this truck should be fine.I'm convincing the wife to sell our 06 excusion and move to a 5th wheel so i really need to make sure this truck will do the job.Really hope lankmark is not just saying this! or i'll be living in my new key largo!!.Thanks agian for the reply!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, the early GM's are the LB7 version of the Duramax. Power won't be an issue even at stock but you will be over the trucks GVWR rating. The pin weight on the Key Largo will be near or over 3000#. I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear but the facts are what they are. That said, many 3/4 ton trucks are out there hauling loads putting them over their capacities. Just sayin...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a used 2004 GMC 3500 Ext Cab dually the same time we bought our ElkRidge. Not sure which engine, but I do know we've had a couple of overheating incidents. One, in 110 degree temps in Nevada, trying to get through the mountains around Bullhead City. The other, pulling in 90+ temps against a head/crosswind, through flat West Texas. Had to pull over and give the engine about a 10 minute rest, then it was fine. Our rig is not near as heavy as the Landmark. We've looked at the numbers ourselves, I'd be concerned that loaded, you'd be over the GVWR of the truck, even if it could tow it.

E

By "incidents" I should clarify, the dash alerted us the temp was running high, so we pulled over immediately. No boiling over or anything.

Last edited:

jolar3329

I have an early 2004 2500 HD with duramax and a 2009 Big Horn 3670RL. The powertrain is stock. I purchased the trailer in May of 09. I've had no problems hauling the trailer. My pin weight is 3175 lb, which according to my tire load ratings is 66 lb overload.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I agree with mikeandconnie.
Also the GAWR or rear axle rating is not rating for the weight of a Landmark. Sure anywhere you look there will be people saying I've done it for years. Doesn't make it right. Just hopefully you never have an accident overloaded.... or any accident for that matter.
1st off I'd find a CAT scale and weigh the truck full of fuel and see how much weight is on your rear axle. Then add the pin weight of a Landmark.

You could dig deeper on the ratings but if I'm not mistaken a 2500HD has a GVWR of just a tad over 9,000 lbs and the rear axle is rated just barely over 6,000lbs.
The weight on my rear axle is just shy of 7,000 lbs with my Key Largo, on a half tank of fuel, no passengers and not loaded with full ice chests or anything I normally take with me on a trip.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi Ray,thanks so much for the info.How do you like your heartland?
Mike, We've been very pleased with our Bighorn. We were full time for 4 years and recently bought a house in WI again so now we're anytimers. I can't say we haven't had any issues but the majority were minor and since I like to do as much as I can on my own, the rig has only been in for service 3 times. One of those was for a refrigerator cooling unit. I've had the suspension upgraded to the Mor Ryde IS system. For us it was the best way to minimize spring issues. No springs! I believe Heartland has great customer service and if I were to be in the market to replace our Bighorn, I would buy another Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, heres the deal. You will be way over your trucks weight ratings. I had an 05 2500 and the GCVW rating was 22K as by the owners manual. Our BH weigh's just under 14K loaded for travel. Truck is about 7K...SO...thats right at 22K. Had it weighed at a CAT scale. You can not pull a LM with an 04 2500....key word..."legally". You need a 3500. You might find a good used one. Don't know about NJ but in California is a big ticket and fine if you get caught. All JMHO of course.