2006 Ram 2500 5.9 short bed with B&W turn over gooseneck question

myla296

Hi, I did search on here and saw that many use the standard 5th wheel (not sliding). So, would anybody happen to have the following configuration or have insight as to what could go wrong:
-2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 short bed
-B&W turn over gooseneck installed over rear axle (which makes it 40" center for the hitch, versus the recommended 45.5"..it was already on the truck when I bought it)
-B&W companion non-sliding
-2010 Heartland Road Warrior

Thing is, I'm on a huge learning curve and so are most of the people I'm working with...including the people who were trying to install my 5th wheel hitch as automatic slider to fit my B&W, and wound up leaving me with two holes for an adapter (to go between the two brands) but since my hitch was not placed at the standard placement, their adapter won't align. (what's the saying in carpentry? about measuring???)

Thanks for any insight!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Not to pop your bubble....but what model RW are you looking at? What is the GVW of the RW. Forget the empty weight it does not apply at all unless you are going to tow it completely empty. DO NOT LET A SALESMAN TELL YOU YOUR TRUCK IS OK......they lie to make a sale. Most early Ram 2500's are not legal for a RW 5er. JMHO Look in your owners manual and find the GCVW for your truck and post it here and also the GVW of the RW.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think you are going to need a slider if you plan on using that truck.

However, I don't think there is any 250/2500 truck out there rated to pull a Road Warrior.

Kbvols

I think you are going to need a slider if you plan on using that truck.

However, I don't think there is any 250/2500 truck out there rated to pull a Road Warrior.
I agree but man did I see alot of 250/2500's pulling big toy haulers on my way out to SD last week. The rear ends were squatted down lights beaming to the sky and running 80 mph!

Bob&Patty

OK, but what is the rear axle GWR?? I bet loaded for travel the pin weight will be close to 3K#. As a side note....installing airbags, more spring leaves, bigger tires will not change the "legal" weight ratings. Things to ponder for the safety of you and your family. For your information, take your truck to a truck scales and weigh it. The whole truck, full of fuel, and then weigh the axles by themselves. Add the weight of the hitch (200#) your wife and kids and anything you will have in the bed of the truck. All this matters as to what the weight will be on the rear axle.

BTW, adding airbags will keep the TV and trailer level. You need to keep both units as level as possible.

myla296

OK, but what is the rear axle GWR?? I bet loaded for travel the pin weight will be close to 3K#. As a side note....installing airbags, more spring leaves, bigger tires will not change the "legal" weight ratings. Things to ponder for the safety of you and your family. For your information, take your truck to a truck scales and weigh it. The whole truck, full of fuel, and then weigh the axles by themselves. Add the weight of the hitch (200#) your wife and kids and anything you will have in the bed of the truck. All this matters as to what the weight will be on the rear axle.

BTW, adding airbags will keep the TV and trailer level. You need to keep both units as level as possible.

Thanks... The truck is getting rotors and pads right now so... I'll look at the rear differential when I can. But, the friend guiding me said that it's good for 6,000 (somehow, he's my expert and is an engineer without the degree, works at a pipe bending place so... His knowledge of conversions and such is very good).

And since it's just me (single female... I'm going to teach in a rural community and going to rent at a pretty nice Rv park), I don't have a lot of extra weight. Also, any heavy weight I'll have will be at the rear of the Rv since I race motorcycles. So, I may have a scooter and race bike in the back eventually (my bike is with a friend for now). And I won't transport anything else in the bed.

Thanks so much for your care and concern, I hope that some of what I offered is reassuring.. Except that I need to get the rear axle info. :). Keep the thoughts coming, I have a lot to learn and don't want to do it the hard way!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Truck is 8800, Rv is 14,000

[myla: Be careful in your numbers...I have a 2011 short bed mega cab and was going to upgrade my TT to a 5th wheel in Goshen. My truck payload is only 1870lbs, yet the axle wt was 6,000lbs...while the truck GVW can pull up to 18000lbs the problem was the pin wt of the Sundance is 1640, plus an extra 55 gal tank in the bed put me several hundred over the payload without me inside the truck. While the truck could pull it, I would be over weight and the legal action should an accident occur regardless of fault could be devastating. You can't always just look at the axle wt, as in my case the truck could never equal the 6,000 lb the axle would accomodate. Just my two cents worth. I have a new 2016 on order for my future upgrade to a 5th wheel. ]

Bohemian

http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehic...iesel+Engine%5E4-Speed+Automatic+Transmission

2006 dodge ram pickup 2500 2500 LARAMIE, QUAD CAB, 4WD, 6.25 Ft Bed, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, 5.9-Liter HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine:

With 3.73 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 12950 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs
Payload = 2096 lbs
Curb Weight = 6904 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 4223 lbs/4223 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 5200 lbs/6010 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

With 4.10 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 12950 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs
Payload = 2096 lbs
Curb Weight = 6904 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 4223 lbs/4223 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 5200 lbs/6010 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

justafordguy

While I agree that the weight ratings placed on a vehicle by the manufacturer is sometimes a good guideline for what a vehicles capabilities are, they are not law. Manufacturers do not make weight laws. Each state makes it's own vehicle weight laws but in most states the "legal" weight limit is 20k lbs per axle and 80k lbs gross. As long as your truck and trailer are registered for the correct GVWR, you are legal.;)

Bob&Patty

I'm not so sure about not being the "law". But the sticker in the door is what county mounties will say is "law". I also am sure that the weight stickers are required by the DOT/NTSB. 20K on a pickup truck axle....sorry I don't think so. A 18 wheeler is only allowed 18K on the steering axle and 34K on double axles. Well thats what was allowed on my semi. Then there is the "bridge law".

True the manufactures do not make the "laws".....the feds do. If your on an interstate funded by the feds...they make the weight laws not the states. Some states do have length and weight laws in certain cities.

justafordguy

I'm not so sure about not being the "law". But the sticker in the door is what county mounties will say is "law". I also am sure that the weight stickers are required by the DOT/NTSB.

I was told by the DMV and law enforcement that the weight stickers on a vehicle are only required for manufacturing and sale and are not required after you purchase it. They claimed that they were like the tags on a new mattress.

I know a pickup axle can't carry 22k but that is the legal limit in my state.

You can find the legal weight and length limits for federal and state highways in the front of the Rand McNally road atlas starting on page a14.

You should certainly use the manufacturers ratings as a guideline but they are not law.

Bones

I'm gonna start some trouble now.:angel: Here are the frame designs for a 2014 ram. One is the SRW 2500 and one is the 3500 DRW the 3500 SRW is exactly the same as the DRW. The frame strength on all of these frames is 50 Kpsi. The frame at the axle for the 2500 is actually wider to accommodate the coil springs and has the same strength. I'm not saying that the SRW is more stable it is obvious that the DRW has more stability in it. The only difference would be axle ratings and spring rates. The frame sizes are the same at their termination points as well. The spacing is the same.

View attachment 2014 3500 frame DRW.pdfView attachment 2014 frame 3500 srw.pdfView attachment 2014 frame 2500.pdf

Bob&Patty

The DMV in California has no idea what "THERE" laws are. You will never get the same answer from any of them. Even the CHP is the same. So don't count on any officer to read the laws the same.

Bones

I wonder if the axle housing it self is any different between the three?

I haven't researched the axles yet to see if there is a change in the housing or if they just added the dually hubs and lengthened the axle a bit. I do bet I could probably get dually's on my current axle. I need to try that out. I think the axles for the 3500 SRW and possibly the 2500 SRW 10000 GVW might be the same but I have no conclusive info yet.

Justafordguy,
I did do a little searching for your frame designs but have not found them accessible yet. I will keep looking.