2006 Ram 2500 5.9 short bed with B&W turn over gooseneck question

justafordguy

Thanks Bones, the info is a little hard to find but from what I have found so far the older (like mine) F250 and F350 SRW have the same frame, axle, brakes, drivetrain, shocks, engine, trans, coolers, radiators, and even rear springs. The only difference I have found is the standard overload spring and a lift block on the rear of the F350 SRW which could also be ordered in the towing package on the F250 making them exactly the same truck. It also looks like the base axle housing in the F350 DRW was the same, the 10.50 Sterling. The axle itself is rated for 9750 lbs and the GAWR is de-rated depending on what rear springs and tires the trucks came with.

Bones

Thanks Bones, the info is a little hard to find but from what I have found so far the older (like mine) F250 and F350 SRW have the same frame, axle, brakes, drivetrain, shocks, engine, trans, coolers, radiators, and even rear springs. The only difference I have found is the standard overload spring and a lift block on the rear of the F350 SRW which could also be ordered in the towing package on the F250 making them exactly the same truck. It also looks like the base axle housing in the F350 DRW was the same, the 10.50 Sterling. The axle itself is rated for 9750 lbs and the GAWR is de-rated depending on what rear springs and tires the trucks came with.

That sounds about right. Especially with manufacturing a lot of times they just de-rate things depending on what you buy. The reason they do this is so that they can save money by ordering one part and it carries through-out the product line. I really should get a hold of some dually wheels and see if they will fit. Just to see..

justafordguy

You can buy dually kits for all of these SRW trucks. They come with dually wheels and dually fenders and everything it takes to make it a dually, kinda cool.

myla296

I'm in Texas by the way, you should see some of the "legal" towing configurations around here...so...that point is moot.

And my extremely knowledgeable and cautious friend who over thinks everything realized that the difference between a 2500 and 3500 Dodge is negligible, and advised to just be mindful of the tire pressures since I won't have the safety of the secondary tire in case of a blow out (and I have summarily ordered a TPMS for my tires and those of the 5th wheel...and they do work, based on a friend's experience and being able to anticipate 3 tire problems on his way out with his motorhome).

Thanks again for all of the info..

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
[And my extremely knowledgable and cautious friend who over thinks everything realized that the difference between a 2500 and 3500 Dodge is negligible]

[that may or may not be true on the older models but not on the new ones....the 2016 3500 is totally beefier than the 2500 and the payload is more than double]

myla296

[And my extremely knowledgable and cautious friend who over thinks everything realized that the difference between a 2500 and 3500 Dodge is negligible]

[that may or may not be true on the older models but not on the new ones....the 2016 3500 is totally beefier than the 2500 and the payload is more than double]

For my budget, I was in the years of the Cummins 5.9 (~2005-2007) and so that is what he deduced. I used to have a Ford Ranger, I'm moving up ;)

Bones

Re: 2006 Ram 2500 5.9 short bed with B&W turn over gooseneck question

Look at my earlier post on the frames. They are identical for the exception of the spring area. The steel strength is the same across the platforms 50k psi in the rear. The only difference are the spring rates.

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy dually kits for all of these SRW trucks. They come with dually wheels and dually fenders and everything it takes to make it a dually, kinda cool.

I did a little more research and the 2500 and 3500 to the 3500 DRW use the same rear. The coil 2500 has different spring perches welded on it. It looks like I can shove a fairly wide tire under mine and give a slightly wider stance if I choose to go that route.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like our limiting factor is the rims which the aluminum ones max out at 3500 on the aftermarket. 4 aftermarket dually rims would mean a total load rating of 14k on the rear axle.

Doublegranch

2016 Ram
The big news is a boost in diesel power from 865 to 900 pound-feet of torque, coupled with an increase in the peak towing capacity from 30,000 to 31,320 pounds. The former is a record for a production vehicle, the latter is best in class. To achieve this, Ram moved from 12 to 16 hardened bolts on the rear axle ring gear (for all trucks with the 11.8-inch axle), and used stronger materials in the differential case.

The Ram 3500 has the highest payload in a pickup — 7,390 pounds (6.4 engine). The Ram 2500 has class-leading towing of 17,980 pounds. All Ram towing figures are based on SAE J2807 standards.
Ram 2500 has a unique five-link coil rear suspension, with an optional air suspension system that replaces the coil springs and adds load-levelling capability. The Ram 3500 keeps a standard rear Hotchkiss leaf spring setup, with an optional supplemental air suspension system that also levels the load, increases ride quality, and improves stability, without reducing the maximum towing capacity.

Bones

2016 Ram
The big news is a boost in diesel power from 865 to 900 pound-feet of torque, coupled with an increase in the peak towing capacity from 30,000 to 31,320 pounds. The former is a record for a production vehicle, the latter is best in class. To achieve this, Ram moved from 12 to 16 hardened bolts on the rear axle ring gear (for all trucks with the 11.8-inch axle), and used stronger materials in the differential case.

The Ram 3500 has the highest payload in a pickup — 7,390 pounds (6.4 engine). The Ram 2500 has class-leading towing of 17,980 pounds. All Ram towing figures are based on SAE J2807 standards.
Ram 2500 has a unique five-link coil rear suspension, with an optional air suspension system that replaces the coil springs and adds load-levelling capability. The Ram 3500 keeps a standard rear Hotchkiss leaf spring setup, with an optional supplemental air suspension system that also levels the load, increases ride quality, and improves stability, without reducing the maximum towing capacity.

I think they did a very nice job with the new 2016 model. They are all in a fight to be the best but they have unfortunately surpassed what joe blow can legally haul on a standard license. The 4 link setup does a real good job at keeping axle wrap down.

Doublegranch

Bones:

I agree, When is enough, Enough? I can't wait to get my 2016...I did order the air suspension, it will be interesting to see how it rides.
I will miss my 2011 fuel mileage with the deletes as it was 21-22 hwy non tow. They are saying the 2016 in a test got 23mpg, that would be super....

Bones

Bones:

I agree, When is enough, Enough? I can't wait to get my 2016...I did order the air suspension, it will be interesting to see how it rides.
I will miss my 2011 fuel mileage with the deletes as it was 21-22 hwy non tow. They are saying the 2016 in a test got 23mpg, that would be super....
So more HP and more mileage Nice trade off. I only get about 15 to 17 mpg daily. No horrible but not bad. Towing I range from 10 to 11 mpg.

Doublegranch

Bones: How did you come upon that name? I have a friend who's nickname is Bones...He is a radiologist/chiropractor so kind of fits..

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I know a "bones" here in Socal. The name fits him. I don't know if he is still building cars (high end '50's and 60's style customs) but he built some great cars.

myla296

All righty, it's been fun getting this thing together...

So, I did wind up with the B&W sliding companion for my B&W turn over ball gooseneck that was already installed in the truck I bought recently. However, the bed liner and padding prevented it from engaging at the pin
20150806_191349_zpss9shcuqw.jpg

We wound up simply pulling out the bed liner and voila, it engaged. One of my concerns was the turning angle of the cab vs. the RV and there is no problem.
20150807_222509_zpsntzfzbck.jpg

Here is the whole set up
20150807_222238_zps4vnngq6p.jpg

Here is the shock of the truck, there is still room so that's good news!
20150807_215734_zpstbz6iiqq.jpg

Granted, we need to take it out on the roadway to really feel what we have going on, but, I feel much more secure than I did before. Thanks everybody for your advisement!

Attachments

• 20150806_191349_zpss9shcuqw.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 10

Bones

All righty, it's been fun getting this thing together...

So, I did wind up with the B&W sliding companion for my B&W turn over ball gooseneck that was already installed in the truck I bought recently. However, the bed liner and padding prevented it from engaging at the pin

We wound up simply pulling out the bed liner and voila, it engaged. One of my concerns was the turning angle of the cab vs. the RV and there is no problem.
20150807_222509_zpsntzfzbck.jpg

Here is the whole set up
20150807_222238_zps4vnngq6p.jpg

Here is the shock of the truck, there is still room so that's good news!
20150807_215734_zpstbz6iiqq.jpg

Granted, we need to take it out on the roadway to really feel what we have going on, but, I feel much more secure than I did before. Thanks everybody for your advisement!
That looks good. Enjoy your rig.