2007 Bighorn 2925. Axle / Suspension Quesions

davesch

Spent some time under our New ( Used) to us 2007 Bighorn. I am a little concerned over all the axle issues I have read. While looking under the unit I noticed one of the U Bolts on the rear axle was not showing the nuts tightened ( all the other U Bolts were tightened where I could see the threads were exposed). So not 1 of the bolts I tested were at ( or close) to 65 lbs torque. Also, when I am looking at the axles from the rear, seeks the axle is sagging a little.

On the side of one of the wheel wells there is a decal that says Mor/Ryde suspension.

I am not sure what Mor/ Ryde suspension this unit has.

Guess I am looking for clarification from others as to what this unit would have had installed suspension wise from the factory and if a little sag in the axle is standard?

Any comments appreciated
Thanks
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mor/Ryde is a manufacturer of axles and suspensions. In 2008 Heartland went to Lippert brand.
Your axles should actually have an arch to them. If they are sagging down that is not right.
Hope this clears a few things up for you.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, the center section is the Mor Ryde rubber shear equalizer, It was standard on the 2006 & 2007 Bighorns. I haven't heard many issues with that system. Every once in a while you hear of a separated shear rubber which basically means that the rubber block has separated from it's bolts and is now riding up inside that metal box.
As for the axles, they are normally crowned higher in the center. This will give you the impression the outer ends of the axle are sagging. Is this your situation? If so, it's normal. The U bolts do need to be checked and re-torqued now and then. The biggest potential problems are springs weakening and going flat and or breaking and the shackle bolts wearing the nylon bushing out and also elongating the holes in the shackles where the bolts go through. This can be remedied by replacing the shackles and bolts with a "wet bolt" kit available through Lippert Components.
While your under there, take a close look at the tires. If they are Mission tires, consider replacing them as soon as possible. The tires used during that era of Heartland trailers were prone to blowouts. If you have Goodyear's G614 or a Maxxis tire or even an LT tire by Michelin or BF Goodrich you should be fine but still watch your air pressures and inspect the tires regularly for tread separation and bubbles in the sidewalls.
Have your brakes checked, cleaned and adjusted and bearings repacked. If it's new to you, it may not have ever been done... Welcome to RV ownership.:p

caissiel

As for the springs, I replaced the 4 springs on my unit due to what I heard and found out that the new springs looked exactly the same after the switch. The lippert springs have a flat section on center for over the axle installation and when loaded will curve on center and look a bit like a W. I did find out through the exercise that the spring plates on top will bend and add additional loading to the springs when torqued, and once loaded it will losen the U-bolts even more.

But you have the 6K springs and I feel your plate might be ok for the springs but on our 7K springs Lippert send me 9/16" u-bolts and heavier plates that will not bend under full U-Bolt torquing, and in 2 years have never shown any sign of loosening.

I have included picks of old and the new springs on my unit.

Attachments

• HPIM7752.jpg
    HPIM7752.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 3 Compared New an&#.JPG
    3 Compared New an&#.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 63
  • 1 Left Rear Sprin&#.JPG
    1 Left Rear Sprin&#.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 4 Right Spring..jpg
    4 Right Spring..jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 6 Right Rear Spri&#.jpg
    6 Right Rear Spri&#.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 68

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have a '07 2955RL with the same suspension. Have never had a problem with it. I did install the "wet bolt" kit and changed the springs to 7K. The style of Mor/Ryde suspension is a "RS". If your springs look flat I would replace them and install wet bolts. It can be done at home....BUT....never jack up the coach by the axles. Only by the frame and have it hooked to the truck when lifting one side at a time. You can bend the front landing gear or worse. Did it once and when I saw what was happening...I had go change my shorts. And by all means inspect the tires. I put the GY G614's on ours. They can be pricey....but so can replacing the side of your 5'er. JMHO of course.

davesch

First off, thanks for the responses! This is a great Forum!

In response:

I am going to get under the trailer this weekend and take pictures to help with the sag issue, at least what I think I see. Seems to me it sags in the middle of the axle, but I will look again.

Regarding the tires. They are not the Missions, however, I know I need to consider tires. I read some about the G614's however, have not checked the rims to see if they are rated for those tires. I read about the Michelins also, and still looking into the options.

I appreciste the pictures on the springs. Mine don't look like they are sagging, just real rusted. Not sure if I should look into the 7k springs now or wait until spring.

I did talk to Mor Ryde today and James there mentioned the wet bolt kit. He wants a picture first to see what the suspension looks like firs, so I will do that this weekend.

Thanks for the advice if I do it myself and not jack up without on the truck and use the frame. Not sure if the brakes have been adjusted but the guy I bought it from had the bearings repacked . I bought it from a guy who bought it wholesale. I knew I would have some work to get it ready, but everything on the inside looks new and works.

Also, as a side comment I made a post acouple of weeks ago about the motor for the rear stabilizer. Good advice was given. I took it all apart cleaned it up, works perfec t now.

ANy other comments appreciated, otherwise will update this weekend.

Thanks
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Dave, Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. It sounds like you are on the right track. Enjoy your "new" Bighorn.

davesch

Well I spent most of the weekend under the RV cleaning up the rust and I am about 3/4 of the way done. I looked again at the axles and maybe I was on my head before but the axles are higher in the middle so guess that is ok. Looks like one of the springs were replaced and has 6 pieces to it, the others are 5 piece springs. I use piece to describe the number of pieces of steel. They are not sagging. I will probably get the wet bolt kit, maybe replace the springs, but really would like to use it once before tax season and I am getting tired working on the trailer. We will see. Just out of curiosity, why do you think the mfg is cheap and not using stainless or at least galvanized on most of these connectors? Same with the underbody frame. Seems they would dip it when they are building it. WOuld not cost that much and for a trailer that retailed over $50k when new, would be a nice touch to quality?

By the way how do you tell if the rims are G rated ? Any easy way?

More questions will follow, just a quick update!

Thanks for listening!
Dave

archbarb

Well I spent most of the weekend under the RV cleaning up the rust and I am about 3/4 of the way done. I looked again at the axles and maybe I was on my head before but the axles are higher in the middle so guess that is ok. Looks like one of the springs were replaced and has 6 pieces to it, the others are 5 piece springs. I use piece to describe the number of pieces of steel. They are not sagging. I will probably get the wet bolt kit, maybe replace the springs, but really would like to use it once before tax season and I am getting tired working on the trailer. We will see. Just out of curiosity, why do you think the mfg is cheap and not using stainless or at least galvanized on most of these connectors? Same with the underbody frame. Seems they would dip it when they are building it. WOuld not cost that much and for a trailer that retailed over $50k when new, would be a nice touch to quality?

By the way how do you tell if the rims are G rated ? Any easy way?

More questions will follow, just a quick update!

Thanks for listening!
Dave

Look on the back side of the rims and see if "110 psi" is stamped anywhere!!!!!

Archie

Ray LeTourneau

Dave, if Your trailer has the "Series06" wheels, they are more than likely the G rated wheels. My BH is an 07. A little heads up about those wheels, before heading out, make sure you have a socket that will fit into the hole and fit the lug nut. I had to grind down the OD of a 13/16 impact socket to fit into the hole.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about replacing springs but just make sure everything is tight under there.
Regarding the frame. Depending on when the trailer was built and when it was delivered, they are subjected to snowy, icy, salt covered roads. Galvanizing something that large isn't easy or cheap. What connectors are you referring to?

wdk450

Dave:
The spring pieces are called "leafs".
You might check with Dexter Axles for the best price on a wet bolt kit. I know that Lippert wants about $80 for this. I think they are all the same size.
At some point Heartland/Lippert started powder coating the frames. A lot of people apply the rust converter stuff.

lwmcguir

First off, thanks for the responses! This is a great Forum!

In response:

I am going to get under the trailer this weekend and take pictures to help with the sag issue, at least what I think I see. Seems to me it sags in the middle of the axle, but I will look again.

Regarding the tires. They are not the Missions, however, I know I need to consider tires. I read some about the G614's however, have not checked the rims to see if they are rated for those tires. I read about the Michelins also, and still looking into the options.

I appreciste the pictures on the springs. Mine don't look like they are sagging, just real rusted. Not sure if I should look into the 7k springs now or wait until spring.

I did talk to Mor Ryde today and James there mentioned the wet bolt kit. He wants a picture first to see what the suspension looks like firs, so I will do that this weekend.

Thanks for the advice if I do it myself and not jack up without on the truck and use the frame. Not sure if the brakes have been adjusted but the guy I bought it from had the bearings repacked . I bought it from a guy who bought it wholesale. I knew I would have some work to get it ready, but everything on the inside looks new and works.

Also, as a side comment I made a post acouple of weeks ago about the motor for the rear stabilizer. Good advice was given. I took it all apart cleaned it up, works perfec t now.

ANy other comments appreciated, otherwise will update this weekend.

Thanks
Dave

There remains a lot of confusion about tires and wheels. You can certainly run the G614's on 80 psig wheels. You only inflate to 80 psig. The tire then is rated for the respective load at 80 psig. The load bearing capacity at 80 psig is similar to the other tires rated at 80 psig. You have however the benifit of a much stronger tire that is less likely to blow out when it encounters a road hazard. They will last much longer. We are running them over 10 years on stock and flat bed trailers with no problems at both 80 and 110 psig depending on the trailer.

davesch

Good Information above, Thanks. Regarding the wheels, yes they are the 06 Series, and I will take a closer look this weekend but I like the idea of getting the G rated Goodyears and going with the correct air pressure.

Thanks for the foresight on the 13/16 lug nut socket, I will look to see if I need to do some grinding on mine for it to fit.

Connectors. Yes not a good description by me. I am talking about all the self threading bolts that are half rusted holding up the plastic material that protects the bottom.

Hey anyone with a bighorn close to my model that could take a picture of the underneath of the trailer between the door and the front of the trailer? Whoever had this before me got the trailer into something and the aluminum ( I Think)that is what the material is) is missing in that area. Just wondering what it should look like.

Thanks - Willl be back after more work this weekend!

Dave

jdfishing

Ray: You mentioned replacing the shackles and bolts with a wet bolt kit from Lippert. How would I explain to Lippert exactly what I need on my 2007 3055 Bighorn with the Mor Ryde? I tried to get them replaced when the last shackle broke, but the repair facility said they couldn't find a wet bolt kit for the Mor Ryde.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty sure that all the spring bolts are standard. I know of a couple of guys that installed MorRyde wet bolts on a Lippert system.
Just get the Lippert wet bolts.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

When I talked to the Mor-Ryde rep at Goshen, he said Mor-Ryde gets their wet bolt kits from Dexter then resells them. You can order direct from Dexter at real good prices if you need a set....Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You could take a shackle bolt to a spring repair shop and most likely get wet bolts. Heck even a NAPA store might have them. Having a Mor/Ryde system does not make any difference as to wet bolts.