2007 Ram regen

Gas20

Does anyone know about the regen process on my 6.7 Cummings. It does not appear on the overhead and I think it is not an option on my year. How can you tell when it regens? I have taken it out and ran at a certain speed for 20 to 30 miles and noticed nothing, can someone suggest?

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
The 2007 dodge does not not have the rege. Just make sure to change your fuel filter as per the onwers manual. Also run your exhaust brake all of the time. Dale

szewczyk_john

The early 07 6.7 do regen. This was an issue with them at first. The soot is supposed to be trapped in the diesel particulate filter(DPF) and when regen is required extra diesel is supposed to be burned to increase the exhaust temp and burn the soot off. This will only occir at high speeds and takes more milage that you stated. Alot of people have disconnected the EGR and DPF but it is not legal in most states. You can also buy some tuners (smarty jr and edge I think) they allow you to do a manual regen.

I do not have an 07 but I do keep up on cummins powered stuff since a newer truck is always in the picture.

Gas20

In reply the 2007 does not have the info come up on the overhead console, but does regen. I just don,t know how often it does it, or if it will do it while towing or normal driving. The service rep told me to drive it for about 30 or 40 miles at highway speed and it will regen. I have done this and seen no difference, maybe it just doesn't need it.

hoefler

The early 07's had the 5.9 and no DPF, the 07.5 had the first generation of the 6.7 in them with all the exhaust junk. If everything is operating as it should, you will never know when it goes into regen. After you have some time in the driver's seat, you may notice a change in the exhaust tone, the DTE will go down a bit then return to normal, if you have an EGT gauge installed you will see it for sure. Since the EPA fined Edge for the non-compliant tuners, all of the tuner manufacturers have removed all of their non-CARB compliant products from the market. You will be hard pressed to find any emission defying products out there, unless you buy a used one.

Rrloren

The 2007 with the 6.7L cummins does go thru regens. About every 2 or 300 miles depending on how it's driven and amount of idling time. Without gauges you likely will not know when it occurs , however if it does not go thru a complete regen after 3 or 4 attemps the overhead will display a warning that your 80% full and a regen is required. At this point you need to take a ride for 15 mins. or so at speeds of 45mph or more and you will notice the overhead will change from 80% full to 70% then the display will return to normal.
If you do not do this the truck will eventually go into "limp mode" which will be drastically reduced power then you will need to go to the Dealer for a fix.
I bought a Edge CTS gauge which displays numerous engine parameters including when the truck is in regen. I setup the instrument to display EGT's , Trans Temp , Boost, Regen on/off , and air intake temp. , but there are many other items to chose but these are the ones I want to see.

JJnVA

Does anyone know about the regen process on my 6.7 Cummings. It does not appear on the overhead and I think it is not an option on my year. How can you tell when it regens? I have taken it out and ran at a certain speed for 20 to 30 miles and noticed nothing, can someone suggest?

I drive a 2007 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 turbo engine, 6 speed automatic transmission and was manufactured in June 2007. I after market equipped my truck with an Edge Attitude engine programer and with it I can monitor selected engine conditions. A diesel mechanic that I know strongly recommended the Edge. One reading I display is EGT (exhaust gas temp), and I have it set to warn me if my EGT exceeds 1350 degrees. When The engine computer determines that the exhaust filters need regen, the temp will quickly rise to 1250 or more. As soon as the temp goes over 1350 the monitor will beep and flash the temp reading. Going over 1350 is hard on the turbo and will effect it's life. When in regen, towing and pulling a hill I modify the temp rise to below 1350 by shifting down to 5th or 4th which will give me control of the EGT by increasing RPM. I have noticed that most of the carbon build up comes from short trips and city driving. When I am on more or less flat road running 55-65 the normal EGT of 950 to 1100 will remove mild build ups when I am on the interstates. I can pull all day and never see regen. Also with a little history you will pick up a slight change in exhaust noise when in regen. That gives me an early heads up to watch the EGT. Because my Edge is set to alarm at 1350 and added benefit is that it gives me 90 seconds to adjust my EGT. If I don't it will defuel the engine to control the temp and I will lose HP. Well of course I don't let that happen but I think the edge is a great tool. There were several engine computer software updates they were mandated updates and were free at the dealers. Make sure yours is up to date. I was told by my dealer that the updates were relative to the exhaust system. An added benefit from the Edge is 4 levels of HP increase without damaging the engine. In level 2 (tow mode) I get 20 HP and about 2 MPG increase. Check it out on line. I know this was wordy but I hope this helps.

Jack Barnett

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I dont own a Dodge...but....do you have a DEF tank on the 07? I dont think that GM had them until the 2011 models. When my 2013 GMC goes into regen at idle I know it. The idle speed goes up but I dont notice it at any speed above idle. I pull a work trailer every day and I get 800-1000 miles per gallon of DEF fluid.

szewczyk_john

JJNVA,

Nice write up. I was wondering about how shifting different gears would play on the EGT. I keep my eye out for early 07 that still have the 5.9 but I am not sure that I will buy one since it is only a year newer than my 06 but I do want to move up to 3500 dually. While the first 6.7s had issues they can be dealt with but dodge and cummins quickly addressed those issues with the 6.7 engines although I know the miles per gallon sucks compared to the 5.9.

PUG

Pug
I have an 09 and you cannot tell the difference when the regen starts unless you have an EGT guage. I had a Duramax before that I put a "booster on" and a EGT guage. I probably would have burn't the engine up if not for the EGT guage but I am sure the Cummins works differently. After that experience and talking with Cummins I decided I would not boost it. I did however order a three guage pillar guage set being Transmission, boost, and EGT gauges. It was a fairly straightforward installation and I can tell anytime I am in regen and back off a little if needed if pulling hard. Cummins did tell me that the engine is "idiotproof" and it will adjust itself to keep from hurting the engine. If you don't put the truck in a pulling or longer distance drive it can plug up the filter and that is pricey to fix. Here is the website of DieselManor. Their instructions and phone support is suburb. I also bought a drill, tap, and matching paint for the post. Everything was totally included in their kit. Good luck.