2008 Diesel 2500 HD starting problem

Garypowell

SOLVED 2008 Diesel 2500 HD starting problem

Thought I would start here. Probably going to take my Chevy to a shop or dealership next week.

Started a couple of days ago setting up at a new place in Savannah area. Truck was at an odd angle and I disconnected it. Linda had a customer to go see. She started the truck then it died. I figured we were too low on fuel and it was sucking air. Put in 5 gallons and primed it and it fired up. Pulled it away onto level ground and it died again. Primed it again and it fired right up and off she went.

Today pulled to Charleston with no issues. Once unhooked the truck cranked for about 5 - 7 seconds (seems like an eternity) and then fired up. Tried several times and had the same ocurance. Once it is running it seems to be fine. This truck has always started the instant I turn the key.

I changed the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago but no problem up until now. Truck has 130K on it and I did change out the injectors about 100K but other than that perfect.

Just looking for a basic idea of what I might be up against when I find a shop in Charleston next week.....fuel pump?? Something else??

I have done a fair amount of mods on the 3010 but I am not an engine guy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

My guess would be an air leak probably at the fuel filter since you just changed that. There are several places to look with the Duramax fuel filters. Start with the bleeder screw. Is it closed? Is it leaking? The o-ring on the screw is known to leak. You will find fuel around it if it is. Is the filter tight? If not it will suck air around the O-Ring. Check the WIF sensor at the bottom of the filter. Is it leaking? And here is a biggy. If you ran the truck low enough on fuel that you thought that could be the problem you could have sucked junk from the bottom of the tank into the filter and it is now partially plugged.

You will note in my signature that I have the Nicktane filter adapter. That system takes the WIF (Water in Fuel) sensor out of the picture all together since it is worthless and leaks. In addition it is an adapter that allows the use of Caterpillar filters that are 2 micron rather than the, again, worthless GM filters. And the Cat filters are about $15 compared to the $35 to 50 for the GM.

Additionally, I can only assume that the 08 is much the same fuel system as the earlier models and there is no fuel pump. There is a CP3 which pulls fuel up thus creating the air suction issues with these systems. The best friend of your fuel system would be a lift pump at the tank that pumps fuel rather than having a CP3 at the engine trying to suck fuel up.

Garypowell

Thank you. I should mention I do have the Nicktane too. This was my first filter change. I think I got the filter tight....at least it worked the first time.

So I might try priming again and seeing if there is some air in the filter. I usually determine this by how hard it is to push the primer button.

just as the first time I filled the filter and then used the primer to finish the job. Did not use the bleeder valve....was not sure what it was for. Maybe it is to be opened when priming.

Sorry to be so dumb about this but it worked so easy the first time.

Keep suggesting

Westwind

No question is dumb - you are braver then I, I change the oil but not the fuel filter, garage does that for me.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We had that with our Chevy too. It turned out to be an air leak in the canister around the fuel filter. Priming it to get it started worked in a pinch until we could get it to a shop and replace the canister.

Hope yours is that easy.

Kristy

Garypowell

If someone would tell me....about that bleeder screw. Is it supposed to be open when I push the priming button down? Then once fuel comes out I close it?

As I have alluded to earlier I have never done it that way. My trick was to turn on the ignition (it never seemed to work with out it on...and of course this is why I thought I had a fuel pump) and then push down on the "primer" as I call it until it got hard to push down. Started the truck and away I went.

Between being out of fuel once and installing the Nicktane about 10,000 miles ago that is how I filled up the filter. But if that bleeder valve has to be open then I guess I have just been lucky in the past....and that might very well be my problem now.....air in the top of the fuel filter assembly.

So if someone who knows will chime in and tell me.

Plus what is a "CP3"? Sounds like it is some kind of vacuum pump that pulls the fuel up into the filter. Where is it at, etc????

Thanks again,

sjs731

Open when pushing the primer. When fuel starts to come out close the screw.

Steve and Carrie
HOC#2252
Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

mzcummins

The cp3 is your injection pump, the duramax does not have a fuel pump, the cp3 pulls the fuel from the tank and pressurizes the fuel to 7k to 28k psi ( psi depends on year ) and sends it to the injectors

sent using Tapatalk

mzcummins

It's mounted on the front of the engine, you should be able to see fuel lines from fuel filter to the cp3 and then to the injector rails

sent using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Re: SOLVED 2008 Diesel 2500 HD starting problem

Thanks all! Pulled the air intake to get a better look and found the bleed screw. Opened it up and got about a push and a half before any fuel came out. This is my third truck and on all three I think I have changed the fuel filter and never had this happen before.

I also now know what a CP3 is!

Just to get this problem looked at would have cost the 3 year membership.....so I have recouped my cost.

Thanks again all!

Lynn1130

I am not sure what the "canister" is as I am not aware of anything like that around the filter.

If you have the Nicktane, you have eliminated the WIF leak issue. My grandson was having the same problem with his 02 and I kept telling him to change out the plastic bleeder screw and put in an aluminum screw. Of course grandpa knows nothing so he continued to get stuck on the road with a dead truck until I bought him the screw and he replaced his. No problem since. Check the screw, thoroughly and since they do crack, I would replace if it were me. Short of that replace the O-ring on it. The other issue that comes with changing filters with the Nicktane is that the large O-ring at the top of the filter can drop out during the change. Most likely you would have a large amount of fuel leaking if this were the case.

Check the fuel lines coming into and going out of the filter. They do get brittle over time and can leak. Again, if you ran close to empty with the new filter on, change it again. Additionally, when you made the switch over to the Nicktane adapter did you remove the ball and spring from the filter connection head? If not it will cause low fuel pressure and stalls.

The Duramax does not like air in the fuel system if it is stock (only the CP3). It will die or not start without a prime. Air and dirt are death for injectors. Good filtration of fuel and a lift pump help with those.

Garypowell

Lynn. Thanks for the additional help. I only loosened the screw but it "felt" funny. I guess I could remove it and take it somewhere to get aluminum bolt but without it you got one.

So if I go to a parts store will they know what I am talking about? Where did you get yours?

when I changed over to the Nicktane I did not replace the bleeder I ring but still have it.

Thanks again!

Lynn1130

I think I ordered the screws from Nicktane but will have to check for the receipt. Several of the Diesel places sell them, Kennedy, Nicktane and possibly Performance but I can check.

The Nicktane adapter screws into the stock filter head. In that filter head are a number of O-rings that there is a replacement kit for and when you add the adapter there are instructions to removed the ball and spring that are in the head as they cause a problem with the adapter and Cat filters. The instructions are posted on Nicktanes site if you need to look at that. There are some YouTube videos on that process also.

I cannot find the receipt but recall now that I may have bought them off of Ebay. The anodized green is what I have.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...+fuel+filter+bleeder+screw&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Sandpirate69

Have you ever rebuilt your filter head? If you I stalled the Nicktane, you should have replaced all O-rings on that bad boy. The bleeder screw, as many have mentioned should have been replaced with an aluminum one & new O-ring. If you are having to prime it, it is sucking air. I rebuilt the filter head and truck ran great. Finally, I installed an Airdog 165 Liftpump and the world woke up. My dually is modded so a liftpump was needed. But your issue is going to most likely be the filter head needs a rebuild.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I think by rebuild you mean new O-rings. There is not much to rebuild other than replacing the mentioned O-rings but they do go bad after awhile.

Sandpirate69

I think by rebuild you mean new O-rings. There is not much to rebuild other than replacing the mentioned O-rings but they do go bad after awhile.

You are absolutely correct. Those O-rings stretch out a bit and let air get into the system. Diesel motors do not like air, they like plenty of fuel and high burning turbo. But, yes there are no other parts in there other than those O-rings.

Garypowell

When I installed the Nicktane it was just before another trip. I found it fairly difficult to do. The principle is easy but getting "in there" was not easy for me. I did remove the spring and check valve but did not put the new o rings in pump or bleed screw.

I think ink my problem is solved for now but I am going to get a metal bleed screw.

Thanks again all!

Sandpirate69

Lynn1130
If you were in Florida I would help you to rebuils it. Its fairly simple. Unfortunately I dont know where you reside and im in Spain right now. I would look on line and purchase one from ATP Trucks or Alligator Performance. They are billet alluminum and come with the O-ring. But if you plan on keeping your truck, I would replace all the O-rings on the filter head. Infact youtube it, you will find several videos on how to do it. You will save yourself a headache down the road.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

RichPal

I own a 2009 2500 and had the same problem. The fix was 1) the batteries were not supplying sufficient power to the PCM for start. 2) The PCM was reflashed which fixed the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

SandPirates I think you have me confused with GaryPowell who was having problems. Mine is working fine. Please see my signature. I have the Nicktane and have had for several years now. The only rebuilding necessary (most times) in a filter head other than removing the spring and ball for the Nicktane, is replacement of the O-rings and a kit with better quality rings can be purchased from Nicktane as well as some others. I have "rebuilt" two so have some experience with this but thanks for the offer. Arizona might be a bit too far anyway :)