2011 Cyclone 3950 Hydraulic Landing Gear

We just recently became part of the toy hauler family. This weekend was our first trip out with the new trailer for us, and has not been very fun. Our hydraulic went down ok and then we tried to get it off the truck it stopped working. Now our truck and trailer are connected with the landing gear down. I am not sure what to do in order to just get the landing gear up and pull it to the dealer to replace. I found several things in the book and on the various web pages to try. I have found a white switch near a motor on the left side. Tried up and down with that and nothing. Replaced the 10amp fuse with three new ones and nothing. Looked in the bedroom closet for another fuse box and nothing. We had an rv repair guy come out and he took the switch off and said it was ok. I am going to go buy a new one (switch) in the morning to see if that helps. Is there anything else I can do to try and get the landing gear up and back on the truck completely? I know there has to be a manual way, but the book does not tell you where to look and this is becoming frustrating. We bought this used and have found many issues. The TV's to not work, but the plugs work, the microwave doesn't work, but the plug works. On a positive note, I learned I can replace two toilets in 30 minutes.

danemayer

Hi Ksather222,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Sorry you're having problems. People sell their trailers for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes they sell them in good condition; sometimes not.

The hydraulic pump is powered primarily from the battery through a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker. Some power gets to the pump if plugged into shore power, and some if hooked up to the truck, but it's typically a 50 amp circuit and needs a battery that's in good condition.

Your rig probably has a battery cutoff switch near the battery. Make sure it's ON.

You also have a manual reset 12V mini-circuit breaker that connects the Power Converter to the battery so that the battery gets charged when on shore power. If that breaker has tripped, the battery will run down and nothing will work. The high amperage things like the hydraulic pump fail first.

Don't overlook the possibility of a battery that is worn out. If this is the original battery, it's probably at end of life. You can get it tested at most auto parts stores.

I've attached some pictures showing the buss bar with 12V breakers, usually located close to the battery. Check for one with a teeny tiny reset button. That's the one that connects the battery and Power Converter. The other one with a heavy wire goes to the hydraulic pump. You should see 12+ volts on that wire

Also, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It may help you figure out what's going on.

We also have a copy of the Lippert document that shows the manual procedure to operate the landing gear using a drill with a hex bit. You'll also need an allen wrench to operate the control valve manually. Here's link. It's the 14th document in the folder.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 31
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 24
Thank You so much for this information. I have searched hi/low looking for anything to help me figure this stuff out. The thing with the little red covers scared me a little because they had the high voltage wires on them and the last thing I needed was to be zapped with six kids around me. I will have to try and search again for this little red button. I found the big round knob and turned it to off and back to on. I appreciate all your help!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The red covered circuit breakers are 12V....not 120V. The button is a tiny black button on the bottom of the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker maybe weak and needs to be replaced. Probably $12 at any auto parts store. Just as a side note.....a 2011 coach could have been built and purchased in 2010. So it's possible that it is 5 years old and "rode hard and put away wet" before you bought it.

Let me suggest that before you spend lots of money on repairs....come here first and ask the question's. Ya never know what you can find out here.

Last edited:
attachment.php

This is is what in seeing. I looked and felt for this button from the documents and did not see or feel anything. I even put my reading glasses on just in case. There is a white switch just above this and it hasn't done anything. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 181

danemayer

The right-most breaker in your photo is the one that connects the battery to the Power Converter. It normally (but not always) has the teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom edge. You may have to reach behind the wire to get to it.

The thick wire 2nd from the right should be the one for the hydraulic pump. There should be 12V DC on that wire.

Bob&Patty

There has to be more circuit breakers than just that one with the red cover. The one almost in the center of the pix looks like circuit breakers also but the red cover is missing. The one you are looking for could be in that row of breakers. Get a 12V test light and check all of them to see if you 12V power on both sides (top and bottom posts) on each one.

danemayer

The 3rd wire in is black and white. I was asking if I should move that to the one you said should have a 12v wire?

I don't think there's any reason to relocate any wires. You might have to reach your finger behind the right-most wire to press the reset button.

I re-read your original post. The TV and other appliances that don't work, while their outlets do have power may have been damaged by some electrical event - like plugging into a 220V outlet not intended for RVs. There could be other causes. You may want to have a licensed electrician check out the entire electrical system.

And btw, I hope you didn't pay that RV tech for telling you the switch was ok, but not diagnosing what was wrong. He doesn't sound like a very good technician.

2TrakR

Wow, another 3950 owner, those are pretty rare.

2nd from right on the bus is the hydraulic motor power for slides and landing gear. I presume your slides are not going in/out, just as your landing gear is not? Same motor on ours (and yours, I suspect they are identical).

If the battery is dead/junk, the slides/jacks won't work, even with the truck connected. You need substantial power from the battery to make those work. With the other broken items, you may also need a new battery. You can tell by hooking up a booster or another vehicle with jumper cables to your battery and seeing if things are good/bad.

Another temp emergency fix would be to manually jumper from the positive battery post to the positive lead for the hydraulic motor (2nd from right, thicker red wire on the bus bar).

Easier to get the voltmeter and ensure you have 12V at that same wire. That will tell you if the breaker is at issue.

I recently replaced the breaker for our motor, it would stop every x seconds when running the slides/landing gear. Ours would still reset to [on] after waiting a few seconds. Yours may have completely given up.

PS - get up on the roof and check your skylight over the shower, it's probably cracked and needing replacement.

Bob&Patty

If you have 120V to the plugs for the TV's and microwave. They are probably bad/kaput. Make your dealer replace them. Did you do any kind of a PDI (pre delivery inspection) on the unit when you bought it??

BTW, all the circuit breakers should be hot (12V) all the time unless the battery is dead or disconnected. Did you check to see if you have voltage (12V) on both sides of each circuit breaker yet. That's where you have to start...otherwise you are just spinning your wheels. Everything starts at the battery and circuit breakers for everything that is 12V operated. Its like a car or truck. Are your battery cables clean and tight? The big white wire (ground) goes the grounding buse bar on the left side of your pix. Is it clean and tight?

I have done the list. Bought a new battery, took all the writes off and looked for the tiny button, replaced the fuse and nothing. I'm going to try the manuel version next and try and haul it in

attachment.php
It's a 10 I called explore USA this morning and they said there is supposed to be a box with the reset above or behind the battery. I looked and no box. I had a pull behind before this on and never had these issues. I appreciate all the help your trying to give me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 124

Bob&Patty

OK, was that fuse blown?? Take it with you and install a inline circuit breaker. It looks like the fuse only its aluminum and will plug right into the inline fuse holder. Holding the landing gear button toooo long will blow that fuse every time.

I went to camping world and they told me the 2011 cyclone and each of those things with the wires is called an auto reset switch. I stopped at pep boys and they had no idea. What are this five things called and who else would carry them?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They are available at good RV dealers, marine dealers and good auto part stores.
As well as Ebay.

Peace
Dave