2012 Ford Super Duty F-350

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our King Ranch 2012 F350 crew cab dually. It has the 3.73 rear end 6 speed automatic. It tows our 16000 lbs Landmark without any issues. Although we have not towed in mountains with it we have been in the 'hills' of Texas which are fairly steep. This is our second King Ranch and love the leather and other King Ranch features. We traded our 2010 King Ranch for this one because we wanted the 6.7 engine versus the 6.4. This one is much stronger than the 2010.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 Long Bed with the B&W Turnover Ball w/Companion 5th wheel. It has 154,000 miles on it and my 200,000/84mo warranty runs out on Jan 28, 2013. I am looking at doing either of two things. Having some custom work done on the engine. EGR & EGR cooler block. Replace the oil cooler, maybe increase the exaust. There is a company in Houston that is called Powerstroke Magic that does a lot of custom engine work.

Or purchase a new or newer F350 or F450. I will be looking at the 2010, 2011 & 2012. Because of the time I get back to Dallas I might include th 2013..

Ohhhh can you believe it is 2013 soon. I remember I bought a great truck for my dad. 1966 F250 long bed, (didn't have short beds) camper special, manual 4 speed on the floor (you could start it in Grandma) with a 352 CU IN engine. Now they have Liters and I have no idea what that means. Oh an the 66 had what my dad called a possum belly. A lockable box on the passenger side of the bed to put your jack, and 4 way lug wrench. Cost $3000. Those were the days.

For those that have a Ford here is a link to a great Ford website that gives all the weight information for 10 years of trucks. It is updated every year and lists a number of past years. Ford Fleet towing guides

Oh what to do.

Thanks for listening.

BC

scottyb

A crew cab 4x4 DRW F350 has a 21500 5th wheel towing capacity and a F450 has 24500. If you are going to tow a 18K GVW 5th wheel in the Rockies, Cascade, Sierras, Sawtooths or any of the REAL mountain ranges, a F350 will be marginal and a F450 will be better. The 2012 Chevy or GMC 3500 HD has a 23500 5th wheel tow rating, with exhaust braking, and is the most proven engine / tranny combo on the market at this time. I am a long time Ford guy. I just purchased a F550 for our company, and it is a hoss with the 4.30 gears. It pulls a 32' gooseneck with 26000, and just makes it ride better. The other issue is that we buy Ford Motorcraft spec diesel conditioner by the case to use at every fill-up, due to the ongoing Bosch HPFP issues and Ford's reluctance to honor the warranty when they fail. At least we will have a paper trail for the fuel additive should it ever fail.

wino2

You haven't mentioned if you are purchasing a Regular Cab, Supercab or Crewcab. As your Trailer Weight will change depending on which cab configuration you buy.
F350 DRW Diesel Has axle availability of Standard 3.73 Non Limited Slip of 3.73 Limited Slip in 4X2 or 4X4. GCWR will be the same for all cab conrigurations 33,000LBS

lwmcguir

We love our King Ranch 2012 F350 crew cab dually. It has the 3.73 rear end 6 speed automatic. It tows our 16000 lbs Landmark without any issues. Although we have not towed in mountains with it we have been in the 'hills' of Texas which are fairly steep. This is our second King Ranch and love the leather and other King Ranch features. We traded our 2010 King Ranch for this one because we wanted the 6.7 engine versus the 6.4. This one is much stronger than the 2010.
We have been through the Rockies and have had no issues with 3:55 gears and using the manual transmission rarely have to use the brakes coming down. Tows better than any of our F series trucks and handles almost as good as our F550 considering the Augusta is fairly light compared to what we normally tow.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think a SWD F350 truck will pull anything that Heartland makes. Many people on here pull with a SWD. I have also seen people using a F250 to pull a landmark also. During the time I was looking at trucks, I found that the dully actually did not add that much to the pull capacity.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We pulled our Landmark with a F250 for awhile. We were seriously over on pin weight (payload). The SRW F350 has the same 10,000 lb payload as our F250 did. The F350 dually ups the payload to 13,300lbs. With a loaded truck weight of 9500lbs, that gives us a pin weight capability of 3800lbs. We're under that now so I feel a lot more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

My SRW F-350 has a GVW of 11,500. The F-350 can be ordered with a 10,000 GVW so you can get cheaper plates in some states.

rgwilliams69

If you get deep into the numbers on the F350 SRW vs DRW you will find some major differences in payload due to the rear axle config and tires. Also for 5th wheel GVWR, I believe the SRW max is around 15,500. The DRW takes you up over 21,000 pounds. Pulling a coach with a GVWR over 15,500 would put you overweight on the SRW. Likely overweight on rear axle as well.

scottyb

If you get deep into the numbers on the F350 SRW vs DRW you will find some major differences in payload due to the rear axle config and tires. Also for 5th wheel GVWR, I believe the SRW max is around 15,500. The DRW takes you up over 21,000 pounds. Pulling a coach with a GVWR over 15,500 would put you overweight on the SRW. Likely overweight on rear axle as well.

not to mention way over weight on the tires, with no redundancy in case of a blowout.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Only thing I don't like about the King Ranch today is the entire option. You don't get saddle leather anymore. The brown KR leather is the same leather found in the Lariats. Heck, you can't even get rear captain seats. Which also sucks. So I don't see the point of paying to advertise for King Ranch.

Heartland has yet to build a 5th that requires a F450. Their largest/heaviest 5th doesn't even come close to exceeding the capacity of a F350. F450 is just another option that is used to create sales for Ford in this particular industry.

Heck if you changed the rotors and pads out on the F350 to EBC brand you will have better braking then the stock F450 larger brakes. F450 only advantage is turn radius, which is not even a factor for me.

If a person believes they need the biggest and heaviest pickup to tow in the hills or mountains. Well they should probably hire somebody to tow for them. They are for one addressing the wrong component. They should consider spending that money on EOH brakes for their trailer.

My point is a 1ton (DRW or even SRW) classed pick up that is built today is the perfect TV for any and every 5th wheel under 20k GVWR. I can't even think of a 5th with a GVWR over 18k. I am sure they are out there, just can't think of them.

Edit: Correction made as I was cited by the Acronym Police.

Last edited: