2013 300C Shower Drain Access

dkelso24

I have looked and called without much help other than thats the way it was built. After realizing that the shower drain was pouring water out under the shower I looked for an access to repair the leak and found it was assembled with no useable access. The drain drops into the storage compartment after 1 45 deg. turn at the drain and a short run with another 45 deg. turn to drop out of the floor. It appears the drain is directly over an alum. brace so they cut the hole away from the drain for easier assembly. I called and the response was its just the way it was built. Really??? With all the thought that went in to building this unit wouldnt you think it should have a better way to access a servicable item like a drain seal? I was asked about access panels which there are none (thought they would know that) So the only repair is (1) to remove the shower assembly (2) Rip out the wall in the bedroom or (3) cut the floor under the shower and around the brace to access the drain. Of course cutting the floor is the only way to go incase I have this issue again. I just cant believe it was built this way on purpose. Has anyone else had a problem with this or am I the lucky one. I`ll let you know how the repair went.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are sure that the chrome drain screen just does not unscrew from the shower floor?? Maybe the screen is just loose and not sealing well.

danemayer

Maybe you should let your dealer take a look. They may be aware of something you haven't considered.

dkelso24

Are sure that the chrome drain screen just does not unscrew from the shower floor?? Maybe the screen is just loose and not sealing well.

I checked that and it was tight. Most shower drains I've worked with are sealed from the bottom. Thanks for the idea.

dkelso24

Maybe you should let your dealer take a look. They may be aware of something you haven't considered.

I spoke to a rep. at the factory and sent pictures of where the drain drops out of the floor. He said cutting a large hole under the shower would be the fix. I've looked at every option and that is the best one. It's just frustrating that it was built like this. I love the RV

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might take the drain screen out and see whats there. Is the seal even in place. We had our BH 3 years before we found that the kitchen sink drain seal was in wrong. Never leaked but was pushing the center of the sink up and would not let all the water drain out. Just a thought.

dkelso24

Well I`m learning new stuff about RV`s everyday. I contacted my local Heartland dealer about repairing the shower and a general service and roof treatment only to be told that if I didn't buy it there they didn't`want to touch it. I purchased my RV while I was working away from home and that dealer is 3 hours from my home. The dealer I contacted is 30 min. I was told that they only service units that they sell and would not let me make an appointment. I explained that I wasn`t in a hurry. I was told that even if they took it in it would get pushed back every time a past customer needed a repair. WOW why would I buy from them??? I guess this is normal for RV`s, I was a service manager for over 15 years in the automotive and ag field and I surely would have been looking for a job with that attitude. I really wanted to have my unit serviced by a Heartland dealer but it`s going to an independent who is more than happy to have the work. I wish the selling dealer would have explained this to me before I signed. Another lesson learned.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well I`m learning new stuff about RV`s everyday. I contacted my local Heartland dealer about repairing the shower and a general service and roof treatment only to be told that if I didn't buy it there they didn't`want to touch it. I purchased my RV while I was working away from home and that dealer is 3 hours from my home. The dealer I contacted is 30 min. I was told that they only service units that they sell and would not let me make an appointment. I explained that I wasn`t in a hurry. I was told that even if they took it in it would get pushed back every time a past customer needed a repair. WOW why would I buy from them??? I guess this is normal for RV`s, I was a service manager for over 15 years in the automotive and ag field and I surely would have been looking for a job with that attitude. I really wanted to have my unit serviced by a Heartland dealer but it`s going to an independent who is more than happy to have the work. I wish the selling dealer would have explained this to me before I signed. Another lesson learned.

Unfortunately, RV dealers are not franchises of the manufacturer, so they can decide what business plan to operate under. That dealer is choosing to cater to their customers. You, however, are not in a pickle. You can call Heartland and get recommendations and approval to use anyone you want, including independent repair facilities... Which means you'll probably get better service, in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk