2013 Big Country 3690SL A/C noise

MookieKat

We looked at one of these and noticed that the living room A/C was very loud!! Loud enough that I couldn't stand being in with it running constantly. It was very unnerving!!

Is this noise level normal for this model? I have not been exposed to others, (first time buyers) so I have no basis of comparison.

If we wanted to replace the A/C for a quieter model, about how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help!

danemayer

Yes, A/C units can be pretty loud. And the same air conditioners are used just about everywhere. Some of the more recent builds (not sure about 2013 BC) have shared ducting for living room and bedroom units. That allows you to run the unit farthest away from you to reduce noise levels.

MookieKat

Yes, A/C units can be pretty loud. And the same air conditioners are used just about everywhere. Some of the more recent builds (not sure about 2013 BC) have shared ducting for living room and bedroom units. That allows you to run the unit farthest away from you to reduce noise levels.

The living room A/C is ducted to the bedroom, but the bedroom is not ducted to the LR.

danemayer

We set the bedroom A/C thermostat at something like 65 and use a fan to direct colder bedroom air into the living room. That lets us run the living room thermostat at a higher setting and it produces less noise overall. Still noisy though. We spent quite a bit of time in ours in Texas, so we know all about A/C noise.

MookieKat

We set the bedroom A/C thermostat at something like 65 and use a fan to direct colder bedroom air into the living room. That lets us run the living room thermostat at a higher setting and it produces less noise overall. Still noisy though. We spent quite a bit of time in ours in Texas, so we know all about A/C noise.

Thank you!! That is a great idea!! :)

sengli

Honestly when we had our 2013 big horn, we had both bedroom, and living room AC's. When in the living room, we ran the bedroom unit. And when in the bedroom, we ran the the living room unit. It cooled the coach well enough at that point. I will admit though we did not live in our rig, and whisper quiet units they were not!

I read your posts, and I felt the two were ducted together, well enough that it cooled the coach pretty good with just the one running.

rvnutts

Hi, just saw this, i havent been on in a while. We have a 2013 BC and about to replace the main unit, it went out last fall. I sure am hoping the new unit will be quieter than the old! They don't make the exact same unit anymore so i hope we order the right replacement!

wdk450

For all of you stuck in the RV with the Air Conditioner running most of the day, this modification product may be worth installing. It is the Wacko Products (Really) RV Air Conditioner Silencer Baffle Mod Kit. It cut my AC noise about in half to a tolerable level. But it is a bit pricey - $189 plus about $30 shipping and tax.
For the product see: https://wackoproducts.com/products/

For a You Tube on install and noise reduction numbers see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFLIZLDA9U&t=78s

For a chart showing how much reduction there is from the decibels reduction quoted, see: https://www.controlnoise.com/support-tools/about-sound-waves/understanding-the-decibel/

I just installed one of these, and for my comfort, it was WELL worth the money. It's a 1 time deal, nothing to break, and even comes with an IMPROVED ELECTROSTATIC AIR FILTER.