2013 Big Horn 3260EL Livingroom leaking slider

Billskii

ceiling of slider appears to have dip - or bow and when it rains leaks into camper. Is anyone familiar with something like this - it seems to me the ceiling of slider needs to be replaced. if so, does anyone know a place that can do a job like this? I live on long island and we do not have any shops this involved for RVs. Thank you, Bill

wdk450

I immediately thought of what home repair folks do with an unlevel floor before putting down tile. They have stuff called levelling compound which fills in low spots. You could coat over that with an elastometric roof sealant like Henrys TropiCool 887 (which is on top of my slide roofs for solar heating reduction).

On Edit: The liquid levelling compound may be a good idea, but the stuff made for concrete/wood floors might not be the best for RV roofing surfaces. Maybe a thick epoxy paint would act the same as levelling compound in filling in the low spots.

You may have low spots in the slide roof due to wet wood underneath rotting out and becoming spongy. You can test this with a sharp probe into the roof, and you can reseal the probe test points with caulk. If you have a bad roof, you will want to see this video on replacing the roof wood and resealing the slide roof.

Last edited:

Billskii

this would be a lot of weight on the top of that slide ... not sure if it will address the issue of it not sealing on the top - it would make it flat but when we pushed on the slid it moved quite a bit

RoadJunkie

Without any kind of pictures, I would say that your slide ceiling is sagging. This problem is not all that uncommon. Behind the facia is a header that supports the roof/ceiling of the slide. Either the header needs to be reset or replaced. Heartland has a procedure for this, but basically you need to remove the facia, take out all the screws that attach the ceiling to the header, lift the ceiling by using a "T" bracket and jack. Then screw the ceiling back to the header and reassemble the facia. You may have to replace the header being sure to put it in with the "crown" up. Again, Heartland has this procedure and, I believe, they will send it to you.

Billskii

Without any kind of pictures, I would say that your slide ceiling is sagging. This problem is not all that uncommon. Behind the facia is a header that supports the roof/ceiling of the slide. Either the header needs to be reset or replaced. Heartland has a procedure for this, but basically you need to remove the facia, take out all the screws that attach the ceiling to the header, lift the ceiling by using a "T" bracket and jack. Then screw the ceiling back to the header and reassemble the facia. You may have to replace the header being sure to put it in with the "crown" up. Again, Heartland has this procedure and, I believe, they will send it to you.
thank you so much - I believe you nailed it :) I will try to contact Heartland to advise me of the procedure - i guess their dealers would be able to do this .. Anyway - thank you for your comments, bill