2013 Cyclone 3110 20 month review

FiremanBill

We purchased our 3110 from RV Outlet in Danville VA in Feb of 2013. We picked it out off the lot so we got an "as is" model so to speak, meaning we didn't get to order some of the things that in hindsight I would really liked to have had. But that being the case we really like what we did get. We were quite pleased with the dealer and the deal we were able to make on our new rig as well as the trade in we received on our old unit. I would highly recommend checking these guys out if you are in the mid Atlantic region.

Our unit does not have the patio option or the automatic leveling system. The two things I would like for it to have had. But the hydraulic jacks in the front are awesome, much better than our old electric crank down units. Once in a while when retracting them it will stop, I'll have to wait a few seconds and hit the switch again it's starts moving again. Would like to have that automatic system though for sure as the rear electric stabilizers are still kind of a pain.. The patio option was not as big a let down not having it as I thought it would be. I could take it or leave it at this point. It sounded cool but I have yet to say to myself, "dang I wish we had that".

I initially thought the fireplace/electric heater was silly but it has been an awesome feature to have. I think I have only fired up the furnace a couple of times and we use the camper even in the winter when family comes into town to visit. Don't use the water as it gets winterized but they do sleep in it. All future rigs we have will have this option.

The camper has performed very well for us. Just a few minor issues here and there that I was either able to fix myself with a quick call to Heartland and them shipping me a part or two. One of the drawer sliders lost an end cap and all the bearings came rolling out.

The central vac system is probably the biggest issue I have had with the camper itself. It works great, it just will not shut off when the hose is removed. I have to turn the breaker on and off to use it. Not a big deal since that is the only thing on that circuit anyway (that I know of). I will figure that out one of these days and get it fixed.

All of the other stuff from the kitchen sink to the generator have worked flawlessly. When we spent money on a new camper this is exactly what were expecting to get. Peace of mind and a nice rig to enjoy.

OK now the bad news... And the majority of the folks on this site have had the same issues... Those silly cheap *** tires they put on these rigs. Why for the love of God did they use such a cheap POS tire. Our first year was fine, no issues. Then on a trip this past spring we had our first blowout. It took the fender skirt with it as well as some wiring. Put the spare on and it blew out an hour down the road. So on the side of the road we get a tire replaced and head on home without a spare now praying we get there ok. The we go to the mountains in June and another one goes flat sitting in the campground. put the spare on and get it replaced on the way home so we have a spare. I get home and immediately check the 2 remaining blow max tires and the sidewalls are bulging and ready to go. So I now have all new tires and after much discussion with the American distributor we settled on $450 as compensation for the worst tire ever made.

So my beef, if you want to call it that, is not so much with Heartland. Well other than the fact that they use these well documented sorry tires, as it is with the tires themselves.

We love our camper and will buy another Heartland when this one reaches its end of life use.

Well as long as it doesn't have Blowmax tires on it that is.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hey Bill, I feel your pain with the vac. Ours won't shut off either. There is a small part in the canister that needs to be replaced. It's available on eBay and I need to get it. If we both get it, maybe we can have a vac repair party in Williamsburg! I'll try to find the info and post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
IMAG0374.jpg

the blue relay (boxy piece) is the culprit for most folks - part number:
SLA-24VDC-SL-A

An ebay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-SLA-24V...-/290687638888

However, before we buy, suggest we try what some other folks have reported as working. This relay is in the end of the vacumn. For many, a sharp rap with a hard object has freed up the relay and it has started working again. I may get a chance to try it this weekend if I can get time to go to the storage yard.

jeffdee

Hello Bill, same sentiments here with my 2014 3110 that I have had for 14 months. I only have had minor warranty issues which were corrected promptly by the dealer.

I share the same concern with you about the tires. I had a flat when I was bringing the 3110 home from talking delivery. The dealer reimbursed me and I purchased another brand of tire making it the spare and kept the four tires on the ground factory Towmax's. I am vigilant about keeping the tire pressure at 80 psi. I hate to replace them before they fail but don't want to have fender damage when one does fail. If I can make it through this winter I guess I will get a new set in the spring.

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip in a class C motorhome with 4 year old tires that looked like new....2 failed. I guess extended sitting kills these 10 ply tires, not just low air pressure.

Miltp920

I replaced my 2014 cyclone 10 ply tires that had less than 1000 miles on them. It is just TOO risky. Got $250 on craigslist for the junk tires, so my upgrade only cost me $500 for 12 ply Carlisle tires. 1400 worry free miles on the Carlisles. WE have to fix this Heartland FU-PA. I hear they finally got rid of Towmax. Pay now, or PAY later.

Hello Bill, same sentiments here with my 2014 3110 that I have had for 14 months. I only have had minor warranty issues which were corrected promptly by the dealer.

I share the same concern with you about the tires. I had a flat when I was bringing the 3110 home from talking delivery. The dealer reimbursed me and I purchased another brand of tire making it the spare and kept the four tires on the ground factory Towmax's. I am vigilant about keeping the tire pressure at 80 psi. I hate to replace them before they fail but don't want to have fender damage when one does fail. If I can make it through this winter I guess I will get a new set in the spring.

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip in a class C motorhome with 4 year old tires that looked like new....2 failed. I guess extended sitting kills these 10 ply tires, not just low air pressure.

FiremanBill

I made the mistake of waiting. I read and re read all the issues people were having but kept thinking to myself there had to be a reason people were having failures. Surely these tires couldn't be that bad... I am super vigilant at keeping my tires inflated right, never towing over 65mph, keeping them covered when in storage, keeping them on solid surfaces when stored, etc.

I should have listened to the masses and replaced sooner. Hard lesson learned. At least it was just one fender skirt, a side marker light and some minor wiring.

Still loving my Cyclone though. Just got back off a couple week cruise. Went up to the mountains to see a Virginia Tech game. dry camped on campus for a few days, our Son is a Cadet there. Then on to Knoxville TN for a few days, stayed at my Dad's place there. And then to Townsend TN at he base of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. What a fun trip that was.

porthole

Retired
However, before we buy, suggest we try what some other folks have reported as working. This relay is in the end of the vacumn. For many, a sharp rap with a hard object has freed up the relay and it has started working again. I may get a chance to try it this weekend if I can get time to go to the storage yard.

Since posting this 2 years ago I have not had to "re-rap" my vac :)

Yellow Jacket shut off rap

Although, no doubt I just jinxed myself.