2013 Goshen, IN - Heartland Gives Back (Babies Wrapped in Love)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Re: 2013 "Heartland Give Back" (Goshen) - Babies Wrapped in Love

Cheryl,

Nancy doesn't sew but she bought 2 baby blankets to donate, while we were in Mexico this week. Add it to the pile :)

kowAlski631

Re: Babies Wrapped in Love Blanket Drive for Goshen rally '13

I have 2 completed - one knitted & one crocheted - and plan for 1 more at least before we meet. Howver, I found out since my last post that we are expecting a great grand nephew in late May - early June, so need to get a couple of things done for this young man!

I will be making the fleece blankets again this year. Planning on making five of them.

dieselsweetheart

Thank Mrs. Truknutt!! I appreciate (and the babies will too) your donation!! How is everyone else doing?? Remember, we will accept ANY baby items...booties, hats, etc. If you are not a crafter, we would still love to have your donation of a store bought item! NOTHING will be turned away!!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

OK Cheryl, My daughter works at a assisted living so I have ask her to ask the ladies there if they will make me some blankets. I will provide the yarn if they will make the blankets so we see how many I get...

dieselsweetheart

Thanks Kathy!! Ya those little ladies just love the babies!!!

Angela, are you going to the Goshen rally? I'm not sure if there would be a group of ladies doing the tie fleece blankets downstairs at the rally....in '11 we had about 5 ladies working on their blankets then. But best to have your blankets done before you come to Goshen...something else might interest you at the rally (sightseeing for example) and your time to make blankets then may run out. Just a thought...

kowAlski631

As I knit for him, I think of how sad it is that other babies have no blankets. This is such a great idea so that everyone can contribute something. I plan to keep making at least a couple a year to donate to shelters or organizations as we travel the country. Thanks for organizing this, Cheryl!

neilandnanci

Cheryl, This is our first national rally, but I will also be making some fleece blankets. (Not sure how many yet) My sister made several last year for her church, so she explained to me how to do them. I think it will be fun.

Nanci and Neil

dieselsweetheart

Thanks Nanci and welcome to the National Rally! This will be our third time to Goshen and we've had fun each time out!

JMVford

retired Maryland Chapter Leaders

Cheryl,
This is our first National Rally. I am so excited.
I hope to have 3-4 (more if I can get them done) baby quilts for you by then. Such a worthy cause.
Jodi

dieselsweetheart

Thanks Jodi!!! Wait till you see all the ladies and their blankets!! Such a good feeling!!!

dieselsweetheart

I wanted to share this information that was submitted to RV Business in 2011 (National Rally) by Jim Beletti as part of an interview done about the goodness of the Heartland family (among other pieces of information that he submitted). It will give you a good introduction of the Babies Wrapped in Love initiative... a "giving-back" to the community of Elkhart, IN. and their most vulnerable population...infants.

Many of the states' chapters have adopted this program, "Heartland Gives Back" as part of their service to the community where they host their state rallies. It's a wonderful (awesome) way to leave our "Heartland Mark" as a way of saying "we care!" We put the heart in Heartland~

So please take a moment to read:

"This community service project was chaired by Pennsylvania Chapter Leader, Cheryl Horst. The project goal was to have Heartland owners knit, sew or crochet baby blankets, caps and booties. These hand made items would then be donated to the Elkhart County Extension of Purdue University who in turn would provide the items to organizations such as RETA (Reason Enough To Act), Elkhart County Women's Shelter, Elkhart County High School Teenage Parent programs, Alternative School and Riley Hospital for Children (Indianapolis). Cheryl's goal was 50 baby blankets. Items were brought into the History room of the Elkhart County Community Center building on Fairgrounds property Saturday morning. The ladies who made the items were able to "show and share" their hand made items with one another. This "show and share" was followed by the donation of all items to Maryanne Leinhart-Cross, Purdue Extension Educator for Consumer and Family Sciences. Both Cheryl and Maryanne was overwhelmed with the shear size of the donation and the generosity of the Heartland owners group. By the end of the program, 189 blankets, 90 hats, 15 pairs of booties and more than 200 pieces of baby food items were donated."

BWIL_01.jpg BWIL_02.jpg BWIL_03.jpgCell phone June July 2011 001.jpgCell phone June July 2011 002.jpgCell phone June July 2011 010.jpgCell phone June July 2011 011.jpgCell phone June July 2011 013.jpgCell phone June July 2011 012.jpg

Last edited:

dieselsweetheart

If you were part of the festivities in 2011 (the blanket lunch) you remember how much fun it was to see everyone and what they crafted. Ladies were swapping patterns, showing off their items, and helpers counted up the totals....when we realized we had 189 blankets...and numerous other baby hats, booties, etc... well, "amazing" doesn't seem to be a strong enough description. To set a goal for 50 blankets and to get almost 4 times that amount....almost didn't have the words for that.

Those who are new to the Heartland family (welcome!) and making Goshen 2013 your first National Rally, I ask you to take a minute to check out those photos in the previous thread. Then please consider making a baby blanket (or hats, booties, etc) donation in June.

Guaranteed, it will make you feel good to know you are giving warmth to a baby in need. (tissues please!)

Cheryl

bacaye

Re: Blankets for babes at the Gillette rally

Cheryl, Could you post a reminder as to exactly what they do with the blankets? I was asked but not positive who receives the blankets. Thanks, Barb

Last edited:

dieselsweetheart

Hi Barb...sure, just look above to post #53 and you will see that the blankets are distributed to various groups wherever they are needed. I started out wanting them to go to a womens/babies shelter, and they went farther than that too. All I ask is that they be given to someone who truly needs one...which is why I didn't just want them dropped off at local hospitals delivery wards. I want the women who have NOTHING (or very little) in which to keep their babies cozy and warm......just a piece of love from our hearts to those baby hearts!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

I agree with you Cheryl but I also think hospitals could use them too.. My grandson was born Jan 14 and had open heart surgery Jan 18 they had homemade quits and blankets on him. He just seemed so comfy wrapped up in those soft blankets.. He is fine now home with his mom. He is our little Angel and thank you to all the ladies out making these blankets with love the babies need them...

dieselsweetheart

Hi Kathy,

I know what you mean...I worked in a NICU for 25 years and we also had blankets for our babies. But usually there are "women's clubs" and the hospital auxiliary that makes those blankets for that hospital. I agree that hospitals (esp NICUs) use the blankets, but in this case, I want to reach the people who aren't being thought of....

and actually, when I talked to the director of the program, I specifically mentioned women's shelters...which she did see to they were recipients...but she also found other non-profits that were in need and benefited.

Hope that explains the choices that were made! I hope your grandson is doing well!

kowAlski631

Great choice Cheryl. My youngest grandson (now almost 9 & a pistol) was in NICU for the first 5 days of his life so I understand where Kathy & Ken are coming from. I do believe that those kids in the homeless shelters & battered women shelters are the ones who are most often forgotten. The moms & babies (in many cases) been torn away from all that would comfort them and nothing comforts a mom more than having a warm blanket made with love to wrap their baby in. Just my thoughts.

Martha

dieselsweetheart

I worked at Hershey Med Center for a period of time and those babies had tons of blankets. Some of them were soooooo nice too!! I just want to give our blankets to those who don't have anyone to help them.

Thanks ladies!! I'm going to get some work done on my blanket tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.