2013 Ram tows 30,000lbs

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I think the joke is on anyone who buys one thinking they can tow 30K with it. This leap frogging has gotten out of hand and as usual, someone always crosses the line of sanity. Looks like RAM took the GIANT LEAP.

As I mentioned somewhere earlier, my Ford Fleet guy explained the descrepencies between CC's and pickup's tow ratings, such as the F350. It is all in the programming and has nothing to do with the suspension, or structural components. I can't wait to see who if any of the Big 3 adapt the proposed SAE standards for determining tow ratings.

You should have a 30,000 lb. rated towing rig to safely pull that monster Cyclone of yours. Thats why the Ram was built.

ihsolutions

I was at the Detroit auto show yesterday and the Ram 30k towing was a big deal in their display. It had a huge crate in the bed that said "30k" on it. Huh? I thought it was about towing?

Realistically, I can't imagine any 5th wheel RV weighing in over 20k loaded for bear. So what does that leave? Maybe a gooseneck flatbed loaded up with bricks or farm implements or something? In any case, for the purposes of those on this forum any of the Big 3 duallies should prove more than adequate to pull any Heartland product.

oscar

The 2011+ Ford started at 16K bumper and then after another mid year frame change it was bumped to 17K

My 2012 Silverado 3500 DRW has the "bumper" pull rated at 18000#. Not sure I'd wan't to do that though.....

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I think the joke is on anyone who buys one thinking they can tow 30K with it. This leap frogging has gotten out of hand and as usual, someone always crosses the line of sanity. Looks like RAM took the GIANT LEAP.

Why? How do you figure they can't handle it safely? Are you just assuming because you would not feel comfortable hauling 30k behind your pickup.

Semi's standard GCWR is 80k but the same truck can be permitted to a GCWR of 120k. That is perfectly fine and safe.

Sent from my iPaddle yo Sister using HD Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Ford doesn't make a pickup version of the F550. Matter of fact ford quit making the F450 CC pickup version in 2010. The 2011+ F450 is basically a 2010 F350 Tow Boss (I think that is what that option was called on the F350, but it was the one that came with the wide front axle).

Westwind

Wonder what states will require a CDL license to use the truck and tow a trailer. The other thing is what will it cost to register, RI is based on weight - 9200 lbs is $79 a year.
Oh yea I wonder what the insurance companies will do with this one. It will be interesting. I mean is is a 1 ton truck or a Semi?

rgwilliams69

Many states, based on federal regulations, already require a Class A non-CDL license where the GCVW is greater than 26,000 pounds, AND the trailer being pulled is greater than 10,000 pounds. I know that is the case in Illinois. There is a specific non-CDL written test and driving test. I am not well versed in the actual CDL requirements, but I think one of the key differences is that the non-CDL does not require the physical/doctor exam. My F350 and Cyclone combination meets this requirements (F350 at 13,300 and Cyclone at 18,000). I'm also told this is based on the placard maximum, not actual weights. Although I know my actual weights are over 26,000 as well (F350 curb weight 9,660 ready to tow, Cyclone 17,500 loaded and ready to go, for a total of 27,160).

scottyb

Why? How do you figure they can't handle it safely? Are you just assuming because you would not feel comfortable hauling 30k behind your pickup.

Semi's standard GCWR is 80k but the same truck can be permitted to a GCWR of 120k. That is perfectly fine and safe.

Common sense tells me you can't jump 33% by beefing up the frame, and flashing the program to get the HP and torque, that's required on paper. Semis have a 80K GVW because DOT says that's the limit. The same tractor can pull 120K and more, by adding more axles and axle spacing. Their limitation is permitted weight, not torque or HP. They can pull a lot more than 120K by just adding more axles. I have 3 110K excavators that are moved every few days, and the trucks that move them have 9 axles. The tractor has 4 axles counting the balloon, lowboy has trips with a dolly. That's 32 tires on the ground.

scottyb

Wonder what states will require a CDL license to use the truck and tow a trailer. The other thing is what will it cost to register, RI is based on weight - 9200 lbs is $79 a year.
Oh yea I wonder what the insurance companies will do with this one. It will be interesting. I mean is is a 1 ton truck or a Semi?

Texas has the same requirements as what RGWilliams stated for IL. RV's for personal use are exempt from CDL requirements, but they are not exempt from advance levels of licensing based on weights. Found this out after purchasing my rig.

porthole

Retired
My 2012 Silverado 3500 DRW has the "bumper" pull rated at 18000#. Not sure I'd wan't to do that though.....

"Bumper pull" is a left over term.
18K is a frame mounted, 2.5" receiver using a weight distributing hitch.

Without the WD it is 12K

Last edited:

BarneyFife

I know it has 850 ft/lb of torque. But what's the HP?

Let's face it. Its all a numbers game between the big 3. I've seen various articles about this truck and it looks very promising. But I wonder if they're touting the torque and not really mentioning the HP because it still comes in last and will probably still come in last in all those magazine shootouts?

Just curious. Not bashing. If anything happened to my 450, I'd certainly go take a good look at the Ram. But why no bragging on the HP numbers?

Tool958

I know it has 850 ft/lb of torque. But what's the HP?

Let's face it. Its all a numbers game between the big 3. I've seen various articles about this truck and it looks very promising. But I wonder if they're touting the torque and not really mentioning the HP because it still comes in last and will probably still come in last in all those magazine shootouts?

Just curious. Not bashing. If anything happened to my 450, I'd certainly go take a good look at the Ram. But why no bragging on the HP numbers?

It shows on the Ram site that it is 385 HP along with the 850 LB-FT. of torque.

BarneyFife

It shows on the Ram site that it is 385 HP along with the 850 LB-FT. of torque.

Thanks. It all makes sense now. Many people will see 385hp is the lowest of the three therefore bragging rights will go elsewhere. Doesn't matter who pulls the best. For far too many, its just "trash talking".

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Common sense tells me you can't jump 33% by beefing up the frame, and flashing the program to get the HP and torque, that's required on paper. Semis have a 80K GVW because DOT says that's the limit. The same tractor can pull 120K and more, by adding more axles and axle spacing. Their limitation is permitted weight, not torque or HP. They can pull a lot more than 120K by just adding more axles. I have 3 110K excavators that are moved every few days, and the trucks that move them have 9 axles. The tractor has 4 axles counting the balloon, lowboy has trips with a dolly. That's 32 tires on the ground.

Maybe they have been extremely under rated for the past years? Now people have developed an belief of what is practical and what is not.

Numbers like this they are going to have to start running 17.5's or 19.5's on these pickups.

Not saying you are right or wrong. But a company will not advertise or sell a product that will blatantly put your life at risk while living in a sue happy world.

The real people to benefit from this is guys running Hotshots. Farmers and Ranchers have been exceeding 30klbs for years legally so there really isn't any benefit for them.
Other then that numbers sell.

Sent from my iPad HD 3 Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Thanks. It all makes sense now. Many people will see 385hp is the lowest of the three therefore bragging rights will go elsewhere. Doesn't matter who pulls the best. For far too many, its just "trash talking".

Lower HP and Higher torque is what you want. This means your torque will come in at a lower rpm. So if a person thinks higher HP and less torque is better then they are a idiot.

HP is irrelevant in a diesel. Torque is what moves your load.

Carol Shelby said it the best, HP sells and Torque when's the races.

scottyb

Maybe they have been extremely under rated for the past years? Now people have developed an belief of what is practical and what is not.

Numbers like this they are going to have to start running 17.5's or 19.5's on these pickups.

Not saying you are right or wrong. But a company will not advertise or sell a product that will blatantly put your life at risk while living in a sue happy world.

Maybe you are right and maybe they all have been holding back some. I know the same 6.7L engine in the chassis/cabs only spec at 300HP and 660 ft/lbs. Our F550 has 19.5" wheels, and the ride is a world of difference from the F350/450 pickups. The extra bulk and much heavier suspension is obvious, and I can barely stand to drive it w/o 4-5K loaded on it. Then it drives like a dream. Yet it only has a tow rating of 25,500, presumably due to the lack of tuning.

P.S. It has a 19K GVWR

Last edited:

oscar

"Bumper pull" is a left over term.
18K is a frame mounted, 2.5" receiver using a weight distributing hitch.

Without the WD it is 12K

Well, I'm a bit of a leftover myself......;)

As far as the CDL discussion is concerned..... PA requires a non commercial class A when it all goes above 26000# and the trailer is above 10000# and yes, those are the Gross ratings, not the actual weights.

So I went and got a CDL this summer. Truck driving school evaluated me, and said they'd give me 18 hours of driving instruction, and included a test at the end. On site examiners, in fact the examiner was the same guy I did the instruction with. All pretty low key, $1800.- Just the CDL, no diploma. They called it the "corporate program". It gives Barney Fife one less reason to give me grief.

rgwilliams69

It gives Barney Fife one less reason to give me grief.

I'm sure Barney will find other ways to mess with you! :) In Illinois for the non-CDL Class A is it a different written and driving test, focused mainly on RV, Fire, Farm, etc. and not requiring you to go through the full CDL school and associated endorsements (air brakes, etc.). Driving test is different also - just making sure you can turn a corner and not run over the curb/stop light/car next to you in the process. I would hate to have to spend $1800 to get one, wow! But at least now if you want to get a part-time job driving you are good to go.

BarneyFife

That cuts deep. :)

Honestly, nobody could care less than I do when it comes to licenses and the weight police. Its none of my business and far too many folks go waaaaay overboard on what they say we should be using to haul our campers.

Here in NC, laws for RVers are pretty darn lax. No CDL and I have never seen or even heard of an RVer being checked for weights, licenses, or anything else. Just don't do more than 8mph over the speed limit and keep it straight and you won't get a second look from our troopers.