2014 Dicor Roof possible replacement

lynndiwagoner

OK, I determined my roof was a Dicor Epdm roof. I am having some problems with the roof being gummy and soft in certain areas. Called Dicor and he advised that in 2013/14 the supplier of the product, Carlisle, had some problems with the adhesive used and it caused the roof to have bubbles and gummy areas, just like mine. To their credit, Dicor is going to stand behind their warranty. I was told that the roof is made up of a black rubber membrane and the beige covering is just for aesthetics and does not affect the waterproofing of it. My roof is not leaking but I can see the black membrane under the area that was smearing when I squatted down to do some work on the antenna. I was told that the Epdm rubber roof coating material you can find in the cans will not help my problem.

Here is the dilemma, I can get a pretty good one time settlement for the roof or they will send me the materials and install kit plus some additional money to get the entire thing replaced. The additional money for installation is about half of what I can get someone to replace the roof, and it's not cheap. I was told by Dicor that the bubbling and smearing would not affect the 12 year warranty or the waterproofing of the current roof.

Question, has anyone used the material made for coating Epdm roofs over bubbling and smearing?

I hate to tear off the entire roof and risk a bad reinstallation job for the smearing.

Attachments

• 20190331_142721.jpg
    20190331_142721.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 57

rdufek

I had a friend go through the same thing. He took the settlement which does not affect the 12 year warranty. My question is why wouldn't you just take the settlement and leave the roof alone as Dicor will still standby the warranty. I definitely would not be tearing up the roof as it will never be installed to how it was done in the factory. No one will see the roof and your warranty will stand.

Bones

I think it is hard to believe that once they give you the settlement that they will still fully warranty the roof. I would think in the companies eyes the roof has been replaced and would not cover anything further. Is that in writing from a qualified person making that statement. If you get the roof materials and store them you would have a complete roof replacement if necessary later down the line.

rdufek

Dave, it's compensation for the paint failing and not having the roof replaced and maintaining the original warranty. OR they will send the material and some money to have the roof replaced.

Bones

Dave, it's compensation for the paint failing and not having the roof replaced and maintaining the original warranty. OR they will send the material and some money to have the roof replaced.
Ok thanks. So I would assume they will replace the roof if it completely fails within the warranty period?

lynndiwagoner

I think the warranty is prorated on time. I'll have to ask. The stuff that got gummy seems to be more than paint. I don't think they would send the materials without directly paying an installer because the amount of money that comes with the materials is more than the settlement amount.

Has anyone used an Epdm material like Pro Flex over this situation?

travlingman

I went with the roof replacement. When I had mine done, Dicor paid for everything. That policy has since changed.

Something to think about on the taping of bad area. What if the area you tape to turns bad? Will the tape stay in place when there is nothing under it to hold it on?