2014 Rw 425 Furnace made single pop sound then I smelled propane exhaust.

We been using our furnace for two months now and this morning there was a loud pop and then I smelled that tangy propane exhaust smell. I turned it off. Turned it back on everything lights and blows but now I get that smell. It off for now any suggestions. Thanks

danemayer

Hi Twistedwest,

Sounds like you may have a problem with the propane/air mixture. Check the vents on the outside cover of the furnace to make sure there are no obstructions. Also check for soot buildup around the vents.

Also, try out your range burners - checking for normal color.

Had a chance to pull housing and found the squirrel cage blew apart. The blades blew into the heat chamber and we're making the smell. Anyone replaced this with a metal cage yet.

danemayer

Had a chance to pull housing and found the squirrel cage blew apart. The blades blew into the heat chamber and we're making the smell. Anyone replaced this with a metal cage yet.
If the blower came apart, then the sail switch shouldn't have closed and the furnace shouldn't have ignited after that. And I don't see how you could have been getting hot air out the vents.

I don't doubt that it came apart. I just don't understand how your finding lines up with the original problem description.

If the blower came apart, then the sail switch shouldn't have closed and the furnace shouldn't have ignited after that. And I don't see how you could have been getting hot air out the vents.

I don't doubt that it came apart. I just don't understand how your finding lines up with the original problem description.
Only half of the cage blew apart the half that is near the sail switch is still intact. I was indeed getting hot air out of the vent, however significantly less. The smell that i believed to be and exhaust smell was the plastic blades. I was able to get some of the broken ones out and the smell was indeed coming from them. This all happened at 3 in the moring so i was unable to do any real inspection till this morning. So my original post was somewhat of an open question.