2014 Sundance 3600 QB Questions?? New to campers!!!

Schmidty

My wife grew up camping, and I grew up on a dairy farm. Needless to say, my family didn't camp. I know very little about campers, so I'm looking for advice. I have the opportunity to buy a 2014 hold over Sundance 3600 QB for $**,***. The same dealer also has a 2014 hold over Jayco 34.5 BHTS for $**.***. I was told Jayco builds a very high quality camper (some say the best built). What can you tell me about the Sundance 3600? Build, fit, finish, longevity, floor strength, and how it pulls? Are there any big cons to the Sundance? With that said any knowledge on the Jayco would also be appreciated. I know this is a Heartland forum, and this is the first camper forum I joined, so I know a certain bias exists. With that said, I know forum members should have some real world knowledge on both campers mentioned.

Thanks

By the way, I will be towing with a 2014 2500 dodge mega cab diesel.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi Schmidty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We do not edit the forum post, except for sometimes repeated post or legalize, or vulgar post. So you will see both the good and the bad here on the forum. We have a good group of owners and really good communication and participation with the factory here also.

I'm sure some of our members will jump in soon with some opinions and info for you.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you at a rally.

Jim M

I did erase the prices as we do not allow discussion of pricing on the forum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I all boils down to what you like.
Have you really done your homework on the two brands? The Jayco is limited to dealer stock only which means it is a discontinued model.
The interior bedroom height is 73" in the Jayco. Sundance is 76". Both are considered mid profile and if you are a taller person it may come into play.
Both are built at a certain price point so they will be similarly appointed.
I can't speak for Jayco but I know that we have the best user forum as well as factory support.
GVWR of the Jayco is 12,995 and the Sundance is 13,850.
Sundance is about 3 feet longer.
Good luck and hope that you will be back to tell us about your new Sundance.

Peace
Dave

iawoody2

We had a Jayco, forget the model, but was about the same lenght as our Sundance. The Jayco, as Cookie said, had a lower gvw but the balance was terrible. The pin weight was about 31% of the trailer weight. After 2 months we traded for our Sundance and haven't been happier. We have about 21% pin weight now. Like most we had a few minor issues, mostly cosmetic that the dealer took care of. What really sold us was our king size bed and theater seating across from the 42in flat screen. If you get it and it has Towmax tires I would highly recommend you change them out, they have a terrible reputation for blowing up.
One last note, this forum is very friendly and helpful on answering questions. Heartland is great to deal with. And going to a rally is a great way to meet like minded people.
Good luck with your decision, hopefully join us.

Bogie

I don't have any first hand knowledge about Jayco, but I do have a relative who has one that is a few years old and has made some negative comments to me about it. However, when I was looking to buy my 5er, I bought a 2012 RV Buying Guide in an attempt to get as much info as possible. In this publication, Jayco had fairly good ratings, but Heartland was a consistently a bit higher. Beyond that, all I can tell you is that I love my Sundance! I have had it two years now and have had no major problems. Good luck in your search.

Tundra2084

No info to add about Jayco, but we had a palomino brand fiver before our Sundance and love our Sundance. Like others we had a few issue's but our dealer took care of them very quickly. The extra length that we gained in our Sundance is more than we imagined in living space. The quality of the interior is hands down a lot better. The people here on the forum are great for support and advice before and after the purchase.
The rallies are another benefit of owning a Heartland product because, where else are you going to meet some of the reps on equal terms, as they are also out there camping like the rest of us, but are willing to help out if needed with information or in some cases repairs to your rig IF you attend the national rally and sometimes your regional rally.

Remember that no matter what brand you purchase more than likely you will find a few quirky things that you don't like but can live with or can change to suit your needs better. Always carry a small toolbox for the little things you can fix if needed and above all ENJOY your unit and the adventures in it. We will be keeping our Sundance for a few more years but so far our next unit will be another Heartland product.