2015 Cyclone 4200

Not 9 gallons/hr. .9 or 9/10th. The Onan 5500 generators use a little less or more than 1 gallon per hour depending on fuel type and load.
Ok so for what I was running seems like I was right at 1 gal an hour. Not to bad..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Also I noticed that after the generator ran for about 12 hours it needed a reset or be turned off for an hour or so, cause the ac's would just randomly turn off. But everything else would work fine. Not sure if it just got over loaded and kicked ac's off or what. But if I changed the switch that controls which ac's are running sometimes they would come right back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Also I noticed that after the generator ran for about 12 hours it needed a reset or be turned off for an hour or so, cause the ac's would just randomly turn off. But everything else would work fine. Not sure if it just got over loaded and kicked ac's off or what. But if I changed the switch that controls which ac's are running sometimes they would come right back on.

You might have something else going on with the Air Conditioners.

The generator power goes through your automatic transfer switch. If the voltage on L1 drops below 105V, the contactors will open and you'll temporarily lose power to everything.

I suppose you could have some voltage drop on L2 that affects the A/C units, but I'd be surprised if both units are on L2.

And if voltage was above 105V, the A/C units should be ok. If the voltage dropped and they drew too many amps, you'd trip a breaker in the main panel inside.

You might have something else going on with the Air Conditioners.

The generator power goes through your automatic transfer switch. If the voltage on L1 drops below 105V, the contactors will open and you'll temporarily lose power to everything.

I suppose you could have some voltage drop on L2 that affects the A/C units, but I'd be surprised if both units are on L2.

And if voltage was above 105V, the A/C units should be ok. If the voltage dropped and they drew too many amps, you'd trip a breaker in the main panel inside.
Hmm ok, that's weird that it didn't trip a breaker. Also weird that it runs perfect except for every 12 hours or so it would need a "reset" best way to describe it. Anyone know what positions the switch need to be in for what combinations of ac's to be running? Its 1 switch that has 3 positions for 3 diff combos.

OEFVET

Heartland changed the switch configuration several times. Mine was configured for the up position to turn the kitchen and bedroom ACs. Middle position shut them all off. Lower position turned kitchen and garage AC on.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Heartland changed the switch configuration several times. Mine was configured for the up position to turn the kitchen and bedroom ACs. Middle position shut them all off. Lower position turned kitchen and garage AC on.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Hmm ok, I'll prob get out there this evening and fire up Gen and check it out and play with it. I picked it up sat morning and camped all weekend now brought it back to my apt complex. Hope they don't complain haha. Still trying to find a good storage place near by.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

I do know for sure that all 3 positions do something. I have to turn thermostat off if I don't want an ac to run

avvidclif

Mine in the past was setup for UP Main & BR. Down Garage and BR. I said was because the switch is gone. Now I can choose what I want. The BR and Main are on different legs so I can run both at the same time. In case you are wondering why I don't have a "living area". From the kitchen back to the ramp door is all open and the garage and main are abt 5' apart but the garage isn't ducted.

Mine in the past was setup for UP Main & BR. Down Garage and BR. I said was because the switch is gone. Now I can choose what I want. The BR and Main are on different legs so I can run both at the same time. In case you are wondering why I don't have a "living area". From the kitchen back to the ramp door is all open and the garage and main are abt 5' apart but the garage isn't ducted.
Oh ok. Well apartment flipped out on me. So found a rv storage spot that another guy has that's not using it for a month or two so I can use it at a cheaper rate. Can't wait to get out of the apartment. I'll post back on here in couple hours on what I figure out on switch.

IronJ

I get about same on my gen with 2 ac and all tv running...

As for switch mine was set up for

Down - garage /living
Middle all off
Up garage /bedroom

I've had my gen kick off the breaker when it's 100+ out with 2 ac running ....but never ...drop out like you said...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

I get about same on my gen with 2 ac and all tv running...

As for switch mine was set up for

Down - garage /living
Middle all off
Up garage /bedroom

I've had my gen kick off the breaker when it's 100+ out with 2 ac running ....but never ...drop out like you said...

Yea, mine seems to be backwards on switches. Wish there was a temp switch for gen. Seems like mine runs really hot. I have been leaving main door for gen open and cover off on side of genthat exposes the engine.

IronJ

You can't leave the side cover off...it will over heat for sure...the fan on bottom will not be able to pull air through

You can't leave the side cover off...it will over heat for sure...the fan on bottom will not be able to pull air through

Ok whoops I didn't know that. Glad I said something. So leave side gen cover on. What about main door for gen/battery area?

IronJ

I don't see how having Bay door open could hurt...

The air intake for the gen is on the bottom...the cooling design pulls cool air in , circulates it inside case and then back out an exhaust vent in the bottom..

Having the bay door open , not in direct sunlight MAY help dissapate heat...but I don't think the bay is insulated enough to hold much in to begin with...

I don't see how having Bay door open could hurt...

The air intake for the gen is on the bottom...the cooling design pulls cool air in , circulates it inside case and then back out an exhaust vent in the bottom..

Having the bay door open , not in direct sunlight MAY help dissapate heat...but I don't think the bay is insulated enough to hold much in to begin with...

Ok cool, so is it normal that you cant even touch the top of gen housing cause it's so hot?

IronJ

Can't say I ever tried to touch the thing...the heat I could feel coming off 1 ft away was plenty hot...

The side cover is insulated fiberglass or something....so it don't get too hot

IronJ

Ok cool, so is it normal that you cant even touch the top of gen housing cause it's so hot?

update for you..

had my rig out today so I grabbed some reading from my temp gun

2ac running and the fridge and a couple tv.....ambient temp 100 in direct sun

under genny on plate near intake....188 degrees
front cover of genny .... 122 degrees
top of genny .... 199 degrees
inside font cover(highest reading ) ....210 degrees...

so yeah....pretty warm Id say...

guess you could give yours a check and see how they compare...

J

update for you..

had my rig out today so I grabbed some reading from my temp gun

2ac running and the fridge and a couple tv.....ambient temp 100 in direct sun

under genny on plate near intake....188 degrees
front cover of genny .... 122 degrees
top of genny .... 199 degrees
inside font cover(highest reading ) ....210 degrees...

so yeah....pretty warm Id say...

guess you could give yours a check and see how they compare...

J
Oh wow that is warm, thank you. I will go get a temp gun and see what I come up with next time I go to the trailer.she's in storage.

oscar

Congratulations on your new unit, enjoy.

Biggest lessons I learned:

1 Weigh it. Put all the beer, beans and bedding on and weigh it. You'll be surprised. Sounds like you have enough truck, but the CCC on a well equipped unit is a lot less thank you think. I use a little flow gauge (under $10 on Amazon) to put a known quantity in the water tank. 100 gallons of water is 800 pounds. Tow with holding tanks as empty as possible.
2 The tires...... you know what to do. Get a TPMS.
3 Keeping the water out. On a lot of wall penetrations the ONLY thing keeping the water out (and thus the rot) is a little bead of caulking along the edges of the hatches etc. Watch it like a hawk. If there's any decay, remove hatch and reinstall with proper waterproofing. Check the roof, regularly. (Factory says every 90 days)
4 Run your generator, regularly, under load. At least once a month.
4 Check the seals on the wall where the slides meet the wall. They are rubbers in a track and can come out. (mine have). The top one is the only thing keeping water off the top of the box, which is inside when in storage. Resist the temptation to put any kind of treatment on them that makes them ever so slightly sticky. Most products do.
5 ALWAYS put stabilizer in the gas tank.
6 Know how to winterize it in the summer. That way it's a lot faster and easier when the weather gets nasty!

All I can think of for now......:cool:

avvidclif

Oh wow that is warm, thank you. I will go get a temp gun and see what I come up with next time I go to the trailer.she's in storage.

I checked mine last weekend. With 2 AC's and fridge the front cover was 110 and the top was 150. That is the generator covers. Outside temp was ~95 w 60% humidity.