2015 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
They did this in 07 I believe ? There was a good turn out and a lot of folks watched.

Chippendale

I am so bad at backing, if there were a lot of people watching, I would probably get so nervous I would jack knife the trailer and bust out the rear window of the truck.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am so bad at backing, if there were a lot of people watching, I would probably get so nervous I would jack knife the trailer and bust out the rear window of the truck.

Thats alright, since I bet there would be 12 guys at least there to help you put a new window in!

jbeletti

Re: 2015 Goshen Rally - Tour Tickets Still Available

Hi all - there are no RV driving/backing courses planned for this year. Sorry.

jbeletti

RVLock and Blue Streak Rally Specials are now online

For anyone interested, this afternoon, we put up Goshen Rally Specials from Blue Streak and RVLock. See all Rally Specials in this article on the Rally Portal.

And for those that can't make Goshen, you too can take advantage of most of these specials. The specials begin May 1 (June 1 in the case of Blue Streak) and run through June 30.

brianlajoie

Jim, I know what I've signed for and what specials are being offered. Am I missing anything else? Brian

Chippendale

Been there, done that, George! Cost us about $400! We would LOVE to attend something like this!

Pat, I will be sitting in the stands with you watching. I have already exploded one rear window and I don't know what was the loudest, the window breaking or my cussing. I think busting out a rear window is one of those, not "if" things, but a "when" thing and I have experienced mine. Am much more careful now.

jbeletti

Jim, I know what I've signed for and what specials are being offered. Am I missing anything else? Brian

Did you sign up for Minor Service work? Carpet Cleaning? Soon to be posted - RV/Truck washing and Waxing.... RV Weighing?

porthole

Retired

Maybe we could find a mid-length 5th wheel, like a Bighorn 3400RE, that everyone could use for practice. :rolleyes:

Seriously Bob, you have a good idea. The obvious problem is how to get the truck and trailer.

Go big or go home :rolleyes:

I have an idea - when the factory brings the Cyclone parts trailer over - there you go.

Trailer already has a couple of bumps and bruises, it's big and will have a truck attached when it gets there.

What better way to tout the 88 degree turn then with a big rig to practice in.

jbeletti

2015 Goshen Rally - Truck/RV Wash and Wax Service

AALL Brite will be back with us to wash or wash/wax your truck and/or RV.

Learn more in this Rally Portal article. Download their flyer there and follow the link there to sign-up for Wash/Wax services.

Last edited:

jbeletti

The MORryde specials are now online. Their special is linked in the Rally Specials article on the Rally Portal here.

brianlajoie

Did you sign up for Minor Service work? Carpet Cleaning? Soon to be posted - RV/Truck washing and Waxing.... RV Weighing?

How do I find out about these services? I want to weigh the RV. What minor service work is available? Is there a spot for this stuff on the portal?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

How do I find out about these services? I want to weigh the RV

I'll bet you can find someone near your home that can weigh your trailer for much cheaper than you'll probably pay at the rally.

I know that someone offered to bring a scale to the Arizona HOC Rally at Quartzsite . . . and as I recall they were going to charge $95!

I just had my trailer weighed at a landscaping supply store last week . . . FREE if you just want to know the weight of your trailer and $10 for DMV certification!

jnbhobe

Weighing at the rally will cost $60. There is a big difference between pulling on a scale and having your rig weighed. You will get individual wheel weights of the trailer and truck and know where you are heavy or lite. Every one should do it at least once.

danemayer

I'll bet you can find someone near your home that can weigh your trailer for much cheaper than you'll probably pay at the rally.

I know that someone offered to bring a scale to the Arizona HOC Rally at Quartzsite . . . and as I recall they were going to charge $95!

I just had my trailer weighed at a landscaping supply store last week . . . FREE if you just want to know the weight of your trailer and $10 for DMV certification!

The rally weigh-in gets your individual wheel weights. Trailer weight is not evenly distributed and it can be helpful to know how much each wheel is carrying. You could get a $10 weight at any CAT Scale, find you're under the trailer's GVWR, and think everything is ok. But when you get the individual wheel weights, it may turn out that one wheel is over its weight rating. Or perhaps one axle or one side.

At the 2011 Goshen Rally, we found that the trailer was 1,000 lbs under its GVWR which we could have gotten from a CAT Scale. The pin weight was nearly 1,000 lbs heavier than the empty trailer spec. We could have calculated that by doing multiple passes on a CAT Scale reading combined weight, and then truck alone. But we also found out that individual wheel weights ranged from 2,500 to 3,450 lbs and side-to-side weight differed by 800 lbs. We couldn't have gotten that from a CAT Scale. Having learned that, with things moved around inside, the next time we weighed in 2013, side-to-side difference was only 250 lbs and the spread from heaviest to lightest tire was only 150 lbs. And we were 1,000 lbs heavier.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Seriously Bob, you have a good idea. The obvious problem is how to get the truck and trailer.

Dan I was thinking that we might get an older trailer from a dealer or Heartland and use our own truck. Most of us have 5th wheel hitch. I can pull 5th Wheel, Goose neck, and TT's. Nothing would be in the trailer so weight shouldn't be a problem for anyone with at least a 3/4ton.

So getting Heartland to help is now mute (no hard feelings about this). But if we could talk someone with a trailer we could use we could still take it out into the big parking lot and practice.

I think this would be a great thing to do. I'm not really trying to make this into a contest. Just a good way to practice. Also someone with a lot of good experience could help those that are unsure of their backing abilities.

Maybe next time.

BC

jbeletti

So getting Heartland to help is now mute (no hard feelings about this). But if we could talk someone with a trailer we could use we could still take it out into the big parking lot and practice.

Hi Bob - my role is to plan and execute this rally. The item that is getting a lot of play here the last couple of days was not on my plan. I am to the point in this rally that setting something like this up (truck, RV, getting the lot cleared, signups, process management etc.) is just something I don't want to add to my plate at this time.

porthole

Retired

But we also found out that individual wheel weights ranged from 2,500 to 3,450 lbs and side-to-side weight differed by 800 lbs. We couldn't have gotten that from a CAT Scale. Having learned that, with things moved around inside, the next time we weighed in 2013, side-to-side difference was only 250 lbs and the spread from heaviest to lightest tire was only 150 lbs. And we were 1,000 lbs heavier.

you moved 400+ pounds from one side to the other?

danemayer

you moved 400+ pounds from one side to the other?
Hi Duane,

Some of Ann's stuff migrated to the door side. Stuff in the basement was moved around. We also added 1000 lbs over 2 years, and a lot of it also got placed on the door side.

I was initially skeptical of the 2013 results because of that significant side-to-side change. I talked to Walter Cannon about it. He was pretty confident that the scales at the rally were accurate. I also stopped at a CAT Scale to confirm the overall weight. The difference between CAT Scale and rally weight was negligible.