2015 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

DW_Gray

Re: 2015 Goshen Rally - Tour Tickets Still Available

The rally weigh-in gets your individual wheel weights. Trailer weight is not evenly distributed and it can be helpful to know how much each wheel is carrying. You could get a $10 weight at any CAT Scale, find you're under the trailer's GVWR, and think everything is ok. But when you get the individual wheel weights, it may turn out that one wheel is over its weight rating. Or perhaps one axle or one side.

At the 2011 Goshen Rally, we found that the trailer was 1,000 lbs under its GVWR which we could have gotten from a CAT Scale. The pin weight was nearly 1,000 lbs heavier than the empty trailer spec. We could have calculated that by doing multiple passes on a CAT Scale reading combined weight, and then truck alone. But we also found out that individual wheel weights ranged from 2,500 to 3,450 lbs and side-to-side weight differed by 800 lbs. We couldn't have gotten that from a CAT Scale. Having learned that, with things moved around inside, the next time we weighed in 2013, side-to-side difference was only 250 lbs and the spread from heaviest to lightest tire was only 150 lbs. And we were 1,000 lbs heavier.
I second what Dane said.

In reference to self RV weighing, here is a statement at Fifth Wheel St. that encourages wheel-by-wheel weighing.

"Although Fifth Wheel St. provides the convenient method of weighing your tow vehicle and towable at the nearest truck scales, our safety report can never substitute for the advanced weighing procedure consisting of wheel-by-wheel weighing. Whenever possible, weigh each wheel position at a location that provides the advanced towing safety report."

olcoon

You've got to keep in mind what the truck scales are for. Then consider the semi tractors & trailers. We aren't driving heavy duty rigs designed for pulling massive loads from point A to point B. The truck scales are only to weigh a rig to make sure it's not overloaded for how it's licensed, or for payment for delivering the load.

In many cases, our coaches are designed and built to live in, and from what I've seen the major components, axels, springs, tires & wheels, will barely exceed the maximum payload the company "expects" to be on the rig. Same with our trucks, I've seen people pulling big Landmarks, or Big Horns with a ¾ ton truck, that sometimes a 1 ton shouldn't be pulling.

I've been an RV owner & member of this forum since April of 2011. We went from tent camping to a 5th wheel & I didn't know anything about this lifestyle. During this time, I've read & learned a bunch, mainly from reading this & other forums. One thing that seems common is problems with tires/wheels, and axels. I've also learned that some, possibly most, of these issues are caused from overloading the rig, both axels, 1 axel, one tire/wheel, etc. The real advantage to weighing each wheel on your coach & TV is so that you can see if 1 axel, 1 wheel, one side, or the pin are overloaded so that you can prevent some of these issues. I waited until I had an issue with my TowMax tires before I replaced them, and I feel the issue that brought the change of tires was my fault. I had 21,543 miles on the original tires. I feel that part of the reason I was that successful it that we went to the 2011 Goshen rally & had the rig weighed so I knew how to load everything so one of the axels, tires, etc weren't overloaded creating a potential problem down the road.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Tha'ts all fine and dandy . . .

But how long after having each wheel weighed before you don't realize that you have loaded unevenly all over again?

Sounds like a never ending cycle to me . . .

Sure, you can eyeball the load . . . or guess that you have it right . . .

DW_Gray

You've got to keep in mind what the truck scales are for. Then consider the semi tractors & trailers. We aren't driving heavy duty rigs designed for pulling massive loads from point A to point B. The truck scales are only to weigh a rig to make sure it's not overloaded for how it's licensed, or for payment for delivering the load.

Maybe this article will shed some light about scales. Truck Scale Accuracy - A Weighty Issue Revealed

Seren

I am so bad at backing, if there were a lot of people watching, I would probably get so nervous I would jack knife the trailer and bust out the rear window of the truck.

Ohhhhh, who told you? I did that exact thing last October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seren

Hi all - there are no RV driving/backing courses planned for this year. Sorry.

No RV driving course?!? How am I suppose to get to my next campground after the rally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

porthole

Retired

Maybe this article will shed some light about scales. Truck Scale Accuracy - A Weighty Issue Revealed

So Dave's research answers a question or 2.

And, it will lead me to having the rig weighed at a CAT scale opposed to individual scales that get put down like playing cards and have unknown calibration tests.

Dave, during your research with CAT, was it brought up wether placement on the scale has an effect on accuracy?

Example being that there are 3 platforms at a CAT scale. Does accuracy change if your trailer tires are at the beginning, middle or end of the 3rd platform?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

And, it will lead me to having the rig weighed at a CAT scale opposed to individual scales that get put down like playing cards and have unknown calibration tests.

Dave, during your research with CAT, was it brought up wether placement on the scale has an effect on accuracy?

Example being that there are 3 platforms at a CAT scale. Does accuracy change if your trailer tires are at the beginning, middle or end of the 3rd platform?

I remember back in the early 70's when I started pulling a travel trailer when I was 10 years old in southern Michigan and northern Indiana (yes, I lived near Elkhart back then) . . . you hooked up the trailer to your pickup truck and went camping!

And never had any of these issues or problems . . .

None of these issues ever came up back then . . .

Just sayin' . . .

DW_Gray

Very good question, Duane. One of my electro-mechanical tech duties at the postal service was calibrating platform scales.

All truck scales have minimum of four load cells with one located at each of the four corners. Larger scales (long rectangle) will have additional load cells in the center along each long side. Due to these load cell placements, any item being weighed can be at any location on the scale surface and it will still have an accurate reading. All load cells are tied the computer and the computer can calculate the weight no matter the load position.

In my duties, after the calibration procedure, I always placed the 1500 pound calibration weight at various locations to verify the accuracy and there never was a weight difference. In between the semi-annual calibration, I'd stand on the scales at different locations (not a requirement, just a technical perfectionist).

jbeletti

The Rally Special for Elkhart Satellite has been added to the Rally Portal. Here's a link to the announcement in the Rally Specials thread. It has more details that you may want to know.

happykraut

Jim, will Lippert provide the free fork oil service to the 6pt level up like they did in 2013? I added my own some time ago, but it is now popping again.

jbeletti

Jim, will Lippert provide the free fork oil service to the 6pt level up like they did in 2013? I added my own some time ago, but it is now popping again.

Not that I'm aware of Bernie. I'd swing by their trailer as soon as you see it setup and ask them about it.

Rodbuster

I looked, but can't seem to find it.
What is the deadline date to submit a request for 2 minors repairs at the 2015 Goshen Rally?

Thank you
Dick

Rodbuster

Probably early May timeframe will be the cut-off for requesting service items as Service needs to order the parts in and get it all bagged, organized and loaded into the service trailer. I'll get with Service on this to get a firm date.

On the previous post, I asked just about the same question and then dug up this post.
The reason I'd like to know the deadline date is that I have a couple of projects that would need parts to be ordered. If I feel the time frame is running too close, I would not order the parts and have these "minor repairs" done in Goshen.

Thank you
Dick

jbeletti

On the previous post, I asked just about the same question and then dug up this post.
The reason I'd like to know the deadline date is that I have a couple of projects that would need parts to be ordered. If I feel the time frame is running too close, I would not order the parts and have these "minor repairs" done in Goshen.

Thank you
Dick

Sorry Dick - there's no firm date set yet. For planning purposes, consider using May 1.

Last edited: