2015 Landmark 365 - Hot Water Quantity and Flow

Bryced15

We just moved into our LM365 Newport on Thursday. The hot water heater had been turned on for 24 hours before my wife took her first shower. She had less than 10 minutes of hot water before it turned ice cold. Her second shower tonight was the same way (I shower in our bathroom in the garage). We even have the oxygenics shower head to reduce water usage. I know something isn't right. We are only running off of electric on the WH since we are inside the garage and don't want the fumes from the gas. We had more hot water than this in our old Landmark with a 10 gal tank on elec only. We can't take it back to our dealer to get it looked at since we are full timing or I would. I checked the bypass and outdoor shower. They are as they should be. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

danemayer

Re: 2015 Landmark Newport poor hot water

Hi Bryced15,

Your new coach might have better water flow, allowing you to consume the hot water faster. Let me suggest you see how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon container with just hot water from the shower head. If it takes 30 seconds, that equals 2 gpm flow rate. If you assume a 50/50 mix of hot and cold water, your 2 gpm flow rate might be using 1 gpm of hot water. With a 12 gallon hot water heater, that would give you a 12 minute shower before the water is cold.

If the mix is 60/40, it might be closer to 10 minutes.

It could also be that the water in your old water heater was a few degrees hotter. If that were the case, the hot/cold mix would use less hot water and the shower would run longer before getting cold.

On a Suburban unit, the thermostat should give you water at 130 degrees. If you check the hot water at the faucet closest to the water heater, you should be able to verify how close you are to 130 degrees. If the temp is lower, you may need to replace the thermostat.

jbeletti

Bryce,

Sounds like you checked the most-typical things (bypass and outside shower).

Two ideas and one is a stretch:
1. Big air pocket in water heater tank? Doubtful but dunno...
2. Something wrong with bypass valve?

As a test, you could turn off the water to the coach, turn off the pump and turn off the water heater and drain the tank, while the water is hot to see how much water you get from it. Messy, especially if you're in a garage. Note, take pressure off the water heater tank by opening a hot water tap before you attempt to drain it. Drain by removing anode rod.

Bryced15

Update:
My wife just informed me that she had the handle (single handle in this shower) turned to the full hot stopping point and the temperature was just "comfortably hot" before going cold. I'm now leaning towards Dan's idea of the mixture/temp. I would think the handle turned to the max would be too hot to shower with normally? So, instead of using a mixture of hot/cold she's using 100% water coming from the water heater resulting in a short shower. Possible thermostat problem as Dan stated? I'll check the water temperate once it reheats.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Check you outside shower water controls. If your valves on those are not completely turned off your hot and cold water will be affected throughout the system.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

I agree with For20hunter check your UDC shower controls and make sure they are off. I had experienced the same problem and the outdoor shower was my fix.

jbeletti

Jim and Rod,

Bryce already mentioned:
"I checked the bypass and outdoor shower"

Keep the ideas coming though. Perhaps Bryce will do the testing Dan suggests (temperature and flow).

Bryced15

Well, I checked the temperature and it is exactly 130 degrees... Wife says she feels like the flow is the same as the old Landmark. She never ran out of hot water in the old coach, same shower head. This water heater is 2 gallons bigger. I'm perplexed to say the least...

AAdams

There more than likely an adjustment to allow the handle to turn further to the hot. As it sits you are more than likely mixing cold into the how at the valve, as the water in the water heater becomes more tempered the shower valve is still adding more cold before it reaches the shower head. With the older 2 handle units you could cut the cold side down as your water became cooler to keep it hot. I would try to find out what brand the valve is and see if you could adjust the stop on it so it would go further to the hot side. The newer valves are made to be adjusted ( Where I worked we had to set them no higher than 120 degrees ). On some valves adjustments are as simple as removing the handle and just moving a plastic piece that has 'splines' counter clockwise and putting the handle back on, others are more difficult. Since I do not know what brand is in there I can't tell you exactly.

rxbristol

I've read that the Suburban hot water heaters once heated using electricity, will not turn back on until the water is at 100 degrees. With cold water coming in it will be too late to keep the water hot enough for a shower. If your thermostat is not exactly calibrated it could exacerbate the situation.

branson4020

Icantre Member

When the water goes cold in the shower, manually activate the pop-off pressure relief valve on the tank and check the temp. Just gathering more data...

danemayer

Well, I checked the temperature and it is exactly 130 degrees... Wife says she feels like the flow is the same as the old Landmark. She never ran out of hot water in the old coach, same shower head. This water heater is 2 gallons bigger. I'm perplexed to say the least...

A 10 minute shower is probably using up all the hot water on a 12 gallon tank unless you have very low water flow. If you've been operating right at the limit of the hot water supply in the old trailer, a slight increase in water flow could reduce the time just enough to make it noticeable.

Subdrv

2015 Landmark Newport poor hot water

Here is another thought, I have noticed that if it is really cold outside I can run out of hot water, because the water coming in drops the temp faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bryced15

These are all really good pointers. I believe I'm coming to realize this is all a combination of things from everyone's comments. When we were last living in our old Landmark before we sold it, it was summer warmth time. We are running off of well water, so much colder water right now compared to before. Probably higher water flow in new Landmark also. Last but not least, I believe my wife takes too hot of a shower for too long! :) Just going to have to adapt I believe. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

jnbhobe

Try running the propane with the electric a couple of times to see what happens, or maybe just the propane without the electric.

Bryced15

Try running the propane with the electric a couple of times to see what happens, or maybe just the propane without the electric.
We are in an enclosed 3600 sq ft garage with 16ft ceilings. How much fumes do you think would be given off from the water heater on propane? I've been afraid to try it although we have a lot of air space to dissipate. Thoughts?

branson4020

Icantre Member

The combustion products are mainly CO2 and H20 vapor. A modest amount of ventilation will be fine. Open the garage door an inch or so.

rxbristol

You can also change the thermostat out on the Suburban with the optional 140 degree one. This will give you a slightly longer shower. We use a Waterpik shower head and, while my wife uses full flow, I use the inline flow reducer to take a longer shower and still have enough hot water for a very hot quality shave.

jbeletti

Bryce,

If at the end of your testing, you determine that 12 gallons are being used and that is why you are running out, while not inexpensive, you may want to consider a tankless W/H. Your dealer installs them. You may be able to sell your W/H to help offset the costs as well.

Note though the the RV tankless heaters that are direct replacements, use propane only.