2016 22RBK Slide topper, yes or no

dc1418

Hi to all,

I just bought a NT 22RBK at the Hershy show last week. It had almost everything I was looking for in a camper. The one thing it does not have is a slide topper, and I was hoping to get some input from you folks as to, or not to, install a slide topper. Seems to me every slide out should have a topper, any downside to a good topper. I was thinking a Sideout Kover III, by Carefree, from camping world. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dc1418

danemayer

Hi dc1418,

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Pros: keeps the slide top clean, keeps water off the slide top, keeps heat off the slide top.
Cons: in windy areas, a slide topper can be noisy. In extreme weather, it's possible for a severe straight-line wind to tear the fabric, but this is pretty rare.

We have toppers on all 3 slides and love them.

Bones

We have toppers on all 5 slides and I would recommend them. Only once in a while do we hear the large slide topper making noise.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This really comes down to personal preference. As for us, we would not be without them. It keeps leaves and other debris off the top of the slide where we don't have to climb up and clean the top of the slide before retracting them. They can get noisy in high winds but we are used to that. Kind of like living by an airport, after awhile you don't even hear the planes.

pegmikef

We like ours and besides the obvious they are an additional hedge against the slide leaking should something happen to the seal.

TxCowboy

Aren't having the slide toppers also a good thermal barrier, particularly the white awnings?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We don't have slide toppers, but our main slide-out is under the awning, so I get the benefit!

However, two years ago on our July 4th. campout, a microburst wind blew through the campground and ruined just about every other camper's weekend!

Ripped out every slide topper in the campground!

I was going to get one installed the following week, until I witnessed this . . .

The choice is up to you . . .