2016 Elkridge 40 ft Looking to Have Generator Installed

3or88

I am looking to have generator installed in our new RV. 2016 Elkridge. I am looking for suggestions as to best generator options and also any ball park pricing I am look at. Any assistance is much appreciated.

danemayer

Hi 3or88,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of generator advice shortly, but it would be helpful if you could tell us about what you plan to do with the generator. Do you plan on boondocking and concurrently running 1 air conditioner, lights, toaster, coffee pot, microwave. Less? More?

Or is this just for backup in case of shore power outages?

3or88

Thank you for the response. I am looking to power as much as possible. I have 2 AC and the RV load is no more than 50amp total connected load.

sdwelling

I have a Cyclone with a 5500 watt Cummins Onan unit (gasoline) but think you'll be strictly on propane since the trailer already has that. Cummins Onan makes 5500 and 6500 watt propane gensets for rvs. I don't know if any other brands for rv installation in the states.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

esscobra

does your unit have gen prep option?

if not then install will be more involved- if it does then I recommend calling norwall- online has good deals but I called and sales rep told me ways to save extra -like 5% for joining their free online membership an cash discounts and even a 50 home depot gift card- got my 7k fuel injected with pump for less than 4800- also propane models are 15-20% less efficient than gas models- o if going propane route get the 6500 - you can never have too much power

porthole

Retired
Thank you for the response. I am looking to power as much as possible. I have 2 AC and the RV load is no more than 50amp total connected load.

2 AC's + 12-15 amps possible on startups
Converter 8-12 amps
Hot water heater 10-15 amps

You're almost at 50 amps there and you wife didn't turn on the hair dryer yet, while the coffee pot and micro were running, not that it has ever happened in our trailer :cool:

JamesL73

I am looking to have generator installed in our new RV. 2016 Elkridge. I am looking for suggestions as to best generator options and also any ball park pricing I am look at. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Hello. I recently bought my 2018 Elkridge 40FLFS and have been trying to research the same thing. I’m wondering if you have decided on a generator yet?? Mine actually has the Genset prep pkg but I’m just curious what would be the largest I can fit in the compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I don't know for sure but I'm betting it is setup for a 5500w Onan. AND the 7K Onan is exactly the same size, just a little heavier. Of course those are gas ratings, propane is less.

esscobra

all the onans will fit except for diesel ones- looka t 6500 lp or the 7k gas - I can run both a/c and microwave and tvs , sat computer, converter and res fridge no issues in 100 temp in south texas summer

Attachments

• ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 30
  • ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 36
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

JamesL73

all the onans will fit except for diesel ones- looka t 6500 lp or the 7k gas - I can run both a/c and microwave and tvs , sat computer, converter and res fridge no issues in 100 temp in south texas summer

Well since I’m also in South TX it sounds like the 7k is what I need. Would be nice to run diesel since I already have a diesel slip tank in my truck but I’ll make it work. Thanks.

porthole

Retired
Well since I’m also in South TX it sounds like the 7k is what I need. Would be nice to run diesel since I already have a diesel slip tank in my truck but I’ll make it work. Thanks.

You can do diesel, but it is a lot of work and added expense. The 8K quiet diesel is a few inches bigger and about 130 pounds heavier. The enclosure has to be made bigger as well.

JamesL73

You can do diesel, but it is a lot of work and added expense. The 8K quiet diesel is a few inches bigger and about 130 pounds heavier. The enclosure has to be made bigger as well.

I’ll look into that and do up a cost analysis. I would much prefer that to having to go fill a bunch of jugs with gas when I’m already carrying diesel for the truck. Thanks