2017 RG22 Fresh Water Tank falling out...

Ziggy49

Noticed the bottom covering is sagging on the front axle. Crawled underneath, and I can lift what I assume is the fresh water tank, which is empty. I can push it up 4-5 inches at least.
Anyone have this happen, possible method to fix.?
I have not dropped the bottom covering yet, as it is all one piece from front to back, and would be a huge job. If I cut it, not sure how to reattach it so it won't fall off.
Any advice appreciated.

Also the screws holding the bottom covering are odd, some look like hex head bolts, but some have odd multi-point rubber on them.
Any help on these? Pics attached...

Attachments

• Bolthead small.jpg
    Bolthead small.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Headless small.jpg
    Headless small.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • Sag little.jpg
    Sag little.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 21

jerryjay11

I've read about the straps breaking on the water tank in past blogs. I would just cut the barrier to gain access to the tank and use a waterproof tape, such a gorilla tape, to seal it up again. For the headless fasteners you'll have to pry them out and replace with hex head fasteners as these are apparently pressed in at the factory. I used stainless steel screws to reattach my barrier after tracing a wire issue. The hex head screws in there may just snap while trying to remove so be prepared to drill out new fastener holes. Maybe someone has a better idea, but this is what I would do.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Grind those fasteners off and get some self drilling tec screws and fender washers for when you put it back together.
As suggested cut a flap to inspect but be careful you don't cut into a tank.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

Go and purchase an inspection camera. Stick thru the side and see if you see anything in there. If you need, you can still cut a small opening to insert the camera under the spot you suspect.
I bought a cheap one at Menard's for around $20.00. For the cost it works good.

sengli

The formed water tanks rest on their edges on a frame rail when empty. The metal straps only come into play after it is filled and the weight needs to be held back as the tanks distort. I dont ever tow with hardly any on board water, so mine tanks havent had to endure the stress of that 8 pounds per gallon burden.

NYSUPstater

Knock on wood, we've towed w/ fresh tank filled to max for a w/e and what didn't get used came back home then emptied. As for the black tank, well it always has at least 10 gallons of water and chems all the time and if dry camping, all comes back home and dump when we can. Same w/ both grey tanks. My thinking says that the tanks should be able to withstand the rigors of road travel when full. If not, then what's the point especially if boon docking?

jnbhobe

I always travel with a full tank of water, I have a piece of C-channel bolted under the tank across the frame. I have traveled that way for 40 years

rhodies1

If you cut a section out to get at the tank,do the following to hold the section back up.
Go to local building supply store and pick up 2 pcs of 1x3 stapling - 8 ft.
Once your finished the tank repair ,measure from inside frame channel to inside frame channel and cut you strapping to fit.
Drill frame rail edge on each side ,install strapping ,bolting to drilled rails .
Then when you put the section of underbelly back up ,screw underbelly to strapping, then cover cuts with gorilla tape