2017 Super Duty definitely reaching for the stars!!

MP_CS

So i just sold my current TV because i wanted to upgrade to a crew cab and was all set to buy a used 16 F-350. Unfortunately about a week ago theysold the truck and I hadn't mine yet so i am in the market to find 16 "leftover" superduty or the dealer said he could order me exactly what i want in a 17. Which sit so much higher. Im leaning more towards the 17 but if i go that route I'll have to lift my XLT. According to CAT scales my fiver weighs just under 9200lbs, would blocks be ok or longer spring hangers? The axles are already underneath the hangers so i cant simply flip. Whats the best route to go? Thanks -Chris

Last edited:

dave10a

The 2017 Superduty is a better truck than the 2016 because of its improved tow capacity. Also Ford leap frogged the industry in 2017 like they did in 2011. More power, better economy, more rugged, improved handling and more GVW and etc. To me it is a no brainer.

MP_CS

The 2017 Superduty is a better truck than the 2016 because of its improved tow capacity. Also Ford leap frogged the industry in 2017 like they did in 2011. More power, better economy, more rugged, improved handling and more GVW and etc. To me it is a no brainer.

Thats all well and good but if i cant haul my fiver it is mute..

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thats all well and good but if i cant haul my fiver it is mute..

In your sig photo it looks like your 5'ver is towing quite high in the front.

Mine is riding a mere 4 1/2 inches high in the front and it appears that this has damaged or ruined our rear axle.

I do have enough room to lower it a couple of inches (not sure why the dealership didn't do that to begin with???), but here we are.

MP_CS

In your sig photo it looks like your 5'ver is towing quite high in the front.

Mine is riding a mere 4 1/2 inches high in the front and it appears that this has damaged or ruined our rear axle.

I do have enough room to lower it a couple of inches (not sure why the dealership didn't do that to begin with???), but here we are.

Its actually kind of an optical illusion i think because when i installed my timbrens in that truck i measured before and after and according to a two foot level inside on kitchen floor it was almost level before. Thats why im worried about the new superduty and being able to tow my fiver level. According to my measurements of the 17 vs my current its 2 3/4" - 3" higher to top of bedrail than my current/old truck. I cant lower the hitch enough and still keep the requisite 6" min between bedrails, the way i see it the only option is lifting the camper and I'm not sure i wanna get into that.

SNOKING

I thought the new frame was a catch up item to RAM and maybe the newest GM's? Where did you get the better economy numbers?

MP_CS

I thought the new frame was a catch up item to RAM and maybe the newest GM's? Where did you get the better economy numbers?

I too remember reading something about a tad bit higher projected economy but I believe it was related to a revamp to the 6 speed tranny. Maybe some taller ratios or something like that i think it said. That's actually something else that worries me alittle. Im just thinking that theres starting to be a few to many "cons" and for the current incentives id be way better off with a leftover if i can find one to suit my fancy.

JohnD

The best way to measure towing level is to hitch up the trailer and measure each corner from the frame to the ground.

MP_CS

The best way to measure towing level is to hitch up the trailer and measure each corner from the frame to the ground.

Doesnt matter anymore because my 09 is gone. Im just trying to see if i end up with a 2017 super duty what available options their are for lifting the sundance.

JohnD

Doesnt matter anymore because my 09 is gone. Im just trying to see if i end up with a 2017 super duty what available options their are for lifting the sundance.

Some may suggest flipping the axles, but don't do it if you ever plan on trading it in.

When we traded in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner for our Prowler we had just one week before upgraded both axles and all springs, and they asked if I had flipped the axles.

They told me that had I flipped the axles that they would not have accepted the Trail Runner for a trade-in.

MP_CS

Some may suggest flipping the axles, but don't do it if you ever plan on trading it in.

When we traded in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner for our Prowler we had just one week before upgraded both axles and all springs, and they asked if I had flipped the axles.

They told me that had I flipped the axles that they would not have accepted the Trail Runner for a trade-in.

Axles are already on bottom, have been ever since new. I am hoping some short blocks and longer u bolts will be ok, just looking for some experience/opinions.

SNOKING

Axles are already on bottom, have been ever since new. I am hoping some short blocks and longer u bolts will be ok, just looking for some experience/opinions.

Adding a subframe and 2x2" 1/8" square tubing side to side at all three spring hanger locations is the correct way to handle the height issue. First step getting in may require a external portable step. Chris

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

We had the exact same issue with our XLT. We had a hitch lowered in the bed as far as we could, allowing the minimum bed rail clearance. But we were still 2-3 inches high in the nose. There was someone on the forum a few years back with a Sundance XLT that did exactly what you are talking about. Added 2" x 2" box channel. I think 3/16 inch thick. Plate welded the ends closed. A set of longer U bolts and he was done. He also upgraded to a set of 16 inch rims with a 1 inch larger diameter tire. This gave him a total of 3" of height he needed. He put several thousand miles on with no issue. Maybe this is an option for you.

I was at two different Ford dealerships this week in our area. Both had a few 16s left over. I am quite sure a 16 would handle your trailer and a lot of larger trailers you might eventually upgrade to. There is a lot of happy 2011-16 Ford owners out there. Those Fords are towing beasts....

MP_CS

We had the exact same issue with our XLT. We had a hitch lowered in the bed as far as we could, allowing the minimum bed rail clearance. But we were still 2-3 inches high in the nose. There was someone on the forum a few years back with a Sundance XLT that did exactly what you are talking about. Added 2" x 2" box channel. I think 3/16 inch thick. Plate welded the ends closed. A set of longer U bolts and he was done. He also upgraded to a set of 16 inch rims with a 1 inch larger diameter tire. This gave him a total of 3" of height he needed. He put several thousand miles on with no issue. Maybe this is an option for you.

I was at two different Ford dealerships this week in our area. Both had a few 16s left over. I am quite sure a 16 would handle your trailer and a lot of larger trailers you might eventually upgrade to. There is a lot of happy 2011-16 Ford owners out there. Those Fords are towing beasts....

I have a friend who did the same on a slightly larger fiver and I've never heard of any issues. I think im light enough that i could get away with it. There's currently around $9k worth of discounts including my x-plan available on the 16's so that's definitely the route i wanna go as long as my dealer can dealer trade for the one i want. The truck i want is at a ford dealer in dillsburg pa and my dealers going to see if there willing to trade it. Guess we'll have to see. Thanks for all the replies

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Look down here in Tx, may be some more, or even a good used one. Cars.com is a good site for searching specifically. Fly down and pick it up, drive it back! Another owner did that recently, from Oregon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP_CS

Look down here in Tx, may be some more, or even a good used one. Cars.com is a good site for searching specifically. Fly down and pick it up, drive it back! Another owner did that recently, from Oregon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definately a good suggestion you texans sure do have lots of trucks, lol